ADVERTISEMENT

If Frank leaves

Tubby Smith is available. I remember him lobbying for the job when Horn got cannned. We may be the only state in the country that he hasn't coached a team.

Reactions: Brace1
Serious question, but what is a SEC mens basketball coach type ?

As long as the next coach shows the ability to bring a consistent winning campaign year in and year out, I'm willing to bring him aboard.
In football, the local talking heads refer to SEC defenses, SEC running backs, SEC offenses etc.., so I would assume there is such a thing as SEC basketball coach.

We need to hire an SEC type coach.
Good lord people, use your brains. Why so much hate for the ONLY men's basketball coach to take USC to the Final Four and the ONLY coach since McGuire to put together 4 straight winning seasons?

1) Frank had a relationship with former UCONN coach Jim Calhoun... that was the only thing tying him there.
2) Frank has a 15 million dollar buy out. He's not going anywhere.
3) It's well known that Marshall is an a$$ and that's why no other major school has signed him either! Word was that he ticked off enough people here years ago and will NEVER get a call from USC.

This past season obviously was not great, but for those wondering about what happened in recruiting.... signing and recruiting were pretty much already done before we even got to the Final Four last year. You won't see the fruits of that run in recruiting until this coming year or after that since you have to get "in" on recruits so early these days.

I read Frank has a 3.5 mil buyout in the post and courier. Just wondering if its 15 or 3.5. That's quite a difference. Btw I hope he stays and think he will but I'm not really connected. Just my gut feeling

I don't have any problem with the "type" of coach FM is. I enjoy watching his defenses but wish he would recruit some better shooters, across the board.

Reactions: king ward
Hope he doesn't leave but I would think we would try to get Boynton if we can get him out of that contract.

This seems like a logical option, in the future. I would like to see if he can keep a 20+ win pace. I season does not really seem like a good indication, especially for a team that won 20 games the year before he was hired.

How's the weather in Connecticut ?
giphy.gif

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Good lord people, use your brains. Why so much hate for the ONLY men's basketball coach to take USC to the Final Four and the ONLY coach since McGuire to put together 4 straight winning seasons?

1) Frank had a relationship with former UCONN coach Jim Calhoun... that was the only thing tying him there.
3) It's well known that Marshall is an a$$ and that's why no other major school has signed him either! Word was that he ticked off enough people here years ago and will NEVER get a call from USC.

This past season obviously was not great, but for those wondering about what happened in recruiting.... signing and recruiting were pretty much already done before we even got to the Final Four last year. You won't see the fruits of that run in recruiting until this coming year or after that since you have to get "in" on recruits so early these days.

I just can't comprehend a 'good ole boy' from Greenwood, SC, being a 'well known ass'. I worked with one of Marshall's relatives for many years. Probably the nicest guys in a department that was loaded with jerks! :D

I just can't comprehend a 'good ole boy' from Greenwood, SC, being a 'well known ass'. I worked with one of Marshall's relatives for many years. Probably the nicest guys in a department that was loaded with jerks! :D
Just one of the excuses that people use to hate on him. He is intense and supremely confident, which is what I would hope any coach we hire would be. He is a nice guy from the few times I've spent with him years ago.

What about the OP made you think he hates Frank Martin? Looks to me you're making an awful big assumption.

Gee Manelli! So many on here have azz on their shoulders.

Could not agree more. That's what happens when you make assumptions. Often times I'd like to see things from their point of view, but I just can't seem to get my head that for up my azz. (JasonScottinSC, that last comment is not directed at you.)

Last edited:
Sounds like you know you way around a buffet. Amirite?
Actually not fond of buffets, just offering some free business advice to you guys that may be interested in opening " all you can eat buffet" Actually at Red Lobster as we speak.

Maybe we could work a trade with UConn. We get Geno ( to coach the men) and they get Frank. Just kidding...I like Frank and hope he's here for a while...but I do believe Geno is the best coach in the country.

I could see Frank considering a move if the opportunity arose. Although the UConn job is not the same UConn job it was during Calhoun's tenure, and probably never will be again. The program lost a lot of it's identity when the Big East fell apart. But I could see Frank making a move. A very hot stretch that produced a final four run, was just that. A hot stretch that was great, but unexpected, as the team hadn't shown that consistency all year. Other than that Frank's time in Columbia has bordered on the mediocre. Yea, it's better than Odom, or Horn. But not exactly the type of turnaround many we're hoping for. Frank knows the game. He knows even if the program is better than it was, that folks want to see improvement more along the lines of what Barnes has done at UT. Sometimes it is better to stay one step ahead of the wolves and leave before they start howling

Reactions: 67gamecock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT