ADVERTISEMENT

If Spurrier, Holtz, Morrison, and Carlen are considered to be amongst the best coaches in Gamecock history

Brad Scott, Richard Bell, Sparky Woods and Will Muschamp
Ole Willie is in some bad company. A high school coach would have done a better job than Willie. What does he care? Tks to Raymond he's a multi-millionaire and won't ever have to work again.
Wonder if Raymond would hire me?

I probably wouldnt have lumped Sparky in with the rest of those but that's just me. I liked him and thought pretty highly of him. Even sided with him over that revolt crap. That said he wasnt the guy to enter the SEC with. That became pretty clear just prior to joining. Hard to knock him on that tho being he wasnt hired for it.

I probably wouldnt have lumped Sparky in with the rest of those but that's just me. I liked him and thought pretty highly of him. Even sided with him over that revolt crap. That said he wasnt the guy to enter the SEC with. That became pretty clear just prior to joining. Hard to knock him on that tho being he wasnt hired for it.

Agreed. All things considered, Sparky wasn't a disaster. He won some SEC games with an App St transfer at QB (Fuller), which was no small feat.

He also went into PA and recruited Tanneyhill to come play for us...was a big deal at the time, and turned out well.

Sparky also has his hands tied by extenuating circumstances...he wasn't hired until February, and then once he eventually had a grip on things had the pleasure of ushering us into the SEC. Very tough situation...I'm glad he was willing to give it a whirl.

Agreed. All things considered, Sparky wasn't a disaster. He won some SEC games with an App St transfer at QB (Fuller), which was no small feat.

He also went into PA and recruited Tanneyhill to come play for us...was a big deal at the time, and turned out well.

Sparky also has his hands tied by extenuating circumstances...he wasn't hired until February, and then once he eventually had a grip on things had the pleasure of ushering us into the SEC. Very tough situation...I'm glad he was willing to give it a whirl.

Bobby Fuller never played an SEC snap. Take a lap.

Brad and Boom tie for suck . Say what you want about Spurrier , he left some nice building blocks , especially on defense . We were a few years removed from being a top 5 team . Muschamp took over a ship that had a few leaks in it and he blew a hole in the hull . The fact that he did this to two teams in the same division and fleeced them for 20 million might make him the worst coach but best businessman is SEC history

Brad and Boom tie for suck . Say what you want about Spurrier , he left some nice building blocks , especially on defense . We were a few years removed from being a top 5 team . Muschamp took over a ship that had a few leaks in it and he blew a hole in the hull . The fact that he did this to two teams in the same division and fleeced them for 20 million might make him the worst coach but best businessman is SEC history

Up until about the past year and a half, Will Muschamp could sell ice to Eskimos. But the spell eventually wore off.

Sparky does not belong on that list.

Richard Bell was a stop gap. I felt bad for his daughter that year. Grew up in the same neighborhood in Irmo. Our freshman fall was her dad’s one year. She was a sweet girl and that year was not very good. After the Furman game it must have been tough to go into Gambrell for classes. If I remember correctly he went to Gawgah.

Bobby Fuller never played an SEC snap. Take a lap.
I remember wishing Fuller had been eligible after Ellis’ knee injury. We would have beaten NC State that day, finished 7-3-1 and maybe received a bowl offer that admin wouldn’t turn down. (I always felt Sparky got the shaft from admin in turning down bowl invites following the 89 and 90 seasons. That was back in the days when we still hadn’t won a bowl game)

Paul Dietzel should be listed among the best. He had won a national championship at LSU before coming to Columbia.
Richard Bell was not a bad coach at all. He was fired because he refused to fire his staff.

Paul Dietzel should be listed among the best. He had won a national championship at LSU before coming to Columbia.
Richard Bell was not a bad coach at all. He was fired because he refused to fire his staff.
Bell lost to Furman if I recall correctly. And maybe Pacific too??

Sparky does not belong on that list.

Richard Bell was a stop gap. I felt bad for his daughter that year. Grew up in the same neighborhood in Irmo. Our freshman fall was her dad’s one year. She was a sweet girl and that year was not very good. After the Furman game it must have been tough to go into Gambrell for classes. If I remember correctly he went to Gawgah.
Why not? He was HC during my high school years and it was miserable to be Gamecock fan then. Even though we FINALLY beat Clemson again my senior year, we still had to suffer through that disastrous 0-5 start. It took the player revolt to get Sparky to finally start Tanneyhill and make us competitive.

Muschamp had the same business acumen as Charlie Weis.

USCALUMNI

Brad Scott and Will Muschamp are the two worst coaches as SC in the modern era. Sparky falls somewhere around Dietzel as a coach. Richard Bell never had a chance. He was a stopgap between Carlen and Morrison.

If you go back before Dietzel there were a few decent coaches. Warren Giese had some good years as did Rex Enright. Billy Laval had a couple of good years. But none of them had more than 7 wins.

There were way too many 1 and 2 win seasons in our history.

Agreed. And unlike the rest of our coaches Sparky actually went on to be successful at other schools albeit FCS teams.

I remember wishing Fuller had been eligible after Ellis’ knee injury. We would have beaten NC State that day, finished 7-3-1 and maybe received a bowl offer that admin wouldn’t turn down. (I always felt Sparky got the shaft from admin in turning down bowl invites following the 89 and 90 seasons. That was back in the days when we still hadn’t won a bowl game)
That was King Dixon's decision and those declination decisions doomed Sparky. Dixon was an "empty suit"....

That was King Dixon's decision and those declination decisions doomed Sparky. Dixon was an "empty suit"....
Yep, those were the years that clearly showed that USC wasn’t serious about athletics.
I was a freshman Sparkys first year at USC. Iremember that many of us thought Sparky’s loyalty to some assistants further cemented his doom. Art Wilkins, somehow, remained Off. Coordinator during Sparkys 5 years in Columbia.

The untimely death of Joe Morrison was a major setback for South Carolina. I truly believe he would have gone down in history as the greatest Gamecock coach still to this day. He just had that " IT " factor.
I agree Morrison had that "it" factor. But had he survived, we were probably headed for major NCAA sanctions. It's been widely accepted that they took it easy on us after JoMo died.

Fuller was a solid performer at QB.

Bell lost to Furman if I recall correctly. And maybe Pacific too??
He did lose to Furman, not sure about Pacific. He was fired the season he was hired.
Hard to list someone amongst the best when he had a 42-53-1 record while at South Carolina
He won a conference championship one year, and he inherited years of very unsuccessful teams. I was disappointed in his won/loss record though. I think he went 0-10 his first year.

I am going with Douglas McKay as the best coach in the history of SC football. I dare anyone to try to dispute this...

Yes I will dispute, while yes he was indefeated, 3-0, he did not play anyone of note and only 3 game season. How many times have we started 3-0? Many times. He beat Citadel, Charleston and Georgia College (Not UGA)'.

During this era Bob Williams has him beat imho

1902 Bob Williams coached the Gamecocks to a 6-1 record and a win over Clemson and John Heisman ruining their unbeaten season.
1903 Bob Williams coached the Gamecocks to a 8-2 record, and in these 8 wins were shutout wins at Georgia and vs. Tennessee.

14-3 all time with several notable victories mentioned above.

Reactions: uscedge21
Yes I will dispute, while yes he was indefeated, 3-0, he did not play anyone of note and only 3 game season. How many times have we started 3-0? Many times. He beat Citadel, Charleston and Georgia College (Not UGA)'.

During this era Bob Williams has him beat imho

1902 Bob Williams coached the Gamecocks to a 6-1 record and a win over Clemson and John Heisman ruining their unbeaten season.
1903 Bob Williams coached the Gamecocks to a 8-2 record, and in these 8 wins were shutout wins at Georgia and vs. Tennessee.

14-3 all time with several notable victories mentioned above.
My post was just my weird sense of humor along with boredom kicking in. I am guessing you are bored too. But....he was the only coach with a 1000% winning record. A record that will never be broken.

Going to play golf now!!!

Reactions: Gradstudent
My post was just my weird sense of humor along with boredom kicking in

Same with me, I was not seriously arguing about a dude in 1903 vs 1907 or whatever :p

But my dude did beat a undefeated Clemson team, HAHAHA and later coached for them before running them into the ground turning them into 0-5 in 1926 and getting fired

This Bob Williams guy is my kind of guy!

Reactions: uscedge21
And some fans have already added Beamer to the list.
Beamer's a bad hire from the perspective of qualifications. We'll see if he joins the list of terrible coaches. I doubt it, honestly, and I certainly hope not. But one thing that never stops marching is time. We will see.

ADVERTISEMENT