ADVERTISEMENT

I would have thought OU would have their FB Coach by now. Granted it's only been about four days

Honestly, Oklahoma is probably reeling, I don't think they saw the Riley thing coming. I'll bet they are fast-tracking as much as possible, but interviews take time along with contract negotiations. I'd expect that we'll see something within a few days. They're going to have to to salvage a recruiting class and limit the transfers.

Honestly, Oklahoma is probably reeling, I don't think they saw the Riley thing coming. I'll bet they are fast-tracking as much as possible, but interviews take time along with contract negotiations. I'd expect that we'll see something within a few days. They're going to have to to salvage a recruiting class and limit the transfers.
^Yep. They didn't see it coming.

Notre Dame stayed in-house, so we'll see how that works for them.

Reactions: chief2791
no favorite emerging = they have been turned down!

I think every AD has a short secret emergency list for every major sport.

Heath Cline said yesterday that his sources were telling him they expected a decision in the next 24 hours (from yesterday afternoon). If that's correct, look for an announcement anytime today.

With early signing period coming, 4 days is like 4 months. That's why LSU told Kelly to take it now or ba‐bye.
Oddly, this is starting to send me to the other end of the spectrum and make me start wondering if Beamer might actually be a real candidate.

Everyone keeps saying he's wildly popular with the players and administration as well as the fanbase. And you have to think he knows a lot of the OU commits and recruits from his time there.

That said, I still think its a llooooonng shot that he gets named the new OU coach.

Reactions: vidaliagamecock
Heath Cline said yesterday that his sources were telling him they expected a decision in the next 24 hours (from yesterday afternoon). If that's correct, look for an announcement anytime today.
They are certain Muschamp will win the third time around so he will get the job. Bobo is available to come with him as well. It’s all set.

Oddly, this is starting to send me to the other end of the spectrum and make me start wondering if Beamer might actually be a real candidate.

Everyone keeps saying he's wildly popular with the players and administration as well as the fanbase. And you have to think he knows a lot of the OU commits and recruits from his time there.

That said, I still think its a llooooonng shot that he gets named the new OU coach.
Well, he'd also have to choose to leave the school that he supposedly wasn't shy about wanting in coaching circles for years (us)

According to the reports I have read, more legit reports, (Not 24-7 hyping Beamer) they have not hired any one yet given the interest in Fickell and the timing of his conference game.

Matt Campbell Iowa State interviewing this week

OU will interview Cincy's Fickell after the AAC tittle game Saturday.

The other 2 candiates on the list but down some are Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables and Georgia defensive coordinator Dan Lanning.

Them not hiring anyone yet is understandable if Fickell is high up their list.

Just wondering.....why wouldn't Lincoln Riley stay around and coach the Sooners in their bowl game? You know...you can recruit from anywhere these days I was told. You just contact them via phone/computer just like S. Beamer did. Maybe his new employer had a problem with it?

Just wondering.....why wouldn't Lincoln Riley stay around and coach the Sooners in their bowl game? You know...you can recruit from anywhere these days I was told. You just contact them via phone/computer just like S. Beamer did. Maybe his new employer had a problem with it?
In home visits are now allowed. They weren’t when Beamer was first hired. You know this but just want to stir shit up.

Reactions: TAV31
IF that were to happen, then a lot of our fans are going to have to come to terms with some facts about the coaching business.
I mean obviously your dream job might not be what you had hoped and with the promise of more money and the loyalty we know they have in OK would certainly give me something to think about, so I'm not saying it won't happen but while people act like it's PR I remember hearing rumors that those close to him knew this was his dream job around the time he left for VT, of course like most of this stuff, no one would put it out as anything more concrete than rumors. When I go on r/CFB and see every Oklahoma fan who comment on it say that Beamer would be successful here and a bunch of Carolina fans lamenting it, I know that's far from representative of either fanbase, but I can't help but imagine if wasn't to go where I'd be appreciated. Now of course the Sooners who felt that way likely go to the finding where you meet the coaches or heard good things through the grape vine, or read how the players feel about him or how Riley called him to ask who he thought would start at QB when he's not the QBC or OC. I remember people on cockytalk were saying he'd make a great head coach when he was here first. If he was named at OK a whole lot of fans that aren't familiar with the details that get him love in the clubhouse would probably react just as bad and impatiently as some of ours have minus whatever the Muschamp scar tissue had done to our psyches. If I were him though it would be tough to wonder when looking at general fanbase mood at both schools heading into the season. Add on top of that OK's history and funding and one has to ask what dreams are for.

Reactions: WingchunCock
I mean obviously your dream job might not be what you had hoped and with the promise of more money and the loyalty we know they have in OK would certainly give me something to think about, so I'm not saying it won't happen but while people act like it's PR I remember hearing rumors that those close to him knew this was his dream job around the time he left for VT, of course like most of this stuff, no one would put it out as anything more concrete than rumors. When I go on r/CFB and see every Oklahoma fan who comment on it say that Beamer would be successful here and a bunch of Carolina fans lamenting it, I know that's far from representative of either fanbase, but I can't help but imagine if wasn't to go where I'd be appreciated. Now of course the Sooners who felt that way likely go to the finding where you meet the coaches or heard good things through the grape vine, or read how the players feel about him or how Riley called him to ask who he thought would start at QB when he's not the QBC or OC. I remember people on cockytalk were saying he'd make a great head coach when he was here first. If he was named at OK a whole lot of fans that aren't familiar with the details that get him love in the clubhouse would probably react just as bad and impatiently as some of ours have minus whatever the Muschamp scar tissue had done to our psyches. If I were him though it would be tough to wonder when looking at general fanbase mood at both schools heading into the season. Add on top of that OK's history and funding and one has to ask what dreams are for.
I'm referring to the multitude of our fans that don't seem to get that this is a business. Not a country club. The "he really wants to be here" crowd that acted like that's all the criteria one needed to be given the job. (That's hyperbole, so don't bother going down that rabbit hole.)

The fact is, all of this could've been put to rest DAYS ago with a single tweet from Beamer. But he and Sexton are more than willing to make those same fans sweat it out in hopes of swindling Ray again for more money -- for the job he "really" wants.

We are totally screwed if he leaves. There is no one out there to hire right now which is why ND is giving the water boy a try. I’m fully behind Beamer win or lose.

I'm referring to the multitude of our fans that don't seem to get that this is a business. Not a country club. The "he really wants to be here" crowd that acted like that's all the criteria one needed to be given the job. (That's hyperbole, so don't bother going down that rabbit hole.)

The fact is, all of this could've been put to rest DAYS ago with a single tweet from Beamer. But he and Sexton are more than willing to make those same fans sweat it out in hopes of swindling Ray again for more money -- for the job he "really" wants.
Maybe he wants leverage to buyout Satterfield’s contract and get a new OC. Why is it some people always look at the glass as half full?

We are totally screwed if he leaves. There is no one out there to hire right now which is why ND is giving the water boy a try. I’m fully behind Beamer win or lose.
I don't want Beamer to leave but if he did I wouldn't say there's no one to hire. I still believe Chadwell could be successful here. He's done well everywhere else he's coached.

It was my understanding that any payouts had to go through BOT, this would be good leverage to accomplish that.
It's the AD's job to take contracts to the BOT for their approval. Sometimes that requires convincing them why the contracts are needed. Good ADs do this quite regularly.

Even so, NO ONE should need convincing that we need a new OC. If Ray and/or the BOT are actually hemming and hawing over this, we might as well close up shop and not bother with it anymore.

Yeah, who knows why somebody considers one place their "dream job." Could be there are a bunch of factors that have more to do with living "here" rather than "there." Hard to say. After growing up in his dad's household and seeing his career up close, it would not surprise me if Shane sees a dream coaching job as a place where he can be "The Man" for 20-30 years, instead of floating around from one one fanbase to another. If he does think that way, it would have to occur to him that a coach who averages 8 wins a year at Oklahoma against a soon-to-be SEC schedule is probably going to be fired. A coach who averages 8 wins at Carolina likely becomes a legend.

Reactions: rogue cock
The word here in Texas is that they are waiting on Kliff Kingsberry. The longer they wait, the more I am believing it’s true.

^Yep. They didn't see it coming.

Notre Dame stayed in-house, so we'll see how that works for them.
Of course they saw it coming. They didn’t see Riley going to USC, but the LSU rumors were out there for weeks. They absolutely knew it was possible Riley might take a job. It makes no difference to them that it’s USC instead of LSU. All this means is that they are waiting to talk to someone that’s playing this weekend. There are a lot of good coaches who haven’t finished the season yet. You’ll see something soon after that.

Everyone saw the Riley thing coming. Some of their prime targets, e.g. Venables, Rhule, etc have said "no".

Bingo.

In home visits are now allowed. They weren’t when Beamer was first hired. You know this but just want to stir shit up.
Pointing out the obvious isn't stirring sh#t up. When you are hired for a job (especially in the SEC), you go immediately because you are already behind in your work. You also commit to that team, because every recruit, portal transfer or potential hire will help. Riley, like most coaches, did it the right way.

Pointing out the obvious isn't stirring sh#t up. When you are hired for a job (especially in the SEC), you go immediately because you are already behind in your work. You also commit to that team, because every recruit, portal transfer or potential hire will help. Riley, like most coaches, did it the right way.
What could Beamer have done in Columbia that he couldn’t do in Oklahoma? It was the dead period for recruiting. In person contact wasn’t allowed yet. You’re just looking for one more thing to complain about.

What could Beamer have done in Columbia that he couldn’t do in Oklahoma? It was the dead period for recruiting. In person contact wasn’t allowed yet. You’re just looking for one more thing to complain about.
Ha, you’ll never get an answer on this. Obviously, given how things were at that time, his geographical location was irrelevant. He could have been in Mumbai and gotten as much accomplished as could be accomplished in Columbia.

Ha, you’ll never get an answer on this. Obviously, given how things were at that time, his geographical location was irrelevant. He could have been in Mumbai and gotten as much accomplished as could be accomplished in Columbia.
It’s the impression he gave. He cared more about a meaningless big 12 championship game than his “dream” job.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
It’s the impression he gave. He cared more about a meaningless big 12 championship game than his “dream” job.
So, you’re right, it’s purely perception and nothing functional. The impression it gave me is that he cared more about honoring his commitments than he did mere perception.

So, you’re right, it’s purely perception and nothing functional. The impression it gave me is that he cared more about honoring his commitments than he did mere perception.
And here we are with him “honoring his commitment” to Satterfield instead of hiring a real OC.

Maybe his honoring of commitments isn’t a good thing?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT