ADVERTISEMENT

If Beamer is the choice who then is he going to get as coordinators?

Nobody knows... Strong for DC has been tossed about but that is all I have heard and there is no way of knowing if that has any truth to it.

I hope whoever the next coach is they give Connor Shaw a role and I assume Beamer would be open to that. Dez deserves a look at staying around as RB coach too IMO.

Nobody knows... Strong for DC has been tossed about but that is all I have heard and there is no way of knowing if that has any truth to it.

I hope whoever the next coach is they give Connor Shaw a role and I assume Beamer would be open to that. Dez deserves a look at staying around as RB coach too IMO.
You wanna talk about the fan base turning sour against a new hire? Doing this would be a huge start. Strong is a fantastic guy, but there were too many times his defenses couldn't stop drives from becoming long and methodical. Then there's the "3rd and long Charlie Strong" that will likely never go away. Like I said, though, I met him on several occasions, and he was a fantastic person.

You wanna talk about the fan base turning sour against a new hire? Doing this would be a huge start. Strong is a fantastic guy, but there were too many times his defenses couldn't stop drives from becoming long and methodical. Then there's the "3rd and long Charlie Strong" that will likely never go away. Like I said, though, I met him on several occasions, and he was a fantastic person.
Weird but he has a ton of coordinator experience and head coach experience, according to a lot of posters here that would make him a shoo in

By all account she is a good guy, he was actually a good DC here and a VERY good one at Florida, and went on to big success at Loiusville. He failed in two stops after that- so I’d say he is both a good DC candidate and a good example of a coach who had tons of success as both a great coordinator AND big time success as a HC before getting a step up to Texas- sounds like many here would be thrilled with that type of hire and yet it still did not work?? Perhaps Strong would be a good addition to Beamer’s staff though- as a voice with lots of HC experience. He can certainly advise on things that did and did not work well for him.

I think Beamer's experience as a coordinator will help him make excellent coordinator hires.
Is it a coordinator’s job to evaluate and hire coordinators? I’d say his experience as AHC at multiple programs would give him a lot more experience in that regard than any DC/OC would have as he certainly had a front row seat on multiple Asst coach hires of all levels working under his Dad..

Doubtful on the Strong for DC thing. I believe that he left Columbia because of how him and his white wife were treated when he was here last time.

Reactions: redrogers
Is it a coordinator’s job to evaluate and hire coordinators? I’d say his experience as AHC at multiple programs would give him a lot more experience in that regard than any DC/OC would have as he certainly had a front row seat on multiple Asst coach hires of all levels working under his Dad..
It gives a different perspective on what it takes to be one.

AHC is just a title to give multi-year deals to keep career position coaches from leaving for other position coach jobs.

Having a front seat with daddy doesn't cut it. Unless you think Spurrier Jr should be our next HC.

he is going to need a very very good staff
I’d call EllisJohnson to be DC. Never understood why some were sour on him. Coached some of the best defenses we had and coached with Beamer. And already in Cola and would accept.
Call Brad Lawing for D line

I’d retain Bobo and Connor.

Three of those four coached or played with Beamer. Start of a good staff.

I’d call EllisJohnson to be DC. Never understood why some were sour on him. Coached some of the best defenses we had and coached with Beamer. And already in Cola and would accept.

We have never had a DC that our fan base hasn’t soured on

Right, Assistant Head Coach at Oklahoma.
From SMU:

Garrett Riley joined the Mustang football staff as Offensive Coordinator and quarterbacks coach in January of 2020.

Riley arrived on the Hilltop after spending the 2019 season as running backs coach at Appalachian State, and was set to be promoted to Offensive Coordinator. The Mountaineers went 13-1 last season, including a Sun Belt Championship and a win in the R+L Carriers New Orleans Bowl over UAB. Riley mentored Darrynton Evans to Sun Belt Offensive Player of the Year honors after posting 1,740 all-purpose yards, including 1,250 rushing yards and 20 touchdowns. Evans was a third round selection by the Tennessee Titans in the 2020 NFL Draft.

Prior to his time at Appalachian State, Riley spent three seasons at Kansas (2016-18) in various capacities.

From 2013-15, Riley worked with the offense at ECU, spending the 2015 season as the outside receivers coach and 2013 and 2014 as an offensive assistant. While with the Pirates, Riley coached standout receiver Zay Jones, who caught 98 passes for 1,009 yards in 2015 and went on to set the NCAA FBS career record with 399 receptions. Jones was selected 37th overall by the Buffalo Bills in the 2017 NFL Draft.

Riley got his start in the collegiate ranks in 2012 as running backs coach at Augustana College (Ill.), and prior to that was a quarterbacks and passing game assistant at Roosevelt High School in Lubbock, Texas, in 2011.

A 2012 graduate of Texas Tech with a degree in general business, Riley played for the Red Raiders in 2008 and 2009 before transferring to Stephen F. Austin for the 2010 season. Riley played in 11 games, helping the Lumberjacks to a 9-3 record and Southland Conference Championship.

Why don't we bring Muschamp back as DC? That makes about as much sense. Look, if we are going this route then the old guard has to fall or the school simply cannot sell this approach to anyone.

If we are going this route then Shane is going to have to find the best young guys money can buy and not old has-beens.

I was with you until you said to retain Bobo. Then I kind of soured. Btw, if fans turned on Charlie Strong because he had a white wife (see above posts), would fans turn on Lawing because he had uh...somebody else’s wife?

Reactions: redrogers
Sorry But Mushbrain cannot nor does he know how to coach or coach dem up.
FACT
Sorry, but that's just not true. Before he became a head coach, Muschamp was considered one of the best coaches in the country. Let's not let the fact that he was bad as a HC create a negative bias toward him. Having said that, there's obviously no way he would ever be the DC here.

Who soured on him? He left for the head coach position at southern miss. All the fans I’ve heard talk about him thought he was great
Talking mostly about posters on here who said, after he left, that his defenses were not aggressive enough, too conservative, and we needed to be blitzing more. May have just been a minority of loud posters. Either way, I though Ellis was a very good DC.

Let me guess, you thought Muschamp was a good hire, right?

Talking mostly about posters on here who said, after he left, that his defenses were not aggressive enough, too conservative, and we needed to be blitzing more. May have just been a minority of loud posters. Either way, I though Ellis was a very good DC.
You’re remembering correctly, some were thrilled we got rid of him and alluded that he was pushed out to the hc job

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT