ADVERTISEMENT

If Stars matter, this years team should be pretty good or

they can't coach'm up.... Roster shows 24 - 4 stars and 3 - 5 stars

Sadly, those starts aren't going to see more than 4 wins this year. (Vandy, Ole Miss, Mizzou, either Kentucky/Tennessee). I hope that I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening... IMO We are still playing catch-up to the tops in the SEC in talent overall team wise. We have some solid guys on the roster, just not sure the depth is there (especially at WR) to be successful this year. Honestly, COVID is the best thing that happened to Will Muschamp and staff. It bought him two more years of grace, especially not having to play Clemson and make it seven in a row.... IMO.

There is one problem with OP’s analysis.....if you compare SC’s number of 4 and 5 star players against many/most of our SEC brethren, we don’t look formidable. Heck, coming in 8-10 every year in SEC recruiting rankings doesn’t give you an advantage in talent over many programs. The few programs we seem to outrecruit in those rankings include KY and Mizzou, but tbh when we play them lately I don’t see any significant talent gap between SC and them. After Vandy and Ark, you are hard pressed to find another SEC program where the Gamecocks can claim a significant if any talent advantage. That’s just the truth. If we played Ole Miss or Miss St on a neutral field it’s likely a toss up game tbh. Bama, Aub, LSU, aTm, UGA, UF, and even UT are all significantly more stacked in talent. We play 5 top ten teams this year.....

There is one problem with OP’s analysis.....if you compare SC’s number of 4 and 5 star players against many/most of our SEC brethren, we don’t look formidable. Heck, coming in 8-10 every year in SEC recruiting rankings doesn’t give you an advantage in talent over many programs. The few programs we seem to outrecruit in those rankings include KY and Mizzou, but tbh when we play them lately I don’t see any significant talent gap between SC and them. After Vandy and Ark, you are hard pressed to find another SEC program where the Gamecocks can claim a significant if any talent advantage. That’s just the truth. If we played Ole Miss or Miss St on a neutral field it’s likely a toss up game tbh. Bama, Aub, LSU, aTm, UGA, UF, and even UT are all significantly more stacked in talent. We play 5 top ten teams this year.....
Exactly, we play in the SEC. We don't recruit in the top half of our Conference. Top 25 classes aren't that impressive when 7 teams in your Conference finishes ahead of you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT