ADVERTISEMENT

If Lt. Gen. Robert Caslen isn't our next President at USC

Trump, the GOP and the Easter Bunny are hard at work. Some of you guys are hilarious.

And did someone say that the AP is a good source for accurate news? This just gets better and better.

And did someone say that the AP is a good source for accurate news? This just gets better and better.

I didn’t but yes, they are very good.

Organizations as varied as Fox News and MSNBC (not to mention thousands of news organizations big and small) use AP news reports constantly.

And also because a friend of mine works as an AP reporter.

All 'news' today is designed to draw clicks and eyeballs. It's pretty much impossible to find news today that isn't slanted one way or the other.

As it relates to the USC president search, I would guess that we, the general public, have knowledge of less than 50% of what is really happening. It is wayyy too easy to pick up bits and pieces of the story, and then splice things together into 'the news'.

All 'news' today is designed to draw clicks and eyeballs. It's pretty much impossible to find news today that isn't slanted one way or the other.

As it relates to the USC president search, I would guess that we, the general public, have knowledge of less than 50% of what is really happening. It is wayyy too easy to pick up bits and pieces of the story, and then splice things together into 'the news'.
That's true. There is no objective fact. And we've what's been at war with EastAsia.

Caslen was divisive at UCF and hurt their fundraising. I know this well because i live in Orlando and saw what he did as we tried to open the UCF Med School. He was incompetent. Why would a UCF reject be our top choice?? Makes zero sense.

Caslen was divisive at UCF and hurt their fundraising. I know this well because i live in Orlando and saw what he did as we tried to open the UCF Med School. He was incompetent. Why would a UCF reject be our top choice?? Makes zero sense.

Because the current process is being driven by politicians and has little to do with assessing how the hire would improve the university. Despite what some people believe, it's possible to respect his service to our country and even agree that he was an effective superintendent at West Point while maintaining that he does not have the appropriate qualifications or background to lead a major research university. FWIW, several of us have argued from the beginning that the entire finalist pool was weak.

Please provide some further color here.

How was he divisive?

What happened with the medical school that showed his personal incompetence?

I'm not picking on your insight...I am genuinely curious for more info.

What are you talking about? UCF's med school opened in 2006. Caslen was at UCF between January 2019-May 2019.

Caslen hired (announced Jan 7, 2019): https://www.ucf.edu/news/former-west-point-superintendent-lead-change-ucf/

Caslen leaving (Announced April 25, 2019): https://www.ucf.edu/news/announcing-new-interim-cfo/

Last edited:
Please provide some further color here.

How was he divisive?

What happened with the medical school that showed his personal incompetence?

I'm not picking on your insight...I am genuinely curious for more info.

I can't speak to whether or not he was divisive. However, he was not well-received from the jump by the UCF community - people just didn't understand or respond well to his addition to UCF leadership. Whether that was merited or not requires information that I don't have. The poster is wildly incorrect, though, as he was not at UCF when the medical school opened in 2006 and had nothing to do with the medical school while he was very briefly at UCF.

What are you talking about? UCF's med school opened in 2006. Caslen was at UCF between January 2019-May 2019.

Caslen hired (announced Jan 7, 2019): https://www.ucf.edu/news/former-west-point-superintendent-lead-change-ucf/

Caslen leaving (Announced April 25, 2019): https://www.ucf.edu/news/announcing-new-interim-cfo/

I'm on the board of a company that has created a research park outside of Orlando. We were setting up a program with UCF and the Burnham Institute to do a joint research center there. We were to donate the land, Burnham researchers and money and UCF Medical school was to put part of the medical school there. There was fundraising to be done but we were getting close. Caslen came in and so infuriated the partners in the program that Burnham and others pulled out. He wasn't there very long but did some damage.

I'm on the board of a company that has created a research park outside of Orlando. We were setting up a program with UCF and the Burnham Institute to do a joint research center there. We were to donate the land, Burnham researchers and money and UCF Medical school was to put part of the medical school there. There was fundraising to be done but we were getting close. Caslen came in and so infuriated the partners in the program that Burnham and others pulled out. He wasn't there very long but did some damage.

Thanks for the added color. Can you speak to what Caslen did that infuriated so many people? That seems odd.

Reactions: JohnnySurfin
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT