ADVERTISEMENT

If game gets cancelled, thoughs....

omabound

Jun 11, 2002
Greenville, SC
Marshall and SC’s bye week is different. If we get cancelled this week, and can’t make it up with Marshall, what options do we have?? I noticed that West Virginia also has an Oct 20 bye week and their game is cancelled this week. Maybe they’d come down on Oct 20??? I just hope we don’t lose a game and can’t make it up.
*side note: I know football isn’t important in the big picture, but just thinking about what could happen.*

Well according to some the season is over anyways - might as well play WVU! I think thatd be a good matchup but seems like a stretch for 2 bigger programs to connect on something like that as quickly as it would need to happen. Probbaly easier to find a smaller school with a bye week to come and play us...or just not play the game and have one less game on the schedule...OR play it this Sat in WV
I don't really know to be honest nor do I think I'll probably really care come end of the season how all of this played out.

That would sell a lot of tickets but man our defense would struggle badly with their offense. They have a very good group of receivers and a QB that knows what he's doing. They would be a challenge for sure and our offense would have to be perfect that day because we would get into a scoring match with them.

Reactions: king ward
WVU would crush us. And potentially embarrass us with that offense. I’d rather schedule UNC who is a mess. Though I’m sure they would pass so they can fire Fedora on Monday of that week.

Don’t schedule UCF. NC State is ok though we could lose. Possibly UVA depending on what they do this week. Going to be tough to get a power 5 school to come to us for a 1 game deal.

Ga Southern may be available if the Clemson game gets cancelled. That’s a FBS team so counts toward bowl eligibility if we needed it. Can only count one FCS team, and already have Chattanooga. Hopefully it won’t matter, but we’d have to schedule soon, and we need to be sure to schedule a win.

There is no way a football game gets played this weekend in our state!! I don't care whether the game gets rescheduled or not.. If we play 11 games so be it!!!

Reactions: GamecockArmy
Do like that team last year did. Don’t make it up unless you need a 6th win game then grab a gimme at the end of the year

Reactions: Judson1
But we only played 11 games then. We had not yet moved to 12 games, thereby moving the Clemson game to Thanksgiving weekend.

True. And now you have conference championships and Army Navy backed up on the schedule into December.

I think the October open date is the most likely make up date, but that opponent will not be Marshall.

Maybe we will actually play a decent non conference game out of necessity, but I’m expecting Newberry or it’s equivalent.

WVU would crush us. And potentially embarrass us with that offense. I’d rather schedule UNC who is a mess. Though I’m sure they would pass so they can fire Fedora on Monday of that week.

Don’t schedule UCF. NC State is ok though we could lose. Possibly UVA depending on what they do this week. Going to be tough to get a power 5 school to come to us for a 1 game deal.

Ga Southern may be available if the Clemson game gets cancelled. That’s a FBS team so counts toward bowl eligibility if we needed it. Can only count one FCS team, and already have Chattanooga. Hopefully it won’t matter, but we’d have to schedule soon, and we need to be sure to schedule a win.

One would think this game would get rescheduled between these two teams. There are contracts in place that would have to be honored.
Also there is no good reason why any of the teams you have mentioned would have any incentive to accommodate us or any other school that has to cancel games. They have their own interests to worry about.

One would think this game would get rescheduled between these two teams. There are contracts in place that would have to be honored.
Also there is no good reason why any of the teams you have mentioned would have any incentive to accommodate us or any other school that has to cancel games. They have their own interests to worry about.

I was replying to the suggestion we should schedule WVU. I mentioned it would be difficult for a Power 5 team to come play us. For a number of reasons, mainly they would only be interested in a home and home. If we could somehow convince a Power 5 to give us a home game (which wouldn’t happen) I would hope it wouldn’t be WVU. The schools mentioned are all schools that have had games cancelled this week, other than UVA that moved their game to Nashville after my comments. Teams may need a 6th win to be bowl eligible. It’ll be interesting to see what happens with some of these schools if that’s the case. Look at FSU last season.

Ga Southern game against Clemson would likely not be rescheduled and Clemson would be playing in ACCCG. I’m sure we could pay them as much as Marshall was being paid if we could not work out the game against Marshall. Obviously scheduling Marshall is the most logical option. But they could very well be in the CUSA Championship Game themselves, leaving us without an opponent.

I’m sure these contracts have provisions in them. Bowling Green never came here the week of September 11th and we scheduled Wofford the week before Clemson game (previously a bye week) so these things have happened before.

Last edited:
This would never happen, but playing VT even if it meant a neutral site, could be an interesting matchup

It would be insane to give up our bye week. It would be more insane to schedule another opponent such as WVU. Are you crazy? We need a certain W - play PC, S.C. State(not Wofford or Citadel) or someone like that.

It would be insane to give up our bye week. It would be more insane to schedule another opponent such as WVU. Are you crazy? We need a certain W - play PC, S.C. State(not Wofford or Citadel) or someone like that.
I'd rather play Coastal AGAIN and pay them again than to play an FCS school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT