ADVERTISEMENT

If Napier and Beamer are our 1 and 2 picks, why bother firing CWM midseason?

slufstuff

Aug 12, 2001
Maybe I am missing something, but what advantage was it firing Muschamp mid season? It seems like if we wanted Napier or Beamer, waiting to the end of the year would have been no issue, especially in this screwed up covid season. Plus we could have saved a couple million on the buyout. Was this another RT head scratcher, or was more going on behind the scene?

You're less encumbered in your coaching search when the position is open. Plus, we're at least getting media buzz as the only vacant P5 job.

Reactions: lakemurraycock1
I think that was to quell the masses. I mean how many threads were calling for him to be fired ala Kiffen style since the loss to A&M?

The fan base was rabid and understandably so. Had Tanner had more money in the bank with the job he has done in the past, i think he could have come out and said that there will be no in season changes, but like every year, we will evaluate the program and its direction at the conclusion of the regular season.

The reality is that he doesn't. Most people want him gone just as bad as Will. So he needed to do something to quiet the fervor. It isn't like it really sets them back if people will just be patient with the process. It is going to take time for this to work it self out.

Also can you imagine if he still was the coach how the fans would be at the game. The sense of gloom would be unbelievable from people not knowing if he was going to be fired or not. This at least gives us hope for the future and free rein to perform our search.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Maybe I am missing something, but what advantage was it firing Muschamp mid season? It seems like if we wanted Napier or Beamer, waiting to the end of the year would have been no issue, especially in this screwed up covid season. Plus we could have saved a couple million on the buyout. Was this another RT head scratcher, or was more going on behind the scene?
He was fired so we could get a look at Doty.

I understand the emotions involved, but I am thinking from a business sense, it might have been worth waiting to fire him later, save a couple million to put towards a new staff. Remember, before we fired Muschamp, the thinking was there would be no P5 coaches fired due to covid. Napier or Beamer would have still been available most likely.

I understand the emotions involved, but I am thinking from a business sense, it might have been worth waiting to fire him later, save a couple million to put towards a new staff. Remember, before we fired Muschamp, the thinking was there would be no P5 coaches fired due to covid. Napier or Beamer would have still been available most likely.
Iirc we would have to wait until Jan 1st for the buyout to go down

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Iirc we would have to wait until Jan 1st for the buyout to go down
Wont we just keep him on the payroll until 12:01am Jan 1st? I mean, you wouldn't terminate his employment if it is actually cheaper to keep him on the payroll for another 7 weeks. You just dont let him anywhere near the team.

You still want to get out ahead of things. If Napier is your guy and the rumors of him wanting the SC job are true then you just showed you were serious about the change. You aren’t waiting until end for the risk someone else makes a move and you don’t have carrot already dangling.

its-what-it-is-it-happens.gif

and coaching will take of it's self.... Its all about the TALENT
...Other schools will want Napier... that's why!!!!

The buyout didn't cost the university anything. Boosters/Donors (whichever you choose to call them) paid/are paying for it.

Reactions: Tmac069
I feel pretty certain I read that the buyout went down $275k per month, so you would have had to wait until after Kentucky (since 12/1 is the Tuesday before that road game) just to save $275k that might get negotiated down a little anyway.

So for that you get a head start on the search, get a look at Bobo (and Doty as it turns out), and the fans get to go to Thanksgiving dinner with a shred of hope and dignity.

The reason
[/QU

The reason you move on mid season is for recruiting purposes mostly and you jump out to a head start over other schools who are waiting on the season to end. You wait and now the coach you may have wanted is now comitted to coach elsewhere

There is usually little benefit to firing mid season... I think this situation simply became so desperate they had to give the fans a reason to find hope. Once we gave up 150+ points over 3 games, people felt he had lost the team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT