ADVERTISEMENT

If Lt. Gen. Robert Caslen isn't our next President at USC

I am surprised that nobody within the University system was being groomed for this position. It is kind of embarrassing that we are having this much trouble filling the position with an experienced academic leader.

We did groom TWO of 'em - one (a Greek national) became the President of the University of Illinois/Chicago and the other ( female) recently was installed as President of the University of Minnesota.

I am surprised that nobody within the University system was being groomed for this position. It is kind of embarrassing that we are having this much trouble filling the position with an experienced academic leader.
They were and we let the University of Minnesota hire her away.

Reactions: howard13
I do not have anything against the General. I was a Marine Officer for 8 years and I have respect for all branches of the military except the Navy (ok, I like the Navy too). I just do not see where leading an academy translates to leading a large research university. Two completely different skill sets. We need a President with experience and focus on fundraising and athletic excellence (which helps bring in more funds and better students). Leading the USMA requires little in the way of fundraising and the athletics there are not a major focus.

Leadership is important, playing politics is important, the General is probably good in these areas.

I do not have anything against the General. I was a Marine Officer for 8 years and I have respect for all branches of the military except the Navy (ok, I like the Navy too). I just do not see where leading an academy translates to leading a large research university. Two completely different skill sets. We need a President with experience and focus on fundraising and athletic excellence (which helps bring in more funds and better students). Leading the USMA requires little in the way of fundraising and the athletics there are not a major focus.

Leadership is important, playing politics is important, the General is probably good in these areas.

Texas hired Admiral McRaven and he did well, at least until his health problems surfaced.

I support Caslen, but the objectors have more qualified candidates, they say, You know, I bet most of them would support someone with more experience, someone who the media portrays as honorable, ethical, compassionate, and a woman to boot, Checks all the PC boxes. How many of the objectors to Caslen would support Hillary Clinton as our next President. The sad thing is - you know the vast majority of them would be delighted. People need to wake up and cut off the liars and phoneys on CNN and MSNBC. I know a lot of you disagree, but if you want the truth you should watch Fox or you won`t know what the truth is. I don`t always agree with them but at least they tell the entire story and not just what fits a narrative like the other "news" groups.

We did groom TWO of 'em - one (a Greek national) became the President of the University of Illinois/Chicago and the other ( female) recently was installed as President of the University of Minnesota.

I have not kept up, but were either of these approached?

I support Caslen, but the objectors have more qualified candidates, they say, You know, I bet most of them would support someone with more experience, someone who the media portrays as honorable, ethical, compassionate, and a woman to boot, Checks all the PC boxes. How many of the objectors to Caslen would support Hillary Clinton as our next President. The sad thing is - you know the vast majority of them would be delighted. People need to wake up and cut off the liars and phoneys on CNN and MSNBC. I know a lot of you disagree, but if you want the truth you should watch Fox or you won`t know what the truth is. I don`t always agree with them but at least they tell the entire story and not just what fits a narrative like the other "news" groups.

Here is the new USC President for the little snow flakes...

220px-Jane_Sanders.jpg

Good lord dude. If you want to know the truth watch Fox? Quit drinking.

How about quit watching cable news and read a variety of newspapers each day from across the country (news articles, not opinion pages) and a few from overseas.

Cable news is telling you a partisan view of the news. That is their mission. Fox was created as a conservative viewpoint. MSNBC was created to offer a liberal view. You are getting their version of the truth, not the truth. There are tons of examples of all cable news shows skirting the truth every day.

I don’t care about the politics of Caslen or student protesters. Students of every stripe have every right in the world to express their views and opinions on their own President. ( My goodness, the posters on this board post their opionions on everything all day long) If more of them are liberal opinions, that’s perfectly fine. If more of them are conservative opinions, that’s fine. That’s democracy in action.

I believe They left before Pastides announced.
Just quit conspiracy outrage, he did not get the job because he is not qualified or a good fit. From everything I read he is a top notch officer and has led an upright life. BUT no PhD, which is a requirement for the position. His academic experience is all at military academies. West Point does not fund raise as they are fully funded by the US government and are legally prevented from outside fund raising. The faculty found him lacking. And to top it off he is 66 yo which means a short almost interim tenure with no chance of implementing a significant leadership plan.
So to recap
NO PhD
NO Experience at a tier one academic institution
NO Fundraising experience in this arena
NO Internal support
NO chance for long term impact or continuity
NO Liberal Conspiracy
And his son is a sore loser little shit who can’t keep his whiny snowflake mouth shut, Did he learn that at home?

Here is the new USC President for the little snow flakes...

220px-Jane_Sanders.jpg

The students and faculty are the snowflakes for voicing their opinions In public (pretty brave if you ask me) but McMaster who got upset that the students didn’t like Caslen, a man he hasn’t met, isnt a snowflake?

caslan’s son whined like my 10 year old daughter in April on social media attacking USC, attacking students, and attacking our entire school. Talk about the king of snowflakes.

Interesting how only the other side has snowflakes to you.

Amen

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2

How about quit watching cable news and read a variety of newspapers each day from across the country (news articles, not opinion pages) and a few from overseas.

Cable news is telling you a partisan view of the news. That is their mission. Fox was created as a conservative viewpoint. MSNBC was created to offer a liberal view. You are getting their version of the truth, not the truth. There are tons of examples of all cable news shows skirting the truth every day.

I don’t care about the politics of Caslen or student protesters. Students of every stripe have every right in the world to express their views and opinions on their own President. ( My goodness, the posters on this board post their opionions on everything all day long) If more of them are liberal opinions, that’s perfectly fine. If more of them are conservative opinions, that’s fine. That’s democracy in action.
newspapers are just as bad..believe none of what you hear and half of what you see

Reactions: drawplay000

Amaridis applied but withdrew; Gabel was named President at Minnesota, a far more desirable position. The latter would have been a disaster so we'll count our blessings.

I’m sure he’s a great guy but this ain’t West Point, VMI or Citadel. We’re a tier 1 research university. Need an academic at the helm IMO

Texas did well with Admiral McRaven at the helm. In the 1990s Texas had a lot of success with Hans Mark at the helm, he wasn't an academic his experience was running NASA. Most actual academics have no fund raising experience.

newspapers are just as bad..believe none of what you hear and half of what you see

I disagree. Cable news is a shoutfest of half truths and refusing to cover stories that don’t agree with their bias. They are programmed propaganda.

When MSNBC has a prominent liberal on and an obscure conservative no one has ever heard of who looks awful on a tv screen, that is bias and propaganda.

Each morning, MSNBC has Morning Joe on where 4-5 liberals sit around with a few former republicans. That’s not fair minded.

Each morning on Fox News is the entertainment show Fox & Friends whose 3 co-hosts cheer on Trump regardless of the situation and whose toughest question of him is asking him what type of cereal does he like to eat.

When Fox News has 5 consecutive conservative guests on between 9-10 am and then one state level Democrat from Illinois no one has ever heard and is given 20 seconds to respond, that’s bias and an attempt at propaganda.

I don’t find that at all when I read a variety of newspapers each morning from across the country.

Last edited:
How about do truth a favor and stop relying on ad supported corporate television for information.

The students and faculty are the snowflakes for voicing their opinions In public (pretty brave if you ask me) but McMaster who got upset that the students didn’t like Caslen, a man he hasn’t met, isnt a snowflake?

caslan’s son whined like my 10 year old daughter in April on social media attacking USC, attacking students, and attacking our entire school. Talk about the king of snowflakes.

Interesting how only the other side has snowflakes to you.
The fragile ego of these guys who cry snowflake are so unaware of their projection it's stupifiying. But hey, that's just the row a stable genius hoes.

How about do truth a favor and stop relying on ad supported corporate television for information.

Cable news has a stated agenda. Fox News doesn’t hide that they were created to offer a conservative alternative. MSNBC, under its current setup, was created specifically as an alternative to Fox. Both are giving you their version of the truth in a sanitized way, not necessarily the truth. Their overt propaganda isn’t only in what they choose to cover but the large amount of stories they won’t cover.

If you watched only cable news, you’d never know that Mike Pence spiked a federal judge that Trump wanted to nominate in Pence’s home state of Indiana because of fear of what the nominee (Indiana’s former solicitor general under Pence) would have to defend during a confirmantion fight regarding some of Pence’s more controversial stances as the former governor. But you would know it by reading newspapers.

And I am not just talking about major city newspapers. I’m talking about the 6-8 regional newspapers from across the country I read each day from reporters just covering the news of the day. One of those reporters is a friend of mine. I have no clue about his politics as he doesn’t share his views- and I don’t care what it is anyway. He’s an honest guy just doing his job.

Last edited:
The fragile ego of these guys who cry snowflake are so unaware of their projection it's stupifiying. But hey, that's just the row a stable genius hoes.

Well that’s what I see all the time, even with people I personally know.

The people often crying “snowflake” are so stinking sensitive themselves that everything that they see that doesn’t reinforce what they already believe ticks them off. They never comprehend the irony of their own whining and complaining.

Texas did well with Admiral McRaven at the helm. In the 1990s Texas had a lot of success with Hans Mark at the helm, he wasn't an academic his experience was running NASA. Most actual academics have no fund raising experience.
When was Admiral McRaven? USC has also had an admiral as president, Norman Smith. Believe that was during WWII time

When was Admiral McRaven? USC has also had an admiral as president, Norman Smith. Believe that was during WWII time

McRaven was Chancellor of the University of Texas System for about three years starting in January of 2015. His tenure would have been longer, but he suffered an undisclosed illness that was a factor in him cutting it short. I think someone at a very high level in the military needs a lot of the same skill set that a College Chancellor or President needs. That doesn't mean I am for or against Caslen, just a general observation (pun intended).

Reactions: coolcock2001

I have enough experience with Caslen from his time at UCF to see that he is not good at fundraising or doing the PR things that one needs to do to be successful at a major research university. Universities don't run like the military. You can't just bark orders and have people run and do it. Unfortunately, it is a consensus building exercise. We can do so much better than Caslen. I was extremely unhappy with all of the final candidates we had selected. This job is a better job than that. We need to take our time and find the right person. We didn't do it this time. Shame on the BOT.

That's pretty damn good.

Reactions: uscalumni
I have enough experience with Caslen from his time at UCF to see that he is not good at fundraising or doing the PR things that one needs to do to be successful at a major research university. Universities don't run like the military. You can't just bark orders and have people run and do it. Unfortunately, it is a consensus building exercise. We can do so much better than Caslen. I was extremely unhappy with all of the final candidates we had selected. This job is a better job than that. We need to take our time and find the right person. We didn't do it this time. Shame on the BOT.
Didn't realize military leadership was that easy

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT