ADVERTISEMENT

If Texas & OU join, would not be suprised to see TX A&M & Mizzou to the ACC...

I agree so far that no one will leave, just creating a what if....

Scanning the UNC boards....they are somewhat up in arms about this...

I know previous posters have said UNC belongs to the system, BUT, the folks on their board are talking of UNC and UVA bolting to the B10. (possibly adding Clemson and Duke in that mix too)...

Think if that we're to happen, NCSU and VaTech would be left out in the cold.

Reactions: vehemon
I agree so far that no one will leave, just creating a what if....

Scanning the UNC boards....they are somewhat up in arms about this...

I know previous posters have said UNC belongs to the system, BUT, the folks on their board are talking of UNC and UVA bolting to the B10. (possibly adding Clemson and Duke in that mix too)...

Think if that we're to happen, NCSU and VaTech would be left out in the cold.
Clemson would not be allowed into the Big Ten based on their current requirements.

So the 14 SEC teams are worth $770 Million (this includes Bama, UGA, Florida, LSU, etc.) but with Texas and Oklahoma we are worth nearly $1.3 Billion? How are two teams worth 3/4s of the entire current SEC? The SEC has won 11 National Championships since the last time either Oklahoma or Texas last won one.

Fan bases. That would only make up about 40%, which is on par with the state population percentages.

The Texas fan base is bigger than the total of any 5 current SEC members except A&M.

Reactions: king ward
On the theory of geography, it probably would have been better to plan the conference expansion years ago to actually combine the SEC and ACC of the 1970's. That would have been the best situation geographically as well as competitively. Personally, I would have loved those rivalries. Sometimes I still can't get excited about playing Arkansas and Missouri and would rather be playing UNC and NC State. But I suppose the thinking is vastly different these days.

On the theory of geography, it probably would have been better to plan the conference expansion years ago to actually combine the SEC and ACC of the 1970's. That would have been the best situation geographically as well as competitively. Personally, I would have loved those rivalries. Sometimes I still can't get excited about playing Arkansas and Missouri and would rather be playing UNC and NC State. But I suppose the thinking is vastly different these days.
I think back in the day; grudges, jealousy, envy, etc. kept good judgement out of the equation. In todays terms, it's all about $$$$, positioning, tv rights, and good ole common sense.

The ACC to me is still some what antiquated in their thinking. John Swofford can be blamed for that. The forward thinking SEC moved back in the 90's to add us and Arky, then A&M and Mizzou later. It left the ACC scrambling for schools not necessarily great for the ACC (BC, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt).

Imagine had the ACC offered us, kept Maryland, and offered WVU and possibly Penn State at the time....The ACC only reacts after the SEC leads the way...

I think back in the day; grudges, jealousy, envy, etc. kept good judgement out of the equation. In todays terms, it's all about $$$$, positioning, tv rights, and good ole common sense.

The ACC to me is still some what antiquated in their thinking. John Swofford can be blamed for that. The forward thinking SEC moved back in the 90's to add us and Arky, then A&M and Mizzou later. It left the ACC scrambling for schools not necessarily great for the ACC (BC, Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt).

Imagine had the ACC offered us, kept Maryland, and offered WVU and possibly Penn State at the time....The ACC only reacts after the SEC leads the way...
Yeah, the ACC could have pretty easily had us and PSU prior to 1990...and as a result probably would've held on to Maryland.

If Texas and OU join, do you think it's possible for A&M and Mizzou move over to the ACC.

I am not a fan of Texas joining the SEC. Our loyalties should be with A&M since they came over wanting to be the only school in the SEC from Texas. Where ever Texas goes/has been, there's always been problems (just ask the aggie fans).

IMO I still think the better move is to try to convince NCSU and VT to come over to the SEC.

I know the minority here wants us to go back into the ACC. I am for that too. But UNC is much like Texas (in the BIG12) , they've taken over and controlled the ACC. I think, I'd rather see Texas in the ACC so they can bitch slap UNC around.

Course the ACC is so watered down with the private schools that aren't very good in football, that adding a Texas or Oklahoma would automatically mean, Clemson would not big the big cheese in football anymore...too bad for Dabo if this happens.

Best case in my judgement would be to tell Texas and OU no...if not A&M and Mizzou to the ACC...which might have the ACC calling us, UGA or UF...who knows?

Conference money distribution is much less, comparing ACC with SEC. It’s like a difference of 12 to 15 million. I can’t see Mizzou or A&M going anywhere.

Yahoo Sports is reporting that Texas and Oklahoma could be joining the SEC by the end of this week. WOW. If TAM and Mizzou were to bolt to the ACC, they'd better get moving. But, I believe we all know that TAM and Mizzou are staying put. Money talks and, well, ........you know the rest.

Yahoo Sports is reporting that Texas and Oklahoma could be joining the SEC by the end of this week. WOW. If TAM and Mizzou were to bolt to the ACC, they'd better get moving. But, I believe we all know that TAM and Mizzou are staying put. Money talks and, well, ........you know the rest.
Don't think it would be the ACC that TAMU may try to bolt to.

So the 14 SEC teams are worth $770 Million (this includes Bama, UGA, Florida, LSU, etc.) but with Texas and Oklahoma we are worth nearly $1.3 Billion? How are two teams worth 3/4s of the entire current SEC? The SEC has won 11 National Championships since the last time either Oklahoma or Texas last won one.
Because of their huge fan-bases - national fan-bases in both cases. They move the media needle, even if they haven't won national championships lately. Notre Dame does the same thing but few people question why. Texas in particular is a national brand, as their apparel sales will attest. We can't conceive of such impact because we have never been possessed of it in any way, shape, form, or fashion. People like us cannot apprehend people like they are.

Reactions: atl-cock
I'm trying to decide whether or not you are actually tweaking people who have raised the possibility of those schools bolting.

I'm trying to decide whether or not you are actually tweaking people who have raised the possibility of those schools bolting.
I would venture to guess that the overwhelming majority of these rumors are just made up by message board posters hoping to "put it out in the universe" thinking that somehow that would make the rumor true.

I would venture to guess that the overwhelming majority of these rumors are just made up by message board posters hoping to "put it out in the universe" thinking that somehow that would make the rumor true.
True....the three boards I've read from the B1G are all guessing.....simply because there has been no statement or obvious directions from the commissioner.

Because of their huge fan-bases - national fan-bases in both cases. They move the media needle, even if they haven't won national championships lately. Notre Dame does the same thing but few people question why. Texas in particular is a national brand, as their apparel sales will attest.
Norte Dame finished in the top two of most viewed games last season. The big twelve did not even make the top ten. This may be one factor that is driving Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC and the SEC having an interest in those two schools. This data below is for the regular season.

TOP 10 MOST-WATCHED COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAMES (2020)​

1. Nov. 7: Clemson vs. Notre Dame (NBC): 10.1 million
2. Dec. 19: Notre Dame vs. Clemson (ABC): 9.9 million
3. Oct. 17: Georgia vs. Alabama (CBS): 9.6 million
4. Dec. 19: Alabama vs. Florida (CBS): 8.9 million
5. Dec. 19: Ohio State vs. Northwestern (FOX): 8.0 million
6. Nov. 28: Alabama vs. Auburn (CBS): 6.7 million
7. Oct. 31: Ohio State vs. Penn State (ABC): 6.5 million
8. Nov. 7: Florida vs. Georgia (CBS): 6.3 million
9. Oct. 24: Nebraska vs. Ohio State (FOX): 6.2 million
10. Nov. 21: Indiana vs. Ohio State (FOX): 6.1 million

TOP 10 MOST-WATCHED COLLEGE FOOTBALL GAMES (2019)​

1. Nov. 9: LSU vs. Alabama (CBS): 16.6 million
2. Dec. 7: LSU vs. Georgia (CBS): 13.7 million
3. Dec. 7: Ohio State vs. Wisconsin (FOX): 13.6 million
4. Nov. 30: Ohio State vs. Michigan (FOX): 12.4 million
5. Nov. 30: Alabama vs. Auburn (CBS): 11.4 million
6. Nov. 23: Penn State vs. Ohio State (FOX): 9.4 million
7. Sept. 21: Notre Dame vs. Georgia (CBS): 9.3 million
8. Dec. 7: Oklahoma vs. Baylor (ESPN): 8.7 million
9. Sept. 9: LSU vs. Texas (ABC): 8.6 million
10: Oct. 12: Oklahoma vs. Texas (FOX): 7.3 million

Last edited:
No, not at all. My thinking is those who have raised that think it's a real possibility. I do agree with rogue cock that the Big 10 would be a more realistic destination if they were to leave. But, even there, I think it's very unlikely, especially for Texas A&M. Nothing else to really talk about for several more weeks. Sure as hell beats talking about politics.

Last edited:
Reactions: king ward
Norte Dame finished in the top two of most viewed games last season. The big twelve did not even make the top ten. This may be one factor that is driving Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC and the SEC having an interest in those two schools. This data below is for the regular season.

Considering the unusual circumstances of last year, a more accurate snapshot might be the last 5 years

No, not at all. My thinking is those who have raised that think it's a real possibility. I do agree with rogue cock that the Big 10 would be a more realistic destination if they were to leave. But, even there, I think it's very unlikely, especially for Texas A&M. Nothing else to really talk about for several more weeks. Sure as hell beats talking about politics.
I feel certain they are here to say. Thanks for clarifying. You lose the inflections with the written word that are easily discernible with the spoken word.

Reactions: gamecock stock

For 2019:

1. Nov. 9: LSU vs. Alabama (CBS): 16.6 million
2. Dec. 7: LSU vs. Georgia (CBS): 13.7 million
3. Dec. 7: Ohio State vs. Wisconsin (FOX): 13.6 million
4. Nov. 30: Ohio State vs. Michigan (FOX): 12.4 million
5. Nov. 30: Alabama vs. Auburn (CBS): 11.4 million
6. Nov. 23: Penn State vs. Ohio State (FOX): 9.4 million
7. Sept. 21: Notre Dame vs. Georgia (CBS): 9.3 million
8. Dec. 7: Oklahoma vs. Baylor (ESPN): 8.7 million
9. Sept. 9: LSU vs. Texas (ABC): 8.6 million
10: Oct. 12: Oklahoma vs. Texas (FOX): 7.3 million

Reactions: FCB 2013 treble
Considering the unusual circumstances of last year, a more accurate snapshot might be the last 5 years
I put up the previous year data as well. What I do not understand is why viewers is less in 2020 than 2019. With stadium capacity having restrictions, I thought there would be more viewers for television in 2020.

It is estimated that Texas and OU to the SEC will raise SEC payouts from $55 million/team to $75-$80 million/team. Does anyone seriously believe any current SEC school would leave? Less attractive marriages survive for a lot less. No school, NONE, are leaving the SEC unless they have morons running the school.
$135 million in additional revenue would be required for that to occur. Otherwise, the payouts remain flat with where they are now.

I put up the previous year data as well. What I do not understand is why viewers is less in 2020 than 2019. With stadium capacity having restrictions, I thought there would be more viewers for television in 2020.
It was a hard watch in 2020 when stadiums had many empty seats and production with piped in crowd noise.

And, they have to forfeit all Primary and Secondary TV rights as well. The financial aspect would be too much to bear. The talk of an ACC school leaving for anywhere just seems like a lot of message board talk.
This is what Texas and OU face leaving the Big XII. The BigXII owns their media rights till 2025. They'd get every penny those school receive media for four years.

It is estimated that Texas and OU to the SEC will raise SEC payouts from $55 million/team to $75-$80 million/team. Does anyone seriously believe any current SEC school would leave? Less attractive marriages survive for a lot less. No school, NONE, are leaving the SEC unless they have morons running the school.
This.

I know some of you want to get rid of Mizzou, but we aren't going anywhere. Not even if the B1G comes hat in hand with an offer. The SEC has been a great opportunity for us. I could see our programs getting worse if we go to the B1G - especially in football.

As far as UT goes, the problem everyone in the Big XII had with UT is that they were greedy and demanding bastards. They knew that the conference needed them and they built uneven revenue models to give themselves an even greater advantage over the "have nots" of their conference. The Longhorn Network is the most egregious example, but there were others. That won't play in the SEC. If Texas threatens to leave the Big XII, the rest of the league offers whatever they can to make them stay. If Texas threatens to leave the SEC at some point in time in the future, the SEC will call their obvious bluff.

With A&M being a southern school, geography would get in the way...

Hopefully the conference will be loyal to A&M...I would hate to lose them over Texas.
It would be hard to leave because of the $.
I still think you might see two teams from the ACC surprise us and find a way to join the SEC.

All this 'conference merger' talk. I'm betting that the ACC and B1G work out a deal to remain separate but find some working agreement that has them play more out of conference games against each other and possibly pressure Notre Dame to finally pick a conference to be officially apart of.

This.

I know some of you want to get rid of Mizzou, but we aren't going anywhere. Not even if the B1G comes hat in hand with an offer. The SEC has been a great opportunity for us. I could see our programs getting worse if we go to the B1G - especially in football.

As far as UT goes, the problem everyone in the Big XII had with UT is that they were greedy and demanding bastards. They knew that the conference needed them and they built uneven revenue models to give themselves an even greater advantage over the "have nots" of their conference. The Longhorn Network is the most egregious example, but there were others. That won't play in the SEC. If Texas threatens to leave the Big XII, the rest of the league offers whatever they can to make them stay. If Texas threatens to leave the SEC at some point in time in the future, the SEC will call their obvious bluff.
The only people looking to get Missouri out of the SEC are simply trying to troll.
With all the movement going on; we might finally have some games that are 'geographically correct'.

As for Texas' ego; I hope you are right. I remember talking with a bunch of Texas and A&M fans when A&M decided to leave. I enjoyed pointing out the shear arrogance coming from Texas' fans. I appreciate a good clean 'hate' against your rivals. I've got a lot of Clempson friends here in Charlotte that I love talking trash to but we still keep it at a respectful level.

The things they said at the time and how Texas as a program has fallen off the map must have been sweet with Texas A&M rise in the SEC.... i've really enjoyed getting to know a few Texas A&M fans since then.

I find this ironic when one considers that the SEC broke off from the SoCon in 1933. Many of the remaining SoCon members broke off from the SoCon themselves 20 years later to form the ACC. Rejoining everyone, to put it simply.

Geographic proximity still has meaning for some of us.

This.

other than you guys have been a thorn in our side im not sure why some on here want yall out.

I agree with this, and remember that some version of that was discussed, although maybe only by people like us. I mean, look at the discussions we've been having the past few days. Every scenario imaginable has been mentioned.

But the thing with this is that a monumental opportunity was dumped in the SEC's lap months ago by the petitioners, and by the time any of us knew about it, the deal was a fait accompli.

It's been humorous to watch people on sports boards and social media try to suggest alterations and otherwise refashion this deal as though something was going to change, as though they had a voice in it. This thing was set in stone by the time we heard about it.

The only question now is do these two schools wait out their media rights obligations, as they profess they are going to do, or do they raise the money and leave early? Neither would surprise me. Of course, if the Big 12 goes ahead and implodes - as it might - then Texas and OU wouldn't even owe the money or have to wait. I'm sure that's what they are hoping for.

This.

The Big XII, IMO, would have been better off had UT left. Then they would have been able to get a Big XII Network going, and would have provided more equality among all conference members.

Let Texas and Notre Dame form their own conference <HEE HEE>.

Like USC and our geographic and historical ties to the ACC, Mizzou has that with the Big XII, Big 8, and Big 7 (before Oklahoma A&M (now State) joined). But the opportunities the SEC gives to each school far outweighs those old conference ties.

If the bully in Austin either wasn't a bully or had left, the four former Big XII members would have stayed, IMO. It's one thing for Mizzou to remain in the league. It's another to come back.

MUTiger91, back in 2005 when the ACC essentially poached the Big East, word on the street was that the ACC informally asked USC officials if there was any interest in coming back (USC was a charter member of the ACC and left in 1971). Obviously , the answer was no.

My take on it is that I would have told the officials "I wished we had had these discussions 20-30 years ago," i.e., any time between 1975 and 1985. We would have gone back in a heartbeat.

USC returning to the ACC is as foolish as our leaving the league to begin with. Mizzou's situation is slightly different, but your Columbia would be foolish to go back.

The only people looking to get Missouri out of the SEC are simply trying to troll.
With all the movement going on; we might finally have some games that are 'geographically correct'.

As for Texas' ego; I hope you are right. I remember talking with a bunch of Texas and A&M fans when A&M decided to leave. I enjoyed pointing out the shear arrogance coming from Texas' fans. I appreciate a good clean 'hate' against your rivals. I've got a lot of Clempson friends here in Charlotte that I love talking trash to but we still keep it at a respectful level.

The things they said at the time and how Texas as a program has fallen off the map must have been sweet with Texas A&M rise in the SEC.... i've really enjoyed getting to know a few Texas A&M fans since then.
Oh, Texas is extremely arrogant. In no way do I think a new conference cures that. But right now Texas needs the SEC more than the SEC needs Texas.
1) A&M has more recruiting swagger than UT does and I'm sure that kills them.
2) They found out that they weren't going to get the TV extension that they wanted.

That means that they have to go somewhere and the best fit is the SEC. But being an 800 lb gorilla doesn't mean much when there are 6-7 similarly sized gorillas in the room.

The Big XII, IMO, would have been better off had UT left. Then they would have been able to get a Big XII Network going, and would have provided more equality among all conference members.

Let Texas and Notre Dame form their own conference <HEE HEE>.

Like USC and our geographic and historical ties to the ACC, Mizzou has that with the Big XII, Big 8, and Big 7 (before Oklahoma A&M (now State) joined). But the opportunities the SEC gives to each school far outweighs those old conference ties.

If the bully in Austin either wasn't a bully or had left, the four former Big XII members would have stayed, IMO. It's one thing for Mizzou to remain in the league. It's another to come back.

MUTiger91, back in 2005 when the ACC essentially poached the Big East, word on the street was that the ACC informally asked USC officials if there was any interest in coming back (USC was a charter member of the ACC and left in 1971). Obviously , the answer was no.

My take on it is that I would have told the officials "I wished we had had these discussions 20-30 years ago," i.e., any time between 1975 and 1985. We would have gone back in a heartbeat.

USC returning to the ACC is as foolish as our leaving the league to begin with. Mizzou's situation is slightly different, but your Columbia would be foolish to go back.
If I remember correctly, Clemson was supposed to leave too and then didn't. I agree that there is no looking back. kansas ended a 100+ year continuous rivalry with us (only game not played was during 1918 pandemic). People get upset in divorces.

I hate Texas for the Longhorn Network and unfair revenue models. I hate the long Oklahoma tradition of cheating that started in the 1800s and is memorialized by their team name. But ultimately, this is a business decision and it would be foolish for Mizzou to say anything about this other than "Welcome!" I look forward to competing against them on a more level playing field.

If I remember correctly, Clemson was supposed to leave too and then didn't. I agree that there is no looking back. kansas ended a 100+ year continuous rivalry with us (only game not played was during 1918 pandemic). People get upset in divorces.

I hate Texas for the Longhorn Network and unfair revenue models. I hate the long Oklahoma tradition of cheating that started in the 1800s and is memorialized by their team name. But ultimately, this is a business decision and it would be foolish for Mizzou to say anything about this other than "Welcome!" I look forward to competing against them on a more level playing field.
I think that's the same boat as Texas A&M and how it's a bitter taste about this deal.

Luckly Texas is a HUGE foot print and hopefully won't slow down the gains they've made since joining.

I only hope that this 'Gentlemen's Agreement' everyone likes to talk about doesn't come back to bite South Carolina, Georgia or Florida. Texas has a lot more room to divide up compared to other scenarios.

What would Florida do if all of a sudden Miami and FSU were going to join the SEC?

What would Georgia and South Carolina do if Clempson and FSU were going to join the SEC?

Lots of people having trouble with jobs and cutting out expensive cable packages?
It's easy for me to say this with the Gamecocks seemly falling apart in all 3 major sports; I haven't made it a priority to make sure I can watch every game the last year or so.

With how politicized everyone is getting and how PC everyone is trying to make everything... I've gotten to catchup on a lot of non-sport things the past year like build a huge playhouse for my daughter, do some more hiking/travelling outdoors, and focus on doing things with the family.

Lots of people having trouble with jobs and cutting out expensive cable packages?
It's easy for me to say this with the Gamecocks seemly falling apart in all 3 major sports; I haven't made it a priority to make sure I can watch every game the last year or so.

With how politicized everyone is getting and how PC everyone is trying to make everything... I've gotten to catchup on a lot of non-sport things the past year like build a huge playhouse for my daughter, do some more hiking/travelling outdoors, and focus on doing things with the family.
That actually did come to mind when thinking about it.

That actually did come to mind when thinking about it.
I gave up on YoutubeTV last summer because of their increase to $65. It makes no sense to me to pay all that when I only watch some of these channels a few weeks time a week.

I would be perfectly fine paying for ESPN only for something like $20...
Looks like I'm going to have to get SlingTV or Hulu for this season. Will be a good reason to cutoff Netflix for 5-6 months...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT