ADVERTISEMENT

If Miami beats 'Cuse this weekend

HI Cock

Oct 14, 2012
Does Miami jump Clemson? Should they? (IMHO, yes)

What would the playoff committee think?

Reactions: howard13
No undefeated power 5 school should be ranked behind any team with a loss. Nothing about the poles irritates me more than that. After fsu lost their second game they were still ranked LSU is hard to get out of the poles also. Just think there should be some common sense in the rankings.

No undefeated power 5 school should be ranked behind any team with a loss. Nothing about the poles irritates me more than that. After fsu lost their second game they were still ranked LSU is hard to get out of the poles also. Just think there should be some common sense in the rankings.

Not sure if I agree with that 100%. Strength of schedule, who you lost to and how you lost would factor into how I would rank the teams. I don't think I would put an undefeated team, who hasn't played any ranked teams and barely won each game, ahead of a 1 loss team that has played 3-4 ranked teams and lost to the #1 team by 3 points. Common sense, IMO, is to look at the whole picture, not just the W-L record.

Not a fan of Miami but I do hope they have a stellar season because this would only return the program back to prominence. With a Top 10 finish, more Florida kids will flock to Miami and the team will then be able to contend with and supplant Clemson as the ACC top dog. Hurricane Warning to them taters!!!

Reactions: Lakecock1
Not a fan of Miami but I do hope they have a stellar season because this would only return the program back to prominence. With a Top 10 finish, more Florida kids will flock to Miami and the team will then be able to contend with and supplant Clemson as the ACC top dog. Hurricane Warning to them taters!!!

Not to mention the 5* South Florida players who will be drawn to Miami over Floridee! :D

Not sure if I agree with that 100%. Strength of schedule, who you lost to and how you lost would factor into how I would rank the teams. I don't think I would put an undefeated team, who hasn't played any ranked teams and barely won each game, ahead of a 1 loss team that has played 3-4 ranked teams and lost to the #1 team by 3 points. Common sense, IMO, is to look at the whole picture, not just the W-L record.
So you think a one loss Clemson should be ranked ahead of an undefeated Miami? How about a 1-2 fsu being ranked

So you think a one loss Clemson should be ranked ahead of an undefeated Miami? How about a 1-2 fsu being ranked

That's not what I said. Clemson lost to an unranked team. If Clemson had lost to Alabama, by a late field goal, there could be an argument. Looking at the record ONLY is a bit flawed, IMO.

That's not what I said. Clemson lost to an unranked team. If Clemson had lost to Alabama, by a late field goal, there could be an argument. Looking at the record ONLY is a bit flawed, IMO.
Maybe but it isn't more flawed than what they are doing now, ranking by name.

Reactions: Judson1
Agreed no power 5 school should be behind a 1 loss team of undefeated but also Miami has played nobody yet...they’re hardest game the entire year is VT. They’re next hardest after that is FSU or Notre Dame (overrated as usually)...FSU and Duke are Miami cornerstone wins so far this season.

Not sure I agree with this either. If Miami beats Syracuse they should jump Clemson. But that’s another issue. Your statement says “no” meaning any power five undefeated team should outrank a one loss team. I would have to consider schedule strength, how they lost, missing starters, etc. both Penn State and Wisconsin are undefeated but neither has yet to play a ranked team. I have problems with them being polled so high to this point. But, as usual, AP prejudice always favors B10 teams. And a few others.

We should be pulling for Syracuse to lose the remainder of their games. Same with Auburn, Louisville, and VaTech

If Syracuse wins out, they own the head-to-head battle with Clemson. Thus Syracuse wins the division title, assuming no 3 way tie. Clemson won't make the playoff without playing in the ACC title game.

If Syracuse wins out, they own the head-to-head battle with Clemson. Thus Syracuse wins the division title, assuming no 3 way tie. Clemson won't make the playoff without playing in the ACC title game.
Bama got to BCS championship in 2011 without going to SECCG. So I wouldn’t completely rule out not going to ACCCG keeps them from CFP

Bama got to BCS championship in 2011 without going to SECCG. So I wouldn’t completely rule out not going to ACCCG keeps them from CFP

Bama's only loss was to the number 1 team in the nation by 3 points. Last year, Ohio State made into the playoff without a division title, but they had a "good loss" at Penn State and wins over Michigan, @Wisconsin, @Oklahoma.

IMO, a 12-1 ACC champ Clemson gets in. Anything less and I don't think so, unless there is complete chaos.

Didn’t realize that. I guess I didn’t even think it was a possibility. Counting on NC State to beat them and keep them out

Reactions: howard13

Wrong. They lost to NC State already. State is currently undefeated in conference. If they lose to Clemson that puts Cuse, CU, and State in a 3 way tie for first assuming they all win their other conference games

Wrong. They lost to NC State already. State is currently undefeated in conference. If they lose to Clemson that puts Cuse, CU, and State in a 3 way tie for first assuming they all win their other conference games

Not sure why you say I'm wrong when I stated "assuming no 3 way tie." In Syracuse and Clemson end up tied only, then Syracuse does own the tie breaker. So, yeah, I want Syracuse to keep winning. I guess you're saying I'm wrong about Syracuse winning the division if they're tied with NC State only. To be honest, though, I don't really care who wins that division as long as it's not Clemson.

Reactions: rogue cock
Bama's only loss was to the number 1 team in the nation by 3 points. Last year, Ohio State made into the playoff without a division title, but they had a "good loss" at Penn State and wins over Michigan, @Wisconsin, @Oklahoma.

IMO, a 12-1 ACC champ Clemson gets in. Anything less and I don't think so, unless there is complete chaos.
What if they were 1-loss, but not defending champion. Would they still get in?

Not sure I agree with this either. If Miami beats Syracuse they should jump Clemson. But that’s another issue. Your statement says “no” meaning any power five undefeated team should outrank a one loss team. I would have to consider schedule strength, how they lost, missing starters, etc. both Penn State and Wisconsin are undefeated but neither has yet to play a ranked team. I have problems with them being polled so high to this point. But, as usual, AP prejudice always favors B10 teams. And a few others.
Over the coarse of the season bad teams will lose good teams will win. By the time the season ends it would sort itself out because power 5 teams will have to play good teams. The early rankings don't mean a lot anyway so win loss should matter now SOS should matter also but only when comparing teams with the same record. Undefeated Alabama ranked higher than undefeated Penn st undefeated Miami ahead of 1 loss Clemson.

What if they were 1-loss, but not defending champion. Would they still get in?

Do you mean if Watson had thrown a pick on the goal line at the end of the game? If so, then I think Clemson played well enough the last two years in the playoff to earn respect. But if you mean if they're a one loss team like NC state with no history in the playoff, I would be less confident they would be a sure thing.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Do you mean if Watson had thrown a pick on the goal line at the end of the game? If so, then I think Clemson played well enough the last two years in the playoff to earn respect. But if you mean if they're a one loss team like NC state with no history in the playoff, I would be less confident they would be a sure thing.
Yeah, I mean more the latter than the former. That's the part that drives some folks (like me) crazy. It's too subjective. If NC State starts the season ranked this year, they are a top 10 - maybe top 5 team (ok, not top 5). But they weren't... and a loss to a questionable - but 5-2 - USC to start the season hurt them even worse. They're 6-1 and ranked just inside the top 20 (remember the days when it was the top 20, not 25).

They're ranked below Washington State in the AP poll and one spot ahead in the Coach's poll. Wazzu got blown out by a 2-3 ASU team in the 6th game of the season.

What does all this mean? It's subjective and based (too much?) on past history dating back to at least the last season. It took us quite a while to drop from the polls in our 3-9 season. The playoffs are no better. 4 isn't enough.

Last edited:
Taters get 2 votes from playoff committee. 2 homers hand picked to be on the committee .

They are in unless they lose 3.

Taters get 2 votes from playoff committee. 2 homers hand picked to be on the committee .

They are in unless they lose 3.

This is where you should pay attention to the rules and not just throw out your conspiracy theories. Any member associated with a school being voted on for the top 4 has to leave the room when that school is being discussed and they cannot vote when its time to vote on that team.

Is there a recusal policy in place for committee members?
Yes. Committee members are recused from participating in votes involving a school’s team if they or an immediate family member receives compensation from the school or has a professional relationship with that school. The committee has the option to add other recusals if special circumstances arise. To learn more about the recusal policy and to view the selection committee protocol in its entirety, click here.

What are the terms of the recusal policy?
A recused member shall not participate in any votes, nor be present during deliberations involving the team’s selection or seeding, but may answer factual questions about the institution from which the member is recused. The recusal policy is virtually identical to the NCAA men’s basketball committee policy.

Shittiger. U don’t think they plead their case and have their friends vote for them. It’s like big brother. They in return vote for their friends who can’t vote for their own team.

I’m sure it doesn’t happen that easy but u gotta admit they are getting their stories heard and pleading their cases for the taters.

Btw. You guys are the only school to have TWO representatives on the committee. That in itself is a fraud.

Over the coarse of the season bad teams will lose good teams will win. By the time the season ends it would sort itself out because power 5 teams will have to play good teams. The early rankings don't mean a lot anyway so win loss should matter now SOS should matter also but only when comparing teams with the same record. Undefeated Alabama ranked higher than undefeated Penn st undefeated Miami ahead of 1 loss Clemson.

I agree with you on this. I wish there were no polls until at least half way thru the season but that will never happen. But, that is why they have the committee now. And why their top 25 is arranged at a later date.

Shittiger. U don’t think they plead their case and have their friends vote for them. It’s like big brother. They in return vote for their friends who can’t vote for their own team.

I’m sure it doesn’t happen that easy but u gotta admit they are getting their stories heard and pleading their cases for the taters.

Btw. You guys are the only school to have TWO representatives on the committee. That in itself is a fraud.

Leave the room or not. It’s still better if you have representation in the committee. Those other voters, if it comes down to the very end, will vote along their counterparts interests. But with that being said... a one loss CU team is getting in. They must lose another! I personally hope daboo is visiting the opponents locker room at the champs sports bowl in December.

Agreed no power 5 school should be behind a 1 loss team of undefeated but also Miami has played nobody yet...they’re hardest game the entire year is VT. They’re next hardest after that is FSU or Notre Dame (overrated as usually)...FSU and Duke are Miami cornerstone wins so far this season.
Miami looks very fragile to me. Happy for Richt, but they are not imposing.

It's getting quite obvious that you do not know a whole lot about Miami's program. The players under Shannon/Golden were leaving mostly due to transfers , not due to dismissals. Also, there have been serious upgrades to their facilities within the last several years . They are now breaking ground for a state of the art Indoor new Practice Facility, so the facilities question may be an issue 7-10 years ago, but no longer one now

You keep falling back on old cliches that are no longer relevant
I believe they need a stadium of their own. JMO.

Reactions: jeff2001
UM fans would have their own place, HOWEVER there is no available land on campus, and even if there was extremely doubtful city of Coral Gales would ever vote to allow that.
Miami is in the same predicament as USC and UCLA, they are both located in a large metropolis where vacant land is at a premium, if there was any available

The difference I see is that The Coliseum is adjacent to the Southern Cal campus. UCLA is truly landlocked and separated from their venue. And it will always hinder them in the head-to-head with Southern Cal.

First of all love your change of my name. Great way to start off a conversation. DO I think there is some pleading of cases when it comes to teams who have reps on the committee. Possibly. But I also think these people know they have all eyes on them and they want to do a good job because most of the group really cares about college football. I think they have a tough job and I dont envy them at all.

As for Clemson having two reps. I assume you mean Bobby Johnson. Yea he played for Clemson in the late 60s and early 70s but he has been with Furman or Vanderbilt for most of his career and outside of one year at Clemson as a coach hasnt spent much time at Clemson. I would be willing to bet hes probably more neutral than some on the committee based off his mix of SEC ties and ACC ties. Not really sure how thats a fraud considering Clemson didnt choose the committee.

Reactions: FJRTiger

What do you have against people from Poland?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT