ADVERTISEMENT

I think this Texas, OU thing is going to happen. The Big 12 held a meeting by video tonight and Texas and OU

UT has already screwed up 2 conferences. If they come to the SEC, they need to be smacked HARD upside the head every time they try to exert undue influence on any conference policy. Trying to take over is what they do and they make whatever conference they are in worse so long as it advantages them in some way. If a person acted like UT I wouldn't want anything to do with them. They may provide an advantageous business arrangement, but they can't be trusted.

Kind of wondering if they make us playing all SEC schedule . That would stop us playing clemmy ?
The idea I saw floated was 9 game conf schedule. 4 pods of 4. Play everyone in your pod each year plus 2 each from the other 3 pods or a similar rotation. That leaves room on your plate for a side servin' of tater if you want it.

Last edited:
UT has already screwed up 2 conferences. If they come to the SEC, they need to be smacked HARD upside the head every time they try to exert undue influence on any conference policy. Trying to take over is what they do and they make whatever conference they are in worse so long as it advantages them in some way. If a person acted like UT I wouldn't want anything to do with them. They may provide an advantageous business arrangement, but they can't be trusted.
I think they are making an underhanded bid for the offer that ya'll wanted....a B1G offer. Flirting with the SEC keeps OU in the dark and forces the B1G's hand. Smart if it works.

I think they are making an underhanded bid for the offer that ya'll wanted....a B1G offer. Flirting with the SEC keeps OU in the dark and forces the B1G's hand. Smart if it works.
I heard something similar, this move was intended to measure interest from other conferences from a financial point of view.

Reactions: rogue cock
When this all kicked off ~2012, there was a lot to like about the B1G. It was the best academic conference and they actively cooperate to get grant money. They were also the first adopter of a conference network idea. There was a lot to like. At the time SEC was still best in sports - especially football and baseball, but was pretty average at academics. The SEC was attractive, but the research money wasn't there.

What we didn't like was their offer. It was a junior membership - the deal Nebraska took. The B1G blind-sided us. They made the offer. We expressed reservations about impact on our budget in the first x (truly undefined) years. We thought we were still talking and out of the blue NU joins the BIG. Fast forward 10 years and that hasn't worked out too well for Nebraska and it's worked out very well for Mizzou. Our AD budget was <$59M in 2011 and last year it was $108M. We didn't like getting ditched after playing hard to get, but we ended up in a much better place. 95%+ of Mizzou fans would tell B1G to piss off if they knocked on the door today.

I could see the snob appear of the B1G academics for Texas. What I can't see is how it benefits UT athletics. They don't even share a border with a single B1G state - talk about bad travel. Is it recruiting? I don't think so. There is more talent to poach in SEC states. Your idea is very interesting, but I'm not going to go rogue on this. I'm taking it at face value.

In the end, I'll accept Texass into the SEC if the rest of the conference wants them. But the Longhorn needs to come in as a steer.

Last edited:
When this all kicked off ~2012, there was a lot to like about the B1G. It was the best academic conference and they actively cooperate to get grant money. They were also the first adopter of a conference network idea. There was a lot to like. At the time SEC was still best in sports - especially football and baseball, but was pretty average at academics. The SEC was attractive, but the research money wasn't there.

What we didn't like was their offer. It was a junior membership - the deal Nebraska took. The B1G blind-sided us. They made the offer. We expressed reservations about impact on our budget in the first x (truly undefined) years. We thought we were still talking and out of the blue NU joins the BIG. Fast forward 10 years and that hasn't worked out too well for Nebraska and it's worked out very well for Mizzou. Our AD budget was <$59M in 2011 and last year it was $108M. We didn't like getting ditched after playing hard to get, but we ended up in a much better place. 95%+ of Mizzou fans would tell B1G to piss off if they knocked on the door today.

I could see the snob appear of the B1G academics for Texas. What I can't see is how it benefits UT athletics. They don't even share a border with a single B1G state - talk about bad travel. Is it U
In the end, I'll accept Texass into the SEC if the rest of the conference wants them. But the Longhorn needs to come in as a steer.
Just giving a different view based on what UT wanted 10 years ago. As far as the B1G on this, I believe there is only one university they would be more interested in than UT and that is UND. UT brings a lot to the table in academics, research monies, as well as athletics....more than most universities. And UT won't recieve the same type of offer that Nebraska received, probably more like the one that Penn State received or that UND would receive. As far as recruiting, the NILs will be a bigger factor in that now, the B1G will be a big winner in that arena....as will the Texas and west coast schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: MUTiger91
Just giving a different view based on what UT wanted 10 years ago. As far as the B1G on this, I believe there is only one university they would be more interested in than UT and that is UND. UT brings a lot to the table....more than most universities. Recruiting will be off NILs now, the B1G will be a big winner in that areana....as will the Texas and west coast schools.
I agree with the ND in regards to the B1G. However, most ND fans/alumni have never forgiven the B1G for not inviting them back in the day. Appears illogical now but apparently it's very real for them.
But with seismic shift in the landscape about to happen who knows ?

I agree with the ND in regards to the B1G. However, most ND fans/alumni have never forgiven the B1G for not inviting them back in the day. Appears illogical now but apparently it's very real for them.
But with seismic shifbat in the landscape about to happen who knows ?
Agree. For some reason the powers that be at UND won't let go of that old grudge. I will say it was a bad situation....even at the time. IIRC IU was behind most of it.

I am not sure that a B1G membership will have as much impact for UND as it does other schools due to their lack of AAU status. To the best of my knowledge, UND is the only university the B1G has made an offer to that didn't have AAU status at the time of the offer. That may affect UND's status as far a receiving it's portion of the research funds.....I am not sure. Also, as far as athletic revenues, I think the ACC may be the only conference that would accept UND as a full member while still allowing UND to have their own TV contract for football....which may eliminate any advantage the B1G has in that area also.

Last edited:
untenableThat would seriously make me stop watching college football forever.
That would be untenable to most South Carolinians. Not sure our state legislature would allow that to happen without making some attempts to force a move to the same conference. The only possible scenario I see if that happens is us moving to the ACC.

Reactions: gr8spur
That would be untenable to most South Carolinians. Not sure our state legislature would allow that to happen without making some attempts to force a move to the same conference. The only possible scenario I see if that happens is us moving to the ACC.
I would say the B12, the ACC will never take us back and Clemson won’t allow it.

Will the SEC realign our permanent west foe to Texas? And Arky to Ok.
You know, since that’s what we do.
I am told it is going to be a 4 quad system. You play each of the teams in your pod every year and two of the teams in each of the other 3 pods. 9 conference games. So they will do away with the permanent foe idea. Texas pod will have Texas, OU, Arkansas and one other team, maybe Missouri. Arkansas is for this having games in Texas helps their recruiting, and locked in a Yes iffy vote. Besides playing Texas in Austin, there will be some games for Arkansas against OU in Jerryworld in Irving, Tx.

Reactions: Judson1
I am told Kansas is in serious talks with the Big Ten, another blow to the remaining Big 12.
I still think UT is playing the SEC....I just don't see UT passing up on all that B1G money without taking another shot at it. Sending in Kansas to do your negotiating in secret would be brilliant.

Kind of wondering if they make us playing all SEC schedule . That would stop us playing clemmy ?
I am told it will be a nine game SEC conference schedule, so you can still play Clemson and Georgia can play Georgia Tech and Florida can play Florida State.

Reactions: pepsicock
I still think UT is playing the SEC....I just don't see UT passing up on all that B1G money without taking another shot at it. Sending in Kansas to do your negotiating in secret would be brilliant.
It is certainly possible. It lights a fire under the Big Ten if they really want Texas. Clock is ticking. I think the money in the SEC will be awesome as well if OU and Texas are added.

I used to think this too but:
1. Pandora’s box has already been opened by not playing Clemsux last season
2. These super conferences will make out of conference “must play” games difficult
3. It’s already happening in the lesser sports. We used to play Clemsux in basketball and baseball more than we do now.

Also I know I’m in the minority but I would like to see us back in the ACC. Much better basketball interest and the football interest is always going to be there. Also there are numerous road games that would be a short drive for us fans. Obviously it’s great being in the SEC but honestly half of our football games are yawn fests even in the SEC (Vandy, Kentucky, Miss State, etc…) ****this may change with the addition of Texas & OU

It is certainly possible. It lights a fire under the Big Ten if they really want Texas. Clock is ticking. I think the money in the SEC will be awesome as well if OU and Texas are added.
Not just talking about the athletic money...UT will improve that for both conferences and they are pretty much even right now. I'm thinking along the lines of all that research grant money that no other conference (outside the Ivy League) can touch....and its a lot more than the athletic money.

Last edited:
Not just talking about the athletic money...UT will improve that for both conferences and they are pretty much even right now. I'm thinking along the lines of all that research grant money that no other conference (outside the Ivy League) can touch....and its a lot more that the athletic money.
Oh yeah it is, so much more. Most people are not aware that is where the real money is for universities.
in 2016 Harvard received over 842 million in research funding grants.

Reactions: rogue cock
Not just talking about the athletic money...UT will improve that for both conferences and they are pretty much even right now. I'm thinking along the lines of all that research grant money that no other conference (outside the Ivy League) can touch....and its a lot more than the athletic money.
Our faculty would love the Big Ten because of the research consortium. The athletic dept must prefer the SEC. That is the reason all of this blew up now when the faculty are on vacation all over the globe. No time for them to marshall opposition. Also the legislature is out of regular session so difficult for TxTech, Baylor etc to marshall opposition there.

Our faculty would love the Big Ten because of the research consortium. The athletic dept must prefer the SEC. That is the reason all of this blew up now when the faculty are on vacation all over the globe. No time for them to marshall opposition. Also the legislature is out of regular session so difficult for TxTech, Baylor etc to marshall opposition there.
Sounds like your athletic department is trying to pull a Bobby Lowder type move.

How is OU getting unhinged from OSU?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT