ADVERTISEMENT

I was listening to Carolina calls after the game towards the end of the call and show

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
And I heard Chief call in from Hickrey North Carolina.

Evidently whoever was taking calls that evening, both Langston Moore and I'm not sure who the show host was but they pretty much was ugly to Chief and his assessment on the defensive line.

Chief was talking about techniques on getting up from their stance and tackling on the defensive liine. chief said that Adams was doing a poor job of teaching the technique and both Moore and the co-host were defending Adams and telling Chief he was crazy basically...

I don't know who else heard this, but if they heard this. If they can tell me if I was hearing things or misunderstanding the conversation.

I think I remember hearing something similar. You have to remember that all these guys are homers. Even the 107.5 guys as well. Even if they feel a coach isn't getting the job done they'll still defend him until he's no longer at the school. That's pretty much their job. They can be objective to a point but you'll never here Langston Moore or Tommy Suggs flat out ridicule a SC assistant coach over the air. Now behind closed doors is a different story.

Evidently whoever was taking calls that evening, both Langston Moore and I'm not sure who the show host was but they pretty much was ugly to Chief and his assessment on the defensive line.

Chief was talking about techniques on getting up from their stance and tackling on the defensive liine. chief said that Adams was doing a poor job of teaching the technique and both Moore and the co-host were defending Adams and telling Chief he was crazy basically...

I don't know who else heard this, but if they heard this. If they can tell me if I was hearing things or misunderstanding the conversation.

I heard this call also, but didn't think he was ugly to him. I don't know who Chief was (don't remember any defensive linemen from Hickory), but I would take Langston's evaluation of the situation over his.

I heard this call also, but didn't think he was ugly to him. I don't know who Chief was (don't remember any defensive linemen from Hickory), but I would take Langston's evaluation of the situation over his.

Then you'd be wrong. Langston will defend the coaches no matter what until they leave. You don't have to know much about football to see that our dline has gone from arguably the best in the nation to arguably the worst in Deke Adams three seasons. Spurrier even moved Ward (a career DB coach) to help Adams with the D-Line. We have lots of 4 star D-linemen and they are terrible. That means that either EVERYONE evaluated every player incorrectly or the development and technique are wrong. Also, Chief is one of the best D-linemen to ever play here.

Kevin "Chief" Hendrix. As others said, one of the best to play here. He used to be on with Eric and Carey when they had their show on 1400.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
Not sure about Kevin, but Langston Moore was an All-American here and played several years in the NFL. He's highly qualified to talk about Dline play.

While I do agree he's going to slant towards the sunny side, Kevin Hendrix slants the other way. He worked for 1400 AM in Columbia which everyone knows is managed by a Clemson grad. They hire former Carolina players that are willing to trash Carolina, Rick Sanford, Corey "Alshon got arrested" Miller, etc.

While I'm not satisfied with the results of our defense, I'll take Langston's opinion over Kevin's any day. Langston does get his paycheck from Carolina, but he has always been willing to go in-depth when he feels the need to criticize and fully explain what he feels are our weaknesses. He's just able to do it in a mature fashion, not the 1400 AM/FGF trash the Gamecocks at all costs method.

Maybe ugly wasn't the word I was looking for, but they weren't respectful to Chief and his knowledge of the game.

Last edited:

I was in school at Carolina when he was there in the late '80s, and one of my high school teammates played OL on the team. Let me tell you something about Chief. (If you already know this, then my apology.)

1. The craziest most die hard Gamecock you will EVER find on the planet! My teammate told me that Chief got the nickname because he would sometimes snatch the helmet off a RB after he made a real hard hit in practice -- i.e. The Chief would "scalp 'em".

2. The dude hated clemPson so much that they said he refused to drink orange Gatorade.

3. I read a newspaper interview where Chief himself said that he hated clemPson so much that he would run over the orange cones that the DOT put out during highway work.

No disrespect to Langston Moore, I'm very glad he played for our Gamecocks. But, I'll take Chief everyday of the week.

I'm a huge USC homer too but I'm also a realist and will call a spade a spade when necessary.

I heard the call.
They were not even close to being "UGLY" to Chief.
They simply didn't agree with his assessment that the DL has terrible coaching and it seemed like they had no clue who he was, which I am sure made it sound "cold" to those of us who know who he is.
They simply did not agree with his opinion.
There was nothing ugly about it

I don't listen to 107 pepsicock, but there is zero chance he will ever be on that station (thank goodness) the way he trashed them during his time on 560.
I wish Heffner would put him on 620 but that might cut into DrDumbass' cackling idiotic statement time.

MrCockStrong, I heard the call and Langston did not disrespect Chief at all. Just want to make that clear.
He wasn't "ugly" or disrespectful but they did not seem to realize who he was.
Clearly they did not agree with him that Deke sucks, which was the premise of Chiefs call. We all know the post game show guys are not going to agree that any coach sucks at anything so take that for what it's worth.
There was no disrespect at all

I heard the call.
They were not even close to being "UGLY" to Chief.
They simply didn't agree with his assessment that the DL has terrible coaching and it seemed like they had no clue who he was, which I am sure made it sound "cold" to those of us who know who he is.
They simply did not agree with his opinion.
There was nothing ugly about it

I think they were disrespectful to Chief and his knowledge of the game.

At least Langston should have known of Chief, he has been around even after his playing days...

We need more Chief Hendrix in that locker room.

He could certainly get them fired up and wouldn't be afraid to get in their faces. I'm not sure that we have someone on this team that has that kind of fire and leadership. I know there have been rumblings of it happening in the locker room Saturday (on Defense at least), but I'm just not convinced yet.

Chief was a hell of a player back in the day and is a huge Gamecock fan. Some people on this board mistake honesty for lack of loyalty. By the way, serious question, has anyone ever learned ANYTHING from Tommy Suggs.
Seriously, other than stating the obvious and being a fan, does he ever offer anything resembling analysis?

A little history on Chief! In 1986 at Clemson his thumb was split in half with both bones coming thru his Skin. They wrapped and he kept playing. In 1988 he was playing both ways on offense and Defense. They would put him in the game in the Red Zone as TE. You can see him playing against NC the 1st game. The 2nd game of the 88' season he dislocated is elbow, that was bent over his head. They said his season was Done. He signed a waiver to play with a Cast from his wrist up to his Armpit. His 1st game back against VT HE was voted MVP. So you talk about somebody who gave it his all, was the Chief. He basically played with one Arm during 1988. So for you people who don't really know him. He is a Gamecock for life. He was bad Ass on and off the field. All for now

A little history on Chief! In 1986 at Clemson his thumb was split in half with both bones coming thru his Skin. They wrapped and he kept playing. In 1988 he was playing both ways on offense and Defense. They would put him in the game in the Red Zone as TE. You can see him playing against NC the 1st game. The 2nd game of the 88' season he dislocated is elbow, that was bent over his head. They said his season was Done. He signed a waiver to play with a Cast from his wrist up to his Armpit. His 1st game back against VT HE was voted MVP. So you talk about somebody who gave it his all, was the Chief. He basically played with one Arm during 1988. So for you people who don't really know him. He is a Gamecock for life. He was bad Ass on and off the field. All for now

Today, players would sit on the sideline after being hurt like that...

Reactions: GAMECOCK COWBOY
Also he was voted as the best Defensive End in the 2nd 50 years of Carolina Football History. All Decade player for his era. Voted the best player to wear #98. Hall of Captains. BOB Fulton said he was the meanest and dirtiest player to wear the Colors Garnet and Black.

Chief is in my top 2 for favorite Gamecock Football players.

I was in school at Carolina when he was there in the late '80s, and one of my high school teammates played OL on the team. Let me tell you something about Chief. (If you already know this, then my apology.)

1. The craziest most die hard Gamecock you will EVER find on the planet! My teammate told me that Chief got the nickname because he would sometimes snatch the helmet off a RB after he made a real hard hit in practice -- i.e. The Chief would "scalp 'em".

2. The dude hated clemPson so much that they said he refused to drink orange Gatorade.

3. I read a newspaper interview where Chief himself said that he hated clemPson so much that he would run over the orange cones that the DOT put out during highway work.

No disrespect to Langston Moore, I'm very glad he played for our Gamecocks. But, I'll take Chief everyday of the week.
He actually got the nickname Chief from his days in HS. He was recruited to USC as a RB. Chief Running Bull is how it started due to his Native American bloodline. However, he was so mean, defensive staff had to have him. He was also on this 1st 10-2 USC team. After USC, he went to the Redskins. He also coach Dutch Fork DL to a state championship. He knows what he is talking about. Speaking with Kelsey Quarles, he told me B. Lawing was his DL coach, not Adams. Production has plummeted since he arrived. Clowney is a prime example.

Last edited:
He actually got the nickname Chief from his days in HS. He was recruited to USC as a RB. Chief Running Bull is how it started due to his Native American bloodline. However, he was so mean, defensive staff had to have him. He was also on this 1st 10-2 USC team. After USC, he went to the Redskins. He also coach Dutch Fork DL to a state championship. He knows what he is talking about. Speaking with Kelsey Quarles, he told me B. Lawing was his DL coach, not Adams. Production has plummeted since he arrived. Clowney is a prime example.
He played from 85-88 and did not play on the 84 team. Also didn't play for the Redskins. He was drafted by them in the 7th round but did not make the team.

He was on the team in 84, he was on the Scout team. The Offensive line hated him, because he never took a practice off! He had his 3rd shoulder surgery while at the Redskins. The following year he played in Franfurt Germany for 2 years on the Frankfurt Galaxy. He never could pass a physical with a NFL Team, while playing in the World League. He said his body was wore out, had another shoulder surgery after his 2nd year in WFl. All this really means nothing, until you meet the Chief and know who he is and his trials and tribulations he conquered.. Do u know him 75 Carolina Fan

What do you mean by this? "Speaking with Kelsey (sic) Quarles, he told me B. Lawing was his DL coach, not Adams."

Adams was DL coach KQ's last year, BL was his coach b4 that. Do you mean Quarles is not claiming Adams?

I believe Deke Adams is the new John Hunt. Just like our offense didn't improve until he left, I'm worried our defense will not improve until Adams leaves. Should have risked losing some recruits and let Hoke start fresh.

I believe Deke Adams is the new John Hunt. Just like our offense didn't improve until he left, I'm worried our defense will not improve until Adams leaves. Should have risked losing some recruits and let Hoke start fresh.
A fact. Langston rattled off a bunch of nflese hoping most listeners had no idea what he was talking about. It takes more than Jedi mind tricks to convince us that deke can coach. I will say the d line is a little better this year but nothing like our Lawing units.

Mizzous s development of guys is what we had before and what we expect. We had a tradition of maximum effort until we hired a coach from the ACC to run the unit.

Surprise our dline is essentially the same as the ones Clem has padded stats against for more than a decade.

This is what Chief was getting at imo and of course, "There's nothing to see here" according to the sunshine pumper post game report.

I think you owe John Hunt an apology for that comparison....I don't know if even he was that totally incompetent.

I think you owe John Hunt an apology for that comparison....I don't know if even he was that totally incompetent.

Fair enough, my apologies to Hunt! It was pretty clear to see the drop off on our Dline even in 2013 with Clowney and Quarles. Does Spurrier still not see this? I can understand Spurrier keeping Ward after last year, but Adams should have been shown the door last January.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT