ADVERTISEMENT

If Beamer is the choice who then is he going to get as coordinators?

By all account she is a good guy, he was actually a good DC here and a VERY good one at Florida, and went on to big success at Loiusville. He failed in two stops after that- so I’d say he is both a good DC candidate and a good example of a coach who had tons of success as both a great coordinator AND big time success as a HC before getting a step up to Texas- sounds like many here would be thrilled with that type of hire and yet it still did not work?? Perhaps Strong would be a good addition to Beamer’s staff though- as a voice with lots of HC experience. He can certainly advise on things that did and did not work well for him.
I'm guessing you don't know about his baggage?

I'm guessing you don't know about his baggage?
Nope... I would be curious to hear it though. Not campaigning for him but beyond being fired from a few jobs I do not know of any serious allegations of cheating or major personal transgressions? Do tell!

This question is why I'd rather go with Napier or Chadwell....you'll likely get most of thier current staffs coming along with them.

Reactions: redrogers
Curious what the difference is regarding head coaching aptitude
Frankly, I'm not interested in most coordinators. I'd like to see a head coach with a history of success. Beamer might turn out to be a great hire, if he is the guy, but it's odd we're taking a shot on a guy nobody else is after. Given the current state the program after hiring a proven failure like Muschamp, hiring a position coach based on a 'plan' is a helluva risk. But given Tanner's record hiring coaches, in sure it'll be fine.

I have to admit I have scoffed at the idea of Beamer's experience as a ST coordinator being the same as an OC or DC, but the more I think about it, it's just as legitimate. Think about it. The STC is responsible for choosing punt/punt return, kick/kick return teams, drawing up formations based on the scenario, and scheming fake kick/punt and normal kick/punt plays. Yes, he'll certainly ask for input from HC, OC, and DC about different players, but most of these tasks are done alone. An OC or DC his the other offensive and defensive coaches to work with.

Last edited:
I have to admit I have scoffed at the idea of Beamer's experience as a ST coordinator being the same as an OC or DC, but the more I think about it, it's just legitimate. Think about it. The STC is responsible for choosing punt/punt return, kick/kick return teams, drawing up formations based on the scenario, and scheming fake kick/punt and normal kick/punt plays. Yes, he'll certainly ask for input from HC, OC, and DC about different players, but most of these tasks are done alone. An OC or DC his the other offensive and defensive coaches to work with.
And how many people have complained about our punt return and kick coveraged during the Muschamp era? Beamer brings instant ST success which, if we are to succeed at SC, need to excel in

Frankly, I'm not interested in most coordinators. I'd like to see a head coach with a history of success. Beamer might turn out to be a great hire, if he is the guy, but it's odd we're taking a shot on a guy nobody else is after. Given the current state the program after hiring a proven failure like Muschamp, hiring a position coach based on a 'plan' is a helluva risk. But given Tanner's record hiring coaches, in sure it'll be fine.
You and I are in agreement. HC after HC who has come from being a successful coordinator has said there's a huge difference in the roles and responsibilities and that the transition is tough. These reasons are why I would prefer Chadwell (1st) and Napier (close 2nd). The only reason I prefer Chadwell is because he has SIGNIFICANTLY more experience as a HC. Chadwell is in his 11th year while Napier is in his 3rd. But, I would be super happy with either.

You and I are in agreement. HC after HC who has come from being a successful coordinator has said there's a huge difference in the roles and responsibilities and that the transition is tough. These reasons are why I would prefer Chadwell (1st) and Napier (close 2nd). The only reason I prefer Chadwell is because he has SIGNIFICANTLY more experience as a HC. Chadwell is in his 11th year while Napier is in his 3rd. But, I would be super happy with either.
And either would take the job.

I keep seeing the Beamer hire is a done deal. I'm skeptical. If the decision has already been made, what would be the benefit of concealing it?

Reactions: rogue cock
And either would take the job.

I keep seeing the Beamer hire is a done deal. I'm skeptical. If the decision has already been made, what would be the benefit of concealing it?
I agree- the people saying it is a done deal are reading tea leaves. Beamer IS a strong candidate but he has not even interviewed yet (will today I think)! Chadwell and Napier both have apparently... I still stick with my original call- Napier is the best fit and my top choice. I hope he gets it, but I think we have plenty of good options. Chadwell would be exciting to me as well..

To me, never having been a coordinator would be a plus. Could devote full attention to the TEAM instead of being swamped with pay calling duties etc,

Reactions: jerryusc
I’d call EllisJohnson to be DC. Never understood why some were sour on him. Coached some of the best defenses we had and coached with Beamer. And already in Cola and would accept.
Call Brad Lawing for D line

Did you ever think there’s a reason no one else has called Ellis for a job? Ever think there’s a reason we hired him as a QC/analyst guy, then let him go?

Ever think there’s a reason no one has called Brad for a job ever since Elliott had to quietly fire him at Georgia State after giving him a hand up?

Some of our fanbase need to quit living in the past. Those guys are unemployed for a reason.

Did you ever think there’s a reason no one else has called Ellis for a job? Ever think there’s a reason we hired him as a QC/analyst guy, then let him go?

Ever think there’s a reason no one has called Brad for a job ever since Elliott had to quietly fire him at Georgia State after giving him a hand up?

Some of our fanbase need to quit living in the past. Those guys are unemployed for a reason.
Who would you hire for DC and defensive line?

And OC for that matter. And QB coach.

This question is why I'd rather go with Napier or Chadwell....you'll likely get most of thier current staffs coming along with them.
What makes you think Chadwell's staff are SEC level? We are gonna bring in Willy Korn? So if Chadwell is successful, what keeps him from going to UT, his favorite SEC team?

Who would you hire for DC and defensive line?

I haven’t given it any thought, because those hires will depend on who we hire as HBC and who he has contacts with.

That said, there are many successful DC’s and DL coaches currently active in college football.

Certainly enough that we don’t have to dredge up two of our former coaches who appear to be unemployable by anyone else.

Shawn Elliott having to quietly let go Lawing after him only being on the job a few months should be raising warning flags in your mind.

Reactions: ddw1263
And OC for that matter. And QB coach.

Again, depends on the HBC.

If we hire Beamer and basically start over with a younger staff, Lincoln Riley’s brother is OC at SMU. .

For that matter, IMHO Bobby Bentley would be a very good candidate, and very well may have been our OC if Jake hadn’t enrollled here.

Shaw could very well be a very good QB Coach.

Hiring coordinators isn’t just picking and choosing who is good and throwing them on a staff, there is a culture and development of like minded individuals that’s very important to be successful

Nope... I would be curious to hear it though. Not campaigning for him but beyond being fired from a few jobs I do not know of any serious allegations of cheating or major personal transgressions? Do tell!
Banging Louisville BOT wives. Couldn't leave the snowbunnies alone.

Reactions: redrogers
You wanna talk about the fan base turning sour against a new hire? Doing this would be a huge start. Strong is a fantastic guy, but there were too many times his defenses couldn't stop drives from becoming long and methodical. Then there's the "3rd and long Charlie Strong" that will likely never go away. Like I said, though, I met him on several occasions, and he was a fantastic person.

Strong would make an excellant addition to a staff, just not as a coordinator. He isn't organized enough. Great mentor for young black players though. Just make him an assistant head coach, responsible for outside LBs. His real job is to keep players out of trouble off the field.

Who needs qualifications when you hire a HC that hasn’t ever been anything more than what Beamer has? Seems we are just throwing stuff at the wall and hope it sticks.
Don't forget he was a long snapper on the Va Tech team that played for a national championship and got fined $25,000 for his part in the "wakeyleaks" scandal. Perfect for our struggling Gamecocks.

Reactions: Spur 'Em
Durkin as DC and keep Rocker on DL.
I agree with Rocker being retained. I think he has done a solid job this year. I used to be really high on Durkin, but the shine on that star has dulled. I'm not even sure why though.

I agree with Rocker being retained. I think he has done a solid job this year. I used to be really high on Durkin, but the shine on that star has dulled. I'm not even sure why though.
Probably because he is the co-DC at Ole Miss, which has some of the worst talent on defense in the league. He is better than that.....much, much better.

Reactions: kotr
Probably because he is the co-DC at Ole Miss, which has some of the worst talent on defense in the league. He is better than that.....much, much better.
You may be right. I also don't know if it's related to the allegations at Maryland. I don't have a negative feeling about him, but I do know he's not as appealing to me as he once was.

Last edited:
To me, never having been a coordinator would be a plus. Could devote full attention to the TEAM instead of being swamped with pay calling duties etc,
The advantage I see is that while his preference would probably be air raid pass concepts with power run and will probably go with an unusual base defense tuned to the spread, like the 3-3-5 base, 4-2-5 base or the system Aranda runs, he likely won't be committed to anything passe or that we simply don't have the personnel for.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT