ADVERTISEMENT

I said all along that Mike Davis was making a mistake

He should've stayed, he probably could use one

more good year to both grow stronger and showcase his talents. I don't know if Spurrier is would ever do this, but a much more run based offense that STICKS to the run would give him a shot to really catch someone's eye...

1. Kiper is wrong as often as he is right about a lot of things

Relax, the Combine and Individual Workouts won't be here until sometime in the spring. 2. Davis is doing what he thinks is the right thing. 3. don't know what the rookie minimum is but it is substantially more than the average college grad. 4. The average life of an NFL RB is about 3 years so take the money now. He can come back and finish his degree if the NFL does not pan out.

Oh well. The man has always been extremely NFL minded. He was never going to be around more than 3 years.

Sorry but I was NOT impressed with Mike this season. Brandon seemed to get more yardage than Mike. Of course, the stats will show Mike with more yards but that's cuz they gave it to him more often. Mike just seemed to "play it safe" this year in anticipation of the draft.

There was no other back pushing him. If we somehow had a few stud backs behind him he would've either played harder or been out of a job. Of course he was here to see Marcus get injured so you know that was probably in his head. Can't blame him for that

If I had to run behind that offensive line next year, i'd leave for the NFL also.

Funny, I read the article and Kiper said Davis MAY drop to the 7th round. He also said Davis could go as early as the 4th round. Kioer also said Davis is the 9th best back in the class. Kiper's exact quote was " he's one of those guys that could go anywhere between the fourth and seventh rounds." Some only choose to read the parts that support their argument.

Thank you Mike for choosing to be a Gamecock. I want to wish you luck in your goal in playing in the NFL and hope yo have a long career. If it doesn't work out I hope you make sure you get your degree and find great success in whatever path you follow.

Another year in this offense wouldn't help MD. The defense will likely be bad and Spurrier showed he is quick to give up on the run and throw on every down even with a 4th quarter lead.

Let's at least wait for the chatter that comes from the combine before we deride a player's decision to leave early. Mel Kiper has no idea where most of these players will end up.

The way he played this past year, Im ready to see wilds and williams get the majority of the carries.

I saw late (4-7) but what makes you think another year would change that? RBs don't get drafted that high these days. He could just as easily get hurt. The reality is the avg career is 3 years, and 30 is considered ancient for a RB. Might as well go if you think you're ready. Earning window is very small and it's more important to make a roster, stick in the league, and get that second contract in 3 or 4 years than what round you were drafted in.

Hope he does well but won't miss the 2 carries and tap out for rest. Lattimore could carry a team when game was on line, Davis did not have that desire.

Even if you're right that he's making a mistake it's his decision. We don't know if it's smart or not based on some projection. Really I don't know why it is that whenever one of our guys leaves early, gets drafted late or not at all that some rush to the computer to say "I told you so".

Face it his heart wasn't in it for another year. I say let him go and try to reach the league. If he makes it then can root for him to do good. If not, welcome him back to campus to finish his degree.

Not sure Davis would have moved up the draft if he returned for another year. Now he will get paid and gain a year towards his second, and most likely, higher contract. Rookies contracts aren't what they used to be.

Originally posted by jrc77:
I saw late (4-7) but what makes you think another year would change that? RBs don't get drafted that high these days. He could just as easily get hurt. The reality is the avg career is 3 years, and 30 is considered ancient for a RB. Might as well go if you think you're ready. Earning window is very small and it's more important to make a roster, stick in the league, and get that second contract in 3 or 4 years than what round you were drafted in.
Exactly. First, RB's are now a dime a dozen in the NFL. The body only takes so much wear and tear, who's to say another year with USC would have been beneficial to him?

Behind Pharoh, Mike was probably the clutchest player we had this season. I cannot for the life of me understand why he gets so much flak on this board. Yeah he takes himself out of the game when he gets winded, but I imagine that has something to do with the stable of quality backs on our roster. Why wouldn't we give the ball to a rested Wilds when Davis is wearing down? I wouldn't be surprised to hear that the coaches encouraged that.

Given the shelf life of running backs, and watching what happened to Lattimore in particular, I can't fault any RB for declaring after their third year out of high school if they're likely to be drafted. Other positions are a different story.

Yep. And I wonder if he consulted his older brother James? You know, since he was a RB and all. Strange how family advice would trump that of a fan on his couch.

"Davis was a hot prospect after his junior year but struggled somewhat in his senior campaign. Those setbacks were reflected in Clemson's performance as a whole, as the Tigers went through a disappointing season"

"Davis earned a second-round grade from the NFL Advisory Committee in 2007 after rushing for more than 3,000 yards and 36 touchdowns over his first three years at Clemson. But the two-time first-team All-ACC pick elected to return for his senior season, again showing a player's stock doesn't always increase by returning to school..."

James Davis 2009 NFL Draft analysis"Davis earned a

Remember James went to Florida to some high dollar training outfit. And the thought was an agent had fronted the money and it would make him ineligible to return to college. ( please correct me if i have any of that wrong. That's when the world was told he had a rich uncle who had paid for the specialized training. Funny I never heard about the rich uncle the whole time Mike was here.

Big.spur,
I agree Davis is either the first or second best player on our team.If he goes passed the 4th round he is absolute steal.IMO.I don't get all the negative post about this kid ? He runs a lot harder than what's left I don't care what anyone says.Perfect fit for the Steelers !

Mike was a good player for us. But I could also tell that he was protecting himself for the next level. Which I dont blame him. He took lots of punishment his sophomore year.

If anything, MD should have gotten the ball more, especially late in the games we were up double digits. Against Missouri, I would have rather watched us go 3 and out after halftime with three runs than put the ball in the air anymore. We should have fed our #1 back the ball late the game when we needed to eat up clock and we didn't. Mike took many questions on the topic and said repeatedly that he's not going to tell the coaches what to do, that's not his job. MD was a great back and got shortchanged by late game strategy this season. Top notch talent. Top notch guy. Wish we would have showcased him more this year.

If anything, MD should have gotten the ball more, especially late in the games we were up double digits. Against Missouri, I would have rather watched us go 3 and out after halftime with three runs than put the ball in the air anymore. We should have fed our #1 back the ball late the game when we needed to eat up clock and we didn't. Mike took many questions on the topic and said repeatedly that he's not going to tell the coaches what to do, that's not his job. MD was a great back and got shortchanged by late game strategy this season. Top notch talent. Top notch guy. Wish we would have showcased him more this year.

I suppose Davis can find work being a back in the league. Probably a backup. His stats are somewhat a reflection of how Spurrier ran the offense this year. And somewhat a reflection of the many times that #1 offensive line in the country couldn't get him past the line of scrimmage. But the NFL guys take that into account as they watch film. But I think the biggest hurdle he may have to clear with NFL GMs is how he was constantly taking himself out of games. About two carries and he was tapping that helmet and running to the sidelines. And then you have the seemingly endless nagging injuries. Both of these points showed a lack of durability, and maybe a guy that is a bit injury prone. I think that has caused his stock to drop more than anything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT