ADVERTISEMENT

I think this Texas, OU thing is going to happen. The Big 12 held a meeting by video tonight and Texas and OU

Well....they could come after TAMU and ya'll, which I believe is what ya'll originally wanted....and I wouldn't blame you for taking an offer from the Big Ten. I was just trying to give Kansas a pass with their basketball ability and the Big Ten is still as much a basketball conference as it is a football conference.

I didn't fail to mention Mizzou because I had forgotten about them.
I wasn't trying to bring Mizzou into this. The needs of B1G and Mizzou did not align in 2010. Now we're dancing with the hottest girl and the prom and we've seen B1G when she was in a bad mood and without her makeup on.

This isn't a jealousy or schadenfreude discussion (although I do feel a little of the latter). Just speaking objectively, I see what's in it for ku. Is there enough that the B1G gets out of BB to give ku an overall slice of their TV revenue without diminishing the payout of other teams?

One of the reasons the SEC liked Missouri was the addition of a lot of TVs (> 6M residents) from a place not previously in the footprint. kansas is definitely new ground for B1G, but they have <3M residents. That's a big difference to make up with basketball brand equity. Maybe they go the junior member route, but ultimately if you are adding teams that don't earn their keep you are eventually slowing growth for everyone.

In the end, I want to watch kansas fans squirm because of all of their holier than thou BS behavior around Mizzou leaving. But I hope they land in a P4 conference so they can continue to be a football doormat. And props to ku for being 50+ years ahead of the NCAA in compensating players for NIL.

I wasn't trying to bring Mizzou into this. The needs of B1G and Mizzou did not align in 2010. Now we're dancing with the hottest girl and the prom and we've seen B1G when she was in a bad mood and without her makeup on.

This isn't a jealousy or schadenfreude discussion (although I do feel a little of the latter). Just speaking objectively, I see what's in it for ku. Is there enough that the B1G gets out of BB to give ku an overall slice of their TV revenue without diminishing the payout of other teams?

One of the reasons the SEC liked Missouri was the addition of a lot of TVs (> 6M residents) from a place not previously in the footprint. kansas is definitely new ground for B1G, but they have <3M residents. That's a big difference to make up with basketball brand equity. Maybe they go the junior member route, but ultimately if you are adding teams that don't earn their keep you are eventually slowing growth for everyone.
Good points and you could be right. Can't dispute any of that. It is an interesting topic to discuss.

Since Mizzou went through discussion with them before, what do you think Delaney would have done by now?

Good points and you could be right. Can't dispute any of that. It is an interesting topic to discuss.

Since Mizzou went through discussion with them before, what do you think Delaney would have done by now?
I only heard bits and pieces from Mizzou's situation. B1G will definitely want to protect revenue for existing schools, so if ku gets an invite, it is likely to be a junior membership - especially since their alternative is what? The Mountain West? The SEC is very unlikely to want them. They would be an OK fit for the PAC, so I guess they can pretend to have some options.

The thing I can't quantify is what kind of pressure is on the other leagues to expand if/when the SEC does. Are smaller leagues seen as lesser? Do they lose negotiating leverage on their TV contracts? It may lead to teams like kansas getting snapped up to increase the gravity of the conference rather than because they are directly accretive to revenue as-is.

While I dislike ku, there are other schools in the Big XII who are legitimately P5-level programs, but are in a bad position and I hope it works out for them.
Oklahoma State has good athletics, but unimpressive academics in a state without a huge population. They aren't an academic fit for the PAC (based on past standards), they aren't a geographic git for the B1G or ACC and presumably the SEC would already have OU.
Iowa State has good fans and they have done well recently. They are rumored to be part of a ku deal with B1G. I hope they get it, because not a lot else makes geographic sense. But then B1G already has Iowa. Do they want 2 teams in a small state?
kansas state - This is another team I love to hate, but they also have to play little bro to ku.

Maybe I just care about the old Big 8. I really don't care what happens to murdering/gang-raping Baylor. West Virginia seems to be a reasonable P5 program, Maybe they go ACC? I almost forgot about Texas Tech. That's kind of ironic, because when Big XII commissioner Dan Beebe was telling Mizzou we should stay, he called out this "rivalry".

Reactions: rogue cock
7-15 in Oklahoma's favor since 2000. Y'all sure whipped them in the early 1900s though! This is part of why so many people dislike Texas! ACC would be a solid conference for y'all. It's an all cupcake conference!
We whipped them badly in the 1960s, was close in the 70s, split the 80s 5-5, destroyed them in the 1990s. Really most of the OU big win streaks are in the Bud Wilkinson days in the 1950s.

We whipped them badly in the 1960s, was close in the 70s, split the 80s 5-5, destroyed them in the 1990s. Really most of the OU big win streaks are in the Bud Wilkinson days in the 1950s.
You're right. Since 2000 there's only been a five streak and two three streaks by Oklahoma over Texas. I'm not counting the two streaks. The Longhorns' longest streak in the same span of time is two; and they have only won two in a row twice since 2000. Hence, Oklahoma's little sister is feeling pretty accurate!

Our faculty would love the Big Ten because of the research consortium. The athletic dept must prefer the SEC. That is the reason all of this blew up now when the faculty are on vacation all over the globe. No time for them to marshall opposition. Also the legislature is out of regular session so difficult for TxTech, Baylor etc to marshall opposition there.
Sounds like the debate which went on in Tallahassee in 1990, and how F$U ended up joining the ACC.

I'm sure you hope you're wrong. That would, by extension, mean that Georgia/Georgia Tech is done too.
More than likely. These rivalry games aren't as big now as they were in previous generations.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT