ADVERTISEMENT

I saw Ray in a parking garage in Charlotte

nursegirl25

Aug 29, 2005
That sounds like a bad attempt at a country ballad but here is the story.

Back on April 3rd I was walking to the car with family after leaving BB&T ballpark after UNC blew it open on the yardcocks in the 7th.....As we ducked into the side street parking garage I looked up and low and behold I was a few feet from Ray Tanner who was walking alone with keys in hand...(Kinda surprised he was alone as well as parking in a public lot but whatever)...

" I said tough night tonight, we sure miss you Ray"
As he walked beside our family he said something to the effect of "Hey you never know, these boys could come back but I have early meetings in the morning so I have to bail"

I said nice talking to you and he replied (and especially looked at my younger son who is 10 and really never knew Ray until I explained who he was later) " Hey we got a good one in Coach Kingston, don't be surprised if this bunch doesn't start winning some games soon"

We smiled and all proceeded to our cars...

Really never had a reason to tell that because I think the following weekend we lost 2 of 3 to KY but yesterday as we sent UNCW packing my son said "Hey remember "that man" we saw after the UNC game in the parking deck? "
I said yea the AD Coach Tanner?
He said " I guess he was right because he said this team would get better"

cheesy story I guess but cool to my family :)

Back on April 3rd I was walking to the car with family after leaving BB&T ballpark after UNC blew it open on the yardcocks in the 7th.....As we ducked into the side street parking garage I looked up and low and behold I was a few feet from Ray Tanner who was walking alone with keys in hand...(Kinda surprised he was alone as well as parking in a public lot but whatever)...

As he walked beside our family he said something to the effect of "Hey you never know, these boys could come back but I have early meetings in the morning so I have to bail"

I said nice talking to you and he replied (and especially looked at my younger son who is 10 and really never knew Ray until I explained who he was later) " Hey we got a good one in Coach Kingston, don't be surprised if this bunch doesn't start winning some games soon"

Really never had a reason to tell that because I think the following weekend we lost 2 of 3 to KY but yesterday as we sent UNCW packing my son said "Hey remember "that man" we saw after the UNC game in the parking deck? "

I also bumped into him with my boys. I wasn't going to bother him but he went out of his way to address my boys (because they were sporting garnet and black). He told them, "you look awfully good in those colors". Good man for sure.

I don't make many baseball post but I posted about M.K. and his family earlier this year . Know his family well. Good man and even better family. I didn't know if he would turn things around this year I knew for certain that he was the right man to turn it around.

That's not cheesy - that's awesome!

I've met him before when he was showing recruits around campus.

If I saw him now I'd ask him what he was talking to our betters about. In our close games he would call timeout or whatever in baseball and talk to our hitters. It would always be a time we needed a big play. It also seems like it was always successful when he spoke to them. What was he telling them? Please pass it on to the new coaches sc.

MK appears to be actively managing the team (both proactive and reactive). From my point of view, CH appeared not to manage the team at all. Putting Blair in the lineup is just one example of this.

At the time, it appeared that hiring CH as head-coach-in-waiting was a good move. Not everything works out, and IMO CH was given enough time to try and get the job done. Remember, Gainesville hired O'Sullivan with no previous HC experience.

Reactions: rogue cock
I last saw Tanner at the Carolina vs. Virginia round of 32 women's tournament game. We didn't speak, but he looked to have on very expensive shoes. Also, from my estimation, it looked as though he'd applied a good 1/4 can of hair spray.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT