ADVERTISEMENT

I miss Drive-In movies! I heard a news report Wal-Mart was going to

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
make available over a hundred of their parking lots for Drive-In movies. The report didn't mention which towns/cities would show the movies. But I have loved Drive Ins every since I can remember.

Me too....here are the one's I remember...

Greer Drive In (mom and dad took us here a lot).
Moonlight in Inman
Thunderbirld in Spartanburg
Cedar Lane Drive IN in Greenville...I think it went X rated in the early 80s
South 29 in Spartanburg..the X rated drive in.

When we did not go to the drive in movies...my dad liked to go to Greenville/Pickens Speedway or Riverside Speedway (dirt track in Travelers Rest)...I do say I miss Riverside Speedway...

Reactions: The Coup Nazi

Moonlight in Inman

When we did not go to the drive in movies...my dad liked to go to Greenville/Pickens Speedway or Riverside Speedway (dirt track in Travelers Rest)...I do say I miss Riverside Speedway...

I've been to the Drive In in Greer before, saw the Shaggy Dog many many years ago.

Reactions: Brace1 and Expro19
I haven’t been to the one in Greenwood, although it’s fairly close to where I live. There’s also one in Monetta, SC. TN-Gamecock, it seems as if you are close to my wife’s relatives. She has an aunt in Erwin.

I haven’t been to the one in Greenwood, although it’s fairly close to where I live. There’s also one in Monetta, SC. TN-Gamecock, it seems as if you are close to my wife’s relatives. She has an aunt in Erwin.
Who is your aunt? I know lots of folks...There are a lot of folks from Upstate SC that live here...Several of my high school classmates from JF Byrnes live in the TriCIties...

The ones we use to attend a lot when I was in high school were:
The Skyland Drive In - Poinsett Hwy.
The Augusta Road Drive In
The Whitehorse Road Drive In.

There were others but it seems like the ones above were the ones we frequented the most.

The ones we use to attend a lot when I was in high school were:
The Skyland Drive In - Poinsett Hwy.
The Augusta Road Drive In
The Whitehorse Road Drive In.

There were others but it seems like the ones above were the ones we frequented the most.
Seems like I do remember the one off Augusta Rd.. was it close to South Pleasantburg Dr and I 85? Can't say I remember the Skyland...There also used to be one if I'm not mistaken off US 29 going to Anderson.

Moonlight in Inman

I should remember the Cedar Lane Drive In but I don't off the top of my head.

Seems like I do remember the one off Augusta Rd.. was it close to South Pleasantburg Dr and I 85? Can't say I remember the Skyland...There also used to be one if I'm not mistaken off US 29 going to Anderson.

Yes, the Augusta Road Drive In was exactly where you described.

make available over a hundred of their parking lots for Drive-In movies. The report didn't mention which towns/cities would show the movies. But I have loved Drive Ins every since I can remember.

In regards to Drive-In movies and D-I Theatre's, my very first and very quick experience was back in the summer 1971!! And I was only at a stop-light as opposed to being actually inside the Drive-In parking area.

I was 4 years old and sitting in the front seat between my parents (didn't have any law enforced seatbelt nor baby seat laws back then!!). It was night time, though I have no idea as to the actual night nor time. In fact all I remember was, as we were sitting at the stop light, the movie screen was blatantly visible from the then BRAND NEW Hwy. 9. By-Pass in LA county - and totally 100% visible when actually stopped at the stop-light at Hwy 9 By-Pass and E. Meeting Str.!!

The only thing that I actually recall is that as we sat there at the stop light with my lil' 4 year old self plucked between my mom and dad, and as I was actually watchin' (certainly could not hear it!!), I said to Mom and Dad, "Hey look Daddy, them 2 wrestle in the bed without their clothes on just like you and momma do all the time!!".

All I can tell you then was that Momma yelled and told me not to be looking at that filthy movie, pulled my head down with her left hand and screamed at my daddy to quit his GD'd laughing!!!

Again, that was back in the summer of 1971 right close to my 48th month here and one of my very first challenges of comprehension!!

:D:cool::p

In regards to Drive-In movies and D-I Theatre's, my very first and very quick experience was back in the summer 1971!! And I was only at a stop-light as opposed to being actually inside the Drive-In parking area.

I was 4 years old and sitting in the front seat between my parents (didn't have any law enforced seatbelt nor baby seat laws back then!!). It was night time, though I have no idea as to the actual night nor time. In fact all I remember was, as we were sitting at the stop light, the movie screen was blatantly visible from the then BRAND NEW Hwy. 9. By-Pass in LA county - and totally 100% visible when actually stopped at the stop-light at Hwy 9 By-Pass and E. Meeting Str.!!

The only thing that I actually recall is that as we sat there at the stop light with my lil' 4 year old self plucked between my mom and dad, and as I was actually watchin' (certainly could not hear it!!), I said to Mom and Dad, "Hey look Daddy, them 2 wrestle in the bed without their clothes on just like you and momma do all the time!!".

All I can tell you then was that Momma yelled and told me not to be looking at that filthy movie, pulled my head down with her left hand and screamed at my daddy to quit his GD'd laughing!!!

Again, that was back in the summer of 1971 right close to my 48th month here and one of my very first challenges of comprehension!!

:D:cool::p

Now that there is funny as heck, I don't care who you are.

Reactions: Gaimcock

Moonlight in Inman

There is one (or use to be) near Elizabethton, Tn. right at the NC/TN state line. That one would not be very far from where you currently live.

The Skyland was on Poinsett Highway on the right headed toward Furman. Next to Wunda Weave and before the New China. An Ingles was later built on the site.

Moonlight in Inman

There was one Drive In on Hwy 29 near Taylor's. I remember going there at least once but it was many years ago. It was between the Old Liberty Life Building and Taylor's on Hwy 29.

Last edited:
Freddie and Tn-Gamecock, I’m new to posting. I’m a long time lurker here, and my kids and myself were photographed by GC in Tampa at the parade the day before the Outback Bowl in 2018. I don’t know how to dm you guys or email you. Can you or anyone on the board help me in this regard, please?

The Belmont. Kids could ride a firetruck. It was about where Texas Roadhouse is now.

You are right! I knew it was somewhere in that general area but couldn't remember exactly where. Plus, I couldn't remember the name Belmont but that was the name. Thanks for reminding me.

Reactions: uscclassof74
The Skyland was on Poinsett Highway on the right headed toward Furman. Next to Wunda Weave and before the New China. An Ingles was later built on the site.

Boy, you have a good memory. I hadn't thought about Wunda Weave in years. I knew a number of people that worked there over the years. And I have eaten at the New China many times. My first time was in the 5th grade we were studying China as a school project.

Freddie and Tn-Gamecock, I’m new to posting. I’m a long time lurker here, and my kids and myself were photographed by GC in Tampa at the parade the day before the Outback Bowl in 2018. I don’t know how to dm you guys or email you. Can you or anyone on the board help me in this regard, please?

I don't think there is a way unless one is a member of the Premium Board. Sorry but I am reluctant to post my e-mail address on the internet because my Personal Security has been breached.

Reactions: Mr_Blutarsky
Yes sir, I understand. I just wanted more information about the great American west and the places you’ve seen. I have friends that you may know. They’re from the Marion area. They sold their residential/ commercial electricians business, and moved to SC. TN-Gamecock probably knows my wife’s aunt. Erwin Tennessee isn’t a very big place.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Yes sir, I understand. I just wanted more information about the great American west and the places you’ve seen. I have friends that you may know. They’re from the Marion area. They sold their residential/ commercial electricians business, and moved to SC. TN-Gamecock probably knows my wife’s aunt. Erwin Tennessee isn’t a very big place.

Like I've said I have driven all over Wyoming, Montana and Colorado. I haven't hit every place but a lot of them. I love Yellowstone, Glacier National Park, Rocky Mountain National Park, Black Canyon as well as many other places I've seen in those states. I also visited Mt. Rushmore in South Dakota. The Black Hills were simply beautiful. I didn't get to see a lot of South Dakota but what I saw I really loved.

The thing about it is, those areas are so large you can only see a faction of those states in a two week time period. And we were only in Colorado for one week. But the fun part is trying to see everything you can see. On a separate trip we spend five days inside of Yellowstone in 2013 and visited the Grand Tetons and Jackson Hole. That was a great trip.

Ever been to New Mexico Freddie? I am dying to get out there. The wide-open spaces shown in Breaking Bad made me fall in love with it but I still haven’t made it out yet.

Never been to New Mexico but I've always wanted to go.

So here is my drive in story, and we still laugh about this one. In the late 60's, a friend of mine and myself were offered a few bucks by the folks who owned the old drive in on Number 1 in West Columbia to clean up. I was a little kid. My buddy was the older, more worldly guy. Maybe by a few days.

We proceeded to start picking up trash....cups, popcorn containers, candy wrappers. At one point, I noticed a rubbery, sort of elongated piece of trash. I started heading toward it and reaching out my hand when I heard....nnoooooooooooooooo!!!

Fortunately, my buddy had stopped me in time. I learned some new facts on the job that day at the drive in. I never understood how my buddy knew so much, we were in the same fifth grade all boys session in grammar school that left me bewildered. But thankfully, he must have paid more attention than me. I went home with my pay, probably not enough to buy one of those thingies, and told mom and dad about my workday.

I was never allowed back to clean up the drive in.

I've been to the Drive In in Greer before, saw the Shaggy Dog many many years ago.
Yeah those movies were awesome. If I remember correctly the shaggy DA was a part of those movies.. Great wholesome movies.. The first movie at a drive in that I watched was Grease. I saw it at the East Main drive-in in Lake City, SC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT