ADVERTISEMENT

I see it didn't take Tanner long to use the basketball momentum as an opportunity to pass the plate

Rod Dangerfield

Jan 12, 2010
Mike-breaking-bad.gif

Cheer the team.
Well, it has been fun watching Tanner haul ass out of the CLA so he could make it to Greenville in time. So, he is cheering the team.

His job is to be the AD, and it appears that he is doing just that. Also, this promotion was likely the idea of Eric Nichols or some other Associate AD, not Ray Tanner.

I agree - tacky email. Especially when it comes after several emails saying I didn't qualify for tickets through the GCC.

Luckily, I'm taking the StubHub approach to watching our teams from now on.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield
Lots of building projects (athletic and academic) under way at USC and many more on the drawing board. Gotta keep up with the Joneses or get outta the game.

Btw, anybody got 50 million $$$$ to donate for the new Medical School?

We have some fans on this board who love to complain about anything and are very cheap. I got the email (and donated) and thought it was brilliant. USC needs to do more of this kind of strategic business marketing. They offered nice perks with the donation and its appropriate timing. We have a good thing going with both our bball programs so NOW is the time to invest more $$ to keep the momentum. Glad to see Under Armour deal (or was it a media deal) included replacement of the over the court scoreboard at CLA and installment of ribbon boards around the area plus other graphic upgrades. As nice as the arena is it desperately needs these kinds of upgrades. The arena is now 15 years old and due for $$ investment from the athletic department.

Just remember our football program....we started having really nice success under SOS and started coasting. USC athletic department and marketing efforts need to hit the accelerator in marketing and PR for the court Cocks.

GO COCKS!!! BEAT BAYLOR!!!

Reactions: 67gamecock
Get rid of those sorry ass vendors first . The ones in there now are to damn slow . I wish they put Rush's on the CLA
I usually don't have a problem at the concessions in the CLA. It's baseball that makes you miss an inning or two. I end up just going to a cart, where the product is usually better anyway.

I agree with Ward, cup holders should be next. It would be a cheap addition and greatly enhance the seating. WiFi as well.

Reactions: Cock_Donor
What's most impressive is how they were able to wait until after we made the Sweet 16, bring all of that together in a matter of days, including the tours, etc. and specifically target Rod.

A REAL AD would have a team working to plan such things across a calendar year, with windows of release set ahead of time. He may have to shade the tone of the communications depending on the state of the programs at the time of the window.

Actually, that's probably incorrect. I'm just a poor guy with a liberal arts degree, and that's how I would do it. What would I know about how a real AD would handle things... for that matter, what would Ray know about how a real AD would handle things, right?

Reactions: TravelingCock
What's most impressive is how they were able to wait until after we made the Sweet 16, bring all of that together in a matter of days, including the tours, etc. and specifically target Rod.

A REAL AD would have a team working to plan such things across a calendar year, with windows of release set ahead of time. He may have to shade the tone of the communications depending on the state of the programs at the time of the window.

Actually, that's probably incorrect. I'm just a poor guy with a liberal arts degree, and that's how I would do it. What would I know about how a real AD would handle things... for that matter, what would Ray know about how a real AD would handle things, right?
Your point?

Your point?
Snark. That was my intended point. Failed snark is apparently the results.
Rod's comment seemed to imply that Tanner had eureka moment & said to himself & staff something like, "Hey, the basketball team is winning now, people will be in a better mood, quick let's send out an email asking for money before we loose again." Given the number of people who think that Tanner is not AD material, and may assume that he would run the athletic department in just such a manner... no planning ahead, no business plan, just stumbling from one point to the next.

I am no businessman at all, but I would imagine that there would be a plan in place for an early spring campaign to highlight certain areas, encourage giving, and set up some sort of vision for future endeavors. I would imagine it would come with a tentative launch window... "We know that we want to do this between date A & date B."

Thought that I would wrap it up with a nod to the narcissism that most sports fans exhibit (myself included), by implying that this giving campaign was all about Tanner hitting up Rod for money.

This is just the reader's digest version of what ran through my mind reading Rod's original post

Reactions: TravelingCock
Yes, but it had facility tours and other perks included. Do you think Tanner is supposed to sit by and do nothing with a Sweet-16 run?

Tell me what he has done so far other than bring Elmer Fudd in as head baseball coach so Pastides could make him AD. This is Elmer's 5th year, how's that working for you/us? Go Cocks!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT