ADVERTISEMENT

I really hate we lost the one girl due to injury on our WBB team right before the playoffs. I think her

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
name was Lele Grissett, again I hate we lost her. But was she a very important part of us winning the National Championship? I know she had to be good to even be on the team and I hate to see anyone get injured but I guess what I'm asking, will her absence make it almost impossible for the team to win the National Championship?

Last edited:
name was Lele Grissett, again I hate we lost her. But was she a very important part of us winning the National Championship? I know she had to be good to even be on the team and I hate to see anyone get injured but I guess what I'm asking, will her absence make it almost impossible for the team to win the National Championship.
It will make it very hard if for no other reason than numbers. Dawn plays mostly 7 girls and now to do that she has to play someone she is not as comfortable with. Elle was first off the bench and a mismatch in numerous ways. She did all the dirty work and was good for a few steals, easy fast break layups and filled in great for most starters. I think it makes beating Maryland, should we meet them, very hard due to the pace they play and not having her numbers and energy.
i thought we would not win when Coates went down in 2017 and was proven wrong so hope it’s the same here.

name was Lele Grissett, again I hate we lost her. But was she a very important part of us winning the National Championship? I know she had to be good to even be on the team and I hate to see anyone get injured but I guess what I'm asking, will her absence make it almost impossible for the team to win the National Championship.
She was not a member of the 2017 Championship team, but she was indeed a member of last year’s unofficial Championship team. So far her loss has not been felt — Amihere has scored as much as Grissette had, and Amihere plays better defense. Beal has really stepped up offensively and defensively to fill the gap. Beal has the stamina to play a lot of minutes to shoulder the load when Amihere starts turning the ball over — as she often does.

It will make it very hard if for no other reason than numbers. Dawn plays mostly 7 girls and now to do that she has to play someone she is not as comfortable with. Elle was first off the bench and a mismatch in numerous ways. She did all the dirty work and was good for a few steals, easy fast break layups and filled in great for most starters. I think it makes beating Maryland, should we meet them, very hard due to the pace they play and not having her numbers and energy.
i thought we would not win when Coates went down in 2017 and was proven wrong so hope it’s the same here.
I don’t see any way we can get past Maryland if we beat GT. But then again, I didn’t see us getting to today’s game. We’ll see how it all plays out.

Not saying this team can't win it, but this team isn't as formidable as 2017's. And last year's team might have been the best of them all.

Beating Maryland will be a formidable task. Everyone will have to bring their A game, no exceptions.

Maryland leads the nation in scoring (I think because I am to lazy to look it up) and defense will be the key...

Offense has to hit on all cylinders. Reduce the number of missed layups, threes, and of course, foul shots.

She was not a member of the 2017 Championship team, but she was indeed a member of last year’s unofficial Championship team. So far her loss has not been felt — Amihere has scored as much as Grissette had, and Amihere plays better defense. Beal has really stepped up offensively and defensively to fill the gap. Beal has the stamina to play a lot of minutes to shoulder the load when Amihere starts turning the ball over — as she often does.

I didn't make myself clear, I meant does the fact we lost Lele put us out of contention for the National Championship.

Amihere is a mismatch nightmare. You seem to have had it out for here all year so I would guess you have not seen her progress.

Reactions: Goody101
Maryland has not played many elite defenses. I like our chances as they have been severley slowed down tonight in the first half against Texas.

Maryland has not played many elite defenses. I like our chances as they have been severley slowed down tonight in the first half against Texas.
Maryland averaged 53 pts a game through their first two NCAA games and now only 32 in first half against Texas. I think our game if they win will be quite interesting.

Reactions: Brace1
name was (?) Lele Grissett, again I hate we lost her. But was she a very important part of us winning the National Championship? I know she had to be good to even be on the team and I hate to see anyone get injured but I guess what I'm asking, will her absence make it almost impossible for the team to win the National Championship.
Her name still is Lele Grissett.

We should win this for LeLe like ND won one for the Gipper.

Go Cocks!

I don’t see any way we can get past Maryland if we beat GT. But then again, I didn’t see us getting to today’s game. We’ll see how it all plays out.
giphy.gif

Amihere is a mismatch nightmare. You seem to have had it out for here all year so I would guess you have not seen her progress.
My comment acknowledged her pros and cons. She has made some progress but she still turns the ball over a lot. In fact, in today’s game she made such a horrendous turnover that Dawn took her out immediately. You disagree that she turns the ball over a lot? Or that she misses shots under the basket?

My comment acknowledged her pros and cons. She has made some progress but she still turns the ball over a lot. In fact, in today’s game she made such a horrendous turnover that Dawn took her out immediately. You disagree that she turns the ball over a lot? Or that she misses shots under the basket?

To be fair, Lele turned the ball over a lot as well. With Amihere AND Littleton taking Lele's minutes, our turnovers have gone down in the tournament. Amihere only had 3 turnovers today. She also only missed two shots from the field and none from the free throw line. It's a good time for her to be best playing her best ball. Hopefully she can keep it up.

Lele was an important factor for the team - she could disappear in some games, commit turnovers or fouls, but could also have games where she scored 10+ ppg or have 5-10 rpg, and was a good-sized athletic player that could play either 2-3-4 positions effectively. So her contributions will be missed.

Having stated that, the 2016-17 team lost starting Post Alaina Coates just before the NCAAT - and she was a longtime starter who averaged a double-double and owns the program's career record for FG % efficiency. Didn't stop us from winning the Championship that season, though....

It requires the others to step up. Eniya Russell, Elysa Wesolek, and Olivia Thompson will have to shoulder more responsibility going forward in the tournament.

More immediately however, Laeticia Amihere and Destiny Littleton will take the lion's share of the minutes that used to go to Grissett. Victaria Saxton was barely averaging over 20+ minutes per game as a starter, as she was rotated with Amihere and Grissett, but now she's going to take on more minutes too, which shouldn't be too hard a job.

Has it been an issue thus far? In the 3 NCAAT games played, Amihere has been producing like a starter: 14-25 (56.0%) from the field, averaging 11.3 ppg and 8.0 rpg. Saxton has stepped up her efforts: 15-23 (65.2%), 13.0 ppg, 6.0 rpg, 2.3 bpg.

Littleton has hit some big three-pointers for us, averaging 4.3 ppg and 3.7 rpg, and has helped Henderson and Cooke handle the ball at times. In one game she scored 8 pts, in another she pulled down 7 boards.

And that's in addition to the regulars Cooke, Boston, and Henderson being average double-digit scorers. And while Beal has only averaged 6.0 ppg, she's shooting 8-17 (47.1%), has hit a couple of 3-ptrs to give opposing defenses something to think about, is averaging 7.3 rpg herself, and has been our lock-down defender on top scorers for the opponents not PGs or Posts.

I was a little concerned about Boston looking tired in today's game: the last game we played against Oregon St. was 5 days earlier - the team should've been well rested.

Hopefully she's good to go Tuesday - now that Maryland is out, we won't worry about playing against their up-tempo fast-break offense, although I felt our defense would be fine against them, and we're supposed to be a team that plays well up-tempo as well.

Schaefer's Texas won't be that offensive. Dawn and Vic know each other's styles like their last names, and Dawn has been comfortable going up against Vic's teams for the most part of their history against each other. Texas may also be a little emotionally drained Tuesday - we'll see.......

It requires the others to step up. Eniya Russell, Elysa Wesolek, and Olivia Thompson will have to shoulder more responsibility going forward in the tournament.

If you mean by helping Lele get around on her crutches, then I agree. If you mean by playing in the games, then I don't.

If they couldn't contribute against Mercer, then I'm not seeing them contributing much "going forward." The situation would have to be desperate for them to play meaningful minutes.

btw, Texas only played 6 players tonight. They got 1 point from their bench.

Schaefer's Texas won't be that offensive. Dawn and Vic know each other's styles like their last names, and Dawn has been comfortable going up against Vic's teams for the most part of their history against each other. Texas may also be a little emotionally drained Tuesday - we'll see.......

I expect that will be true (emotionally drained). We are so happy to finally have a good BB coach at Texas. He really doesn't have the players yet, but Texas is going to start contesting Baylor in our conference soon.

Reactions: gamecockblack
At least someone is saying "woman." Seriously, do we ever talk about the boys' basketball team?

Uuuuhhhh.......

Anyhow, Lele averaged 6.7 ppg and 4.2 rpg during the season. Before the NCAAT, Saxton was averaging 8.7 ppg and 5.9 rpg, and Amihere was averaging 6.2 ppg and 5.0 rpg.

In the NCAAT (through 4 gms thus far) Saxton is averaging 12.8 ppg and 6.5 rpg, and Amihere is averaging 11.0 ppg and 8.0 rpg. That's a combined increase of 8.9 ppg and 3.6 rpg of production from the two of those girls. That totally covers all of Lele's point production, and most of her rebound production. Beal is averaging 7.5 rpg in the NCAAT, which is 2.6 rpg more than she averaged prior to the NCAAT.

So add her extra rpg production to the others, and it's a combined extra 6.2 rpg.

So there you are!

Reactions: DarkCock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT