ADVERTISEMENT

I Was Wrong (MBB)

Cocky4SC

Dec 2, 2014
Spartanburg SC
I am happy to admit I was wrong about our MBB team.

What this team has accomplished in SEC play is amazing. Going from looking like a bad inter-mural basketball team in OOC to being in the upper part of the SEC, Frank has turned this team around to everyone's surprise. The freshman continue to develop and adding in Minaya, Moss, etc. next year along with Hannibal should help. I Would love to see us somehow pull of the miracle of making it into the NCAAT, but I believe we may have put ourselves in a hole that we couldn't dig ourselves out of with a 5-8 OOC record.

Pending us not making the tournament this year, I truly believe that Frank HAS to make the field next year... otherwise you are looking at a coach who is being paid $2 million a year to make the tournament 1 out of 8 years.

But for now... keep the wins coming fellas... 19-12 might get us in the dance.

It all starts with Miss State on Saturday. I believe 12 or 13 wins in the SEC regular season and a win in the tourney gets us to The Dance. Carolina needs three more conference wins to get to 12 with five more games to go. I believe there is every reason to expect wins in the last two home games. We need to take one on the road. Two would be better.

It lines up favorably - after Miss State, the next four teams are in the bottom six of the conference standings with anywhere from 6 wins (Bama) to 1 win (UGA).

My predictions:

2/23 - @ Miss State - W (15-12, 10-4)*
2/26 - vs Alabama - W (16-12, 11-4)
3/2 - @ Mizzou - W (17-12, 12-4)
3/5 - @ TAM - L (17-13, 12-5)*
3/9 - vs UGA - W (18-13, 13-5)

* I think Carolina loses on the road to either State or A&M. I don't see them running the table, although it is certainly possible.

You may not think much of Frank Martin as a recruiter, but as a coach he's one of the best men's coaches we've ever had on the basketball court, with only him and Coach McGuire even in the conversation. The man can flat coach a basketball team.

You may not think much of Frank Martin as a recruiter, but as a coach he's one of the best men's coaches we've ever had on the basketball court, with only him and Coach McGuire even in the conversation. The man can flat coach a basketball team.

He's a fine coach in my estimation. The only thing he hasn't done is field teams that consistently make the NCAA.
Course, he's not alone in that in USC annals.

The reality of college basketball is that most teams have to build a team over 3-4 years to compete with the blue bloods. The one and dones cycle thru those programs year in and year out. Frank actually has to develop players. This is much harder than plugging in lottery pick talent every year. Its a completely different ball game at our level and it takes time but another run can happen in a few years. Definitely need a dominate big man to come help. Not another international tall dude but an actual center that is long and athletic. This would put them over the top with these freshmen developing together.

Reactions: Cocky4SC

I agree with what you said. Coach wise he has done more with probably truly less overall team talent. Unfortunately the biggest gripe with him is the lack of getting in the dance so far. I believe he should be given through next year to make it back to the dance. If not, you've got to start looking elsewhere, IMHO

Keep in mind that five our losses this year have been against teams who were at one point ranked #1 and Stonybrook and Wofford could very likely be NCAA T teams, which we lost to while dealing with a rolladeck roster due to injuries. If we can finish 4th in the SEC, I don't see how we get left out of the tourney.

Keep in mind that five our losses this year have been against teams who were at one point ranked #1 and Stonybrook and Wofford could very likely be NCAA T teams, which we lost to while dealing with a rolladeck roster due to injuries. If we can finish 4th in the SEC, I don't see how we get left out of the tourney.
The Wyoming and Ok.St were REALLY bad losses.

Anyone saying Frank needs to be replaced next year should we get porked by the TX committee is nutts. He won 25 games was it the year before the final four run..? 12 in conference I think..? He also had to run off some quality players that would still be playing at most schools. Get a grip.

Anyone saying Frank needs to be replaced next year should we get porked by the TX committee is nutts. He won 25 games was it the year before the final four run..? 12 in conference I think..? He also had to run off some quality players that would still be playing at most schools. Get a grip.

I said after next year if he doesn't make it to the tourney. No other sport would we be ok missing out on the post season seven of eight years (saying theoretically that we missed it this year and next). We SHOULD be a tourney team next year, and possibly this year if we can either run the tables the rest of the way in the conference or lose at most one more

Our program was in the pit of despair when Martin took it over from Horn. I think you had to give him 4 years just to get this program back to any sense of respectability. So, if he doesn’t make it this year....it seems more like 1 out of 4 to me. Considering we got hosed by the committee one of those years, it’s really not as bad some would think.

When it’s all said and done, I think Martin is a great coach. He just needs to recruit more classes like this freshman class. A couple more classes like this one and we will be rolling.

Reactions: Baltcock96
Our program was in the pit of despair when Martin took it over from Horn. I think you had to give him 4 years just to get this program back to any sense of respectability. So, if he doesn’t make it this year....it seems more like 1 out of 4 to me. Considering we got hosed by the committee one of those years, it’s really not as bad some would think.

When it’s all said and done, I think Martin is a great coach. He just needs to recruit more classes like this freshman class. A couple more classes like this one and we will be rolling.
Yep the 2015-2016 season we finished in a 3 way tie for 3rd in the SEC and 25-9 with a loss in the 2nd round of the NIT.

We had turned the corner but then layed an egg against Ok State. That loss could cost us the tourney. They are a bad team.

Reactions: Carolina4
We had turned the corner but then layed an egg against Ok State. That loss could cost us the tourney. They are a bad team.

The team didn’t play well, but that was one of the most poorly officiated games i’ve ever seen. 29 to 9 free throw discrepancy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT