ADVERTISEMENT

I wonder . . . with both men's and women's golf having such . . .

67gamecock

Oct 3, 2000
Lexington, SC
great seasons, and the university's purchase of 300 acres of river bottom land just west and south of Gamecock Park . . . could/would the university be interested in the not-so-distant future in building a . . . new golf course on that property? Most SEC/Big 10/ACC schools already have on campus courses.

I think I read recently that the area referred to above has been cleared for development of some kind. Btw, Heathwood Hall Episcopal School's campus is located in the general (flood plain) area. Certainly a golf course is not out of the question - facility wise.

Anybody know how many acres an 18 hole golf course normally covers?

great seasons, and the university's purchase of 300 acres of river bottom land just west and south of Gamecock Park . . . could/would the university be interested in the not-so-distant future in building a . . . new golf course on that property? Most SEC/Big 10/ACC schools already have on campus courses.

I think I read recently that the area referred to above has been cleared for development of some kind. Btw, Heathwood Hall Episcopal School's campus is located in the general (flood plain) area. Certainly a golf course is not out of the question - facility wise.

Anybody know how many acres an 18 hole golf course normally covers?
It depends on the land being used and what percentage of that land is not cost prohibitive to build a golf hole on. Soil type and wetland areas could make the cost unreasonable. Typically an average golf course uses 150-175 acres for a championship course. That includes the clubhouse and practice area. If everything were perfect on the site then average cost to build a course would be about $2.25M on the low end.

It depends on the land being used and what percentage of that land is not cost prohibitive to build a golf hole on. Soil type and wetland areas could make the cost unreasonable. Typically an average golf course uses 150-175 acres for a championship course. That includes the clubhouse and practice area. If everything were perfect on the site then average cost to build a course would be about $2.25M on the low end.

Thanks for the info. I'm not a golf expert, but I think a golf course at that location would be a great 'investment' for the university and the AD. The nearest golf course to the property in question is Forest Acres, but it's somewhat exclusive - to say the least. There's Hidden Valley at Gaston and, of course, Spring Valley and Wildewood in the N/E and Woodcreek in Lugoff - the last three are supported by big (rich) neighborhoods. A course tied to USC, just off I-77 and near W-B begs for its construction.

2.25 million is not a large sum for USC to invest imo. They got a deal on the land (3.25 million) and there are thousands of 'Cocks who would join an alumni/fan based golf club within walking distance to Williams-Brice Stadium. JMO.

ADVERTISEMENT