ADVERTISEMENT

If Mark Kingston is our next coach.... Then I'm not there yet...

A win over FSU and Florida in regular season, and a loss in the tourney to the national champs in extras?

Hes not gonna be good enough, Ray Tanner should have paid the buyout for OSullivan, and brought Louisvilles coach in as an assistant, hired Freddie Freeman and Ken Griffey JR as hitting coaches, and Nolan Ryan as pitching coach.. I just dont understand it.. Hes so stupid and over his head as an AD.. My 3 year old could have done better, he has no clue, I cant believe he just interviewed one stupid coach..

WE NEED TO WIN OMFG..

Illinois State
- 10 years before Kingston, 2 winning seasons.
- 5 years with Kingston - 5 winnings seasons, 2 conference championships, 1 conf. tournament championship

South Florida
- Prior to Kingston - 0 NCAAs since 2002
- 3 years with Kingston - 2 NCAAs, 40+ wins this year (first 40+ win season at USF since 1994)

The guy knows how to win, now he's getting a chance on a bigger stage at place that actually has tradition and resources.

Reactions: gamecock ed
Illinois State
- 10 years before Kingston, 2 winning seasons.
- 5 years with Kingston - 5 winnings seasons, 2 conference championships, 1 conf. tournament championship

South Florida
- Prior to Kingston - 0 NCAAs since 2002
- 3 years with Kingston - 2 NCAAs, 40+ wins this year (first 40+ win season at USF since 1994)

The guy knows how to win, now he's getting a chance on a bigger stage at place that actually has tradition and resources.

Tanner coming to Columbia was a major hire coming from NC State...

Tanner hiring Chad who was the head coach in waiting... Turn out to be a bad hire....

Hopefully Mark Kingston will be better hire...

I was hoping for someone who has been to the NCAA's Tournament several times like Tanner did at NC State..

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
You can't just look at trips to Omaha. You have to look at success based on the resources around you. Look at the programs where he has been a head coach. Neither had a good history of success. Neither paid him much. Neither had a fan base. Neither had a lot of resources to help the program be successful. Look what he did, now think about what a guy like that can do at a place that DOES have all of the above.

The guy knows how to win, now he's getting a chance on a bigger stage at place with money, facilities, history etc. to help him succeed.

When talking about Ivy League schools, Peter De Vries, said "I am not impressed by the Ivy League establishments. Of course they graduate the best--it's all they'll take, leaving to others the problem of educating the country. They [Ivy League schools] will give you an education the way the banks will give you money--provided you can prove to their satisfaction that you don't need it."

Kingston's successes at less established schools may be more impressive than others' accomplishments at larger, better funded institutions. I have read several stories about his coaching, recruiting, and teaching abilities. Moreover, he appears to be well respected by other college coaches, players, and MLB insiders.

I know some will dismiss my comments, citing Sparky Woods at Appalachian State, but Kingston went against the best teams in the country and proved he could compete.

I am excited about the future of Gamecock baseball.

Go Gamecocks! Welcome Coach Kingston.

SC 95

Reactions: jmblaich
You can't just look at trips to Omaha. You have to look at success based on the resources around you. Look at the programs where he has been a head coach. Neither had a good history of success. Neither paid him much. Neither had a fan base. Neither had a lot of resources to help the program be successful. Look what he did, now think about what a guy like that can do at a place that DOES have all of the above.

The guy knows how to win, now he's getting a chance on a bigger stage at place with money, facilities, history etc. to help him succeed.

Did I say Omaha??? No, I said NCAA Tournaments...

Omaha is different...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT