ADVERTISEMENT

I never thought I'd see the day..

Listen, I had this same conversation on this same forum last week. I work at Coastal. I’ve seen every Coastal game the last 9 years. I’m intimately familiar with the team. I know a lot of the players and coaches personally. Yes, this is probably the best team they’ve ever had, mainly because of McCall. But no, they’ve not “surpassed” Carolina. No, they would not beat Carolina. They have played above their expectations this year, again because of McCall. And I do feel they have a good chance because against App State and Liberty. But you’re kidding yourself if you think they’re in Carolina’s level, even as mediocre as Carolina is.

at the same time, the fact this conversation is even being had 2 weeks in a row speaks volumes about the amount of damage Muschamp and Tanner have done to this program.

Listen, I had this same conversation on this same forum last week. I work at Coastal. I’ve seen every Coastal game the last 9 years. I’m intimately familiar with the team. I know a lot of the players and coaches personally. Yes, this is probably the best team they’ve ever had, mainly because of McCall. But no, they’ve not “surpassed” Carolina. No, they would not beat Carolina. They have played above their expectations this year, again because of McCall. And I do feel they have a good chance because against App State and Liberty. But you’re kidding yourself if you think they’re in Carolina’s level, even as mediocre as Carolina is.

at the same time, the fact this conversation is even being had 2 weeks in a row speaks volumes about the amount of damage Muschamp and Tanner have done to this program.

While I tend to agree with you........we all were thinking the same thing about App St. before they came to Columbia a year ago. Of course, USC has more athletic talent than either App, or CCU. But sometimes a very confident, well coached team can beat a physically better team that isnt.

I think the “volumes” being spoken testify more to the delusion level of the yakety yak segment of the fanbase prevalent on social media and message boards.

Last edited:
Didn't we get our asses handed to us by App St late last year? That was the first clue.
If they have any basic understanding of gap integrity, they'd give us a good run. If that wasn't enough they could put in some HS JV QB whose voice hasn't changed yet and he could slice and dice our D like a Hibachi chef.

Last edited:
While I tend to agree with you........we all were thinking the same thing about App St. before they came to Columbia a year ago. Of course, USC has more athletic talent than either App, or CCU. But sometimes a very confident, well coached team can beat a physically better team that isnt.

again, as someone who is very familiar with Coastal’s program...Coastal MAY be better than this years App State due to players lost and coaching change. But this year’s Coastal is NOT close to last year’s App State in any way, shape, or form.

Based on beating Georgia State ???
Obviously this is an opinion of yours but it’s a little over the top because so many hate Muschamp
Over the top ? On FGF......no .......lol
You hit the nail on the head.

After the Citadel game I have never felt safe as a Gamecock fan.
Even Tators have bad games! Don’t let that Cadet fear takeover.

Where they the better TEAM that day, yes they stuck together with a common goal & spanked a SEC team not playing close to their capabilities.

no need to fear anymore The Champ would never lose a team from a lower division!

with the 5 stars we have on defense Pickens & Jordan no way a non-sec team kicks our tails!

Chadwell is a better coach than Muschamp. He has had success building programs at each place he has been. CCU may not have the 4 stars or 5 stars Carolina has, but Muschamp has proven he can lose to Sunbelt teams.

What should concern you is Coastal is making a good impression with kids in this state. 5 years ago you never saw kids with CCU stuff on, but now it is common. With the national publicity they are getting they are likely to only get better.

We have seen other smaller programs like Louisville(once an Independent) and Southern Miss give their instate SEC programs fits through the years. There is no reason a program like CCU with its location can't become a real issue for Carolina if things don't straighten up in Columbia

The Citadel and App State have beaten Carolina the last 5 years and yall don't think #15 Coastal could. Lol
Not on Talent, but if we turn the ball over, get silly penalties, call stupid games anybody can get beat!

we have to learn to play not beating ourselve- that’s half the battle.

Not on Talent, but if we turn the ball over, get silly penalties, call stupid games anybody can get beat!

we have to learn to play not beating ourselve- that’s half the battle.

No, Coastal doesn't have the SEC to attract 5 or 4 stars, but talent alone doesn't build programs. CCU has a better group of coaches known for development . That program will only get better and start attracting better recruits if Chadwell stays there

Chadwell is a better coach than Muschamp. He has had success building programs at each place he has been. CCU may not have the 4 stars or 5 stars Carolina has, but Muschamp has proven he can lose to Sunbelt teams.

What should concern you is Coastal is making a good impression with kids in this state. 5 years ago you never saw kids with CCU stuff on, but now it is common. With the national publicity they are getting they are likely to only get better.

We have seen other smaller programs like Louisville(once an Independent) and Southern Miss give their instate SEC programs fits through the years. There is no reason a program like CCU with its location can't become a real issue for Carolina if things don't straighten up in Columbia

That Coastal area needed a team bad but they won’t be competing for the same players we are or we are really in trouble in the SEC. We are recruiting 5,4,3 stars and they are recruiting 3,2 stars & walk-ins.

That Coastal area needed a team bad but they won’t be competing for the same players we are or we are really in trouble in the SEC. We are recruiting 5,4,3 stars and they are recruiting 3,2 stars & walk-ins.

The more they raise their profile the more attractive to recruits they get. They are likely to never land a 5 star, but they can certainly start to become a program like East Carolina once was that beats up on South Carolina. Anyone who lived through the 90s remembers those games vs ECU.

Just because USC is in the SEC and can recruit better doesn't mean they are the better football team. CCU can coach up 3 stars, Carolina lands top level QBs all the time and can't get any to actually stay and graduate

Didn't we get our asses handed to us by App St late last year? That was the first clue.
If they have any basic understanding of gap integrity, they'd give us a good run. If that wasn't enough they could put in some HS JV QB whose voice hasn't changed yet and he could slice and dice our D like a Hibachi chef.
No we didn't, we lost a game to them, one where we had a chance to win at the end but the qb couldn't complete a pass to the all time receptions leader who was wide open by 10 yards. That same qb over threw a wide open wr that lead to a pick 6 in a 5 point loss

No, Coastal doesn't have the SEC to attract 5 or 4 stars, but talent alone doesn't build programs. CCU has a better group of coaches known for development . That program will only get better and start attracting better recruits if Chadwell stays there
Who have they developed for the next level?

USC would beat Coastal by 3 TD atleast.
I went to coastal,glad they are having a great year, the Offense looks really good. They haven’t played anyone, but I’m still proud but knowing we’d beat the crap out of them.

how bad y’all think?
Do you watch us play? Apparently not.

No we didn't, we lost a game to them, one where we had a chance to win at the end but the qb couldn't complete a pass to the all time receptions leader who was wide open by 10 yards. That same qb over threw a wide open wr that lead to a pick 6 in a 5 point loss
I stand corrected. WE GOT BEATEN BY APP ST. last year. IDC how anyone nuances the explanation. We should never lose to App St unless it's year one of a rebuild.

Even Tators have bad games! Don’t let that Cadet fear takeover.

Where they the better TEAM that day, yes they stuck together with a common goal & spanked a SEC team not playing close to their capabilities.

no need to fear anymore The Champ would never lose a team from a lower division!

with the 5 stars we have on defense Pickens & Jordan no way a non-sec team kicks our tails!
The tater’s have never lost to the Citadel. Carolina has lost to them three times, 1950, 1990, 2015. I wouldn’t bring the tater’s into that particular conversation. It is easy to say Coastal would lose to Carolina by three TD’s after the game has been cancelled. With Muschamp any sort of mayhem is possible.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT