ADVERTISEMENT

If there was one loss, in any sport, that you could change into a win,

The loss to Arizona in the 2012 baseball finals

The intro after commercials that year was Linkin Parks “Burn it down”.
For those who don’t know the lyrics are “Were building it up, to break it back down. We’re building it up, to burn it down. We can’t wait, to burn it to the ground.”
Kind of fitting since we pretty much burned football and baseball back to the ground then.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
The Gonzaga Final Four loss is a good candidate. Probably the best one. I’d say beating Texas over Arizona in CWS, though a 3-peat would be special.

But one I’ll throw out there and say is the SEC Championship Game against Auburn. These other football options would've given us a shot to play for a title. Beating Auburn would’ve won us an SEC Title, which I’m not sure I’ll ever see us do. It’s not our best team and we might have done something even greater one of those other years. But it would be cool if we had an SEC Champions sign in William-Brice Stadium.

all mentioned are good options. Especially that Gonzaga one.

The Gonzaga Final Four loss is a good candidate. Probably the best one. I’d say beating Texas over Arizona in CWS, though a 3-peat would be special.

But one I’ll throw out there and say is the SEC Championship Game against Auburn. These other football options would've given us a shot to play for a title. Beating Auburn would’ve won us an SEC Title, which I’m not sure I’ll ever see us do. It’s not our best team and we might have done something even greater one of those other years. But it would be cool if we had an SEC Champions sign in William-Brice Stadium.

all mentioned are good options. Especially that Gonzaga one.

beating Auburn there would’ve been the most powerful one for sure. That win would have staying power! I often wonder had Auburn not connected on that bomb right before the half how it could have affected the game. And our psyche. When they did that it essentially ended it.

Clempzon 1980. This changed the trajectory for Clempzon more than any other game. I was sitting on the Hill talking smack. Danny Ford may not have survived the loss and Clempzon probably doesn't win the MNC the next year. Still pissed at Garry Harper for throwing to Willie Underwood......twice.

2nd place....the catch game in 1976. Outside of Navy, most painful loss....ugh....Jerry Butler.

3rd place....Clempzon 2008. Win that and the interim cheerleader coach goes back to selling insurance.

My first thought was the 2013 Tennessee game, because if we win that we play in the SEC championship game. Win that and we play FSU for the national title. But thinking about it, it has to be Navy. Win that, we're in the Orange Bowl playing for the national title, and I just don't think that '84 team would lose that game. I know we lost to OK State in the Gator, but I just think the team was let down after what could have been.

3rd place....Clempzon 2008. Win that and the interim cheerleader coach goes back to selling insurance.

I’m sitting here after dinner and for some reason I start thinking about this question. From a rivalry perspective, I think this has to be #1. What’s happening right now has cast a dark cloud over Gamecock Football for the past 5 years and may last for a long time. Hard to believe it as we beat him 5 in a row and looked like we had the upper hand. But I’d definitely go back and change this.

Who would Clemson have hired? Wasn’t Will Muschamp at the top of the wish list?

1981 football vs clemson

Win that game & they don’t “win” the championship, regardless of how they do in their bowl game.

I got an out of the box game . The LSU game in Baton Rouge the week after we beat UGA at home on ESPN . I can’t remember the year exactly but that game was an absolute war and LSU just outgrinded us . That win after crushing a top 5 UGA the week before would have been enormous . If I’m not mistaken we had to go to UF the next week and we were so physically beat up from that LSU game that UF destroyed us . I think if we won that LSU game we had a great shot at running the table even with Marcus injury .

1. 1984 Navy—Football title shot. Changes perception of the program when you play for a title
2. Gonzaga Final 4 game—same thing and we would’ve had a Carolina matchup in the finals
3. Texas loss in Omaha—Long ass drive for one baseball game and longer return trip.
4. Any loss to Clemsux
5. Auburn 2011–back to back SEC title game appearances would’ve been huge.

I know that’s more than one but I was on a roll.

I got an out of the box game . The LSU game in Baton Rouge the week after we beat UGA at home on ESPN . I can’t remember the year exactly but that game was an absolute war and LSU just outgrinded us . That win after crushing a top 5 UGA the week before would have been enormous . If I’m not mistaken we had to go to UF the next week and we were so physically beat up from that LSU game that UF destroyed us . I think if we won that LSU game we had a great shot at running the table even with Marcus injury .

Best team in school history. Had Ellis Johnson stayed as DC & not left prior to the previous year’s bowl game, that team would have had a very real shot to win the whole shebang.

I want to take back the Clemson brawl game.

‘83 or ‘04?

Best team in school history. Had Ellis Johnson stayed as DC & not left prior to the previous year’s bowl game, that team would have had a very real shot to win the whole shebang.

‘83 or ‘04?

Yeap Im convinced that if we won that game in Baton Rouge we could have run the table at least to the SEC championship . Then who knows . It was a really close game but LSU just all physical us . If I remember correctly Jeremy Hill just ran wild on us . If we would have won a night game in Baton Rouge a week after knocking off a #2 UGA team who knows where the momentum would have taken us .

No brainer.. the Auburn loss in the SEC Championship game. I could say before I die we won a Championship in Football in my lifetime.

So many heartbreaking, mind-bending losses to choose from...so, I'm going to twist it around a little bit.

There's a game we won in lopsided fashion, but should have won by even more: the 2010 clemson game. We won it 29-7, shut them out after the 1st quarter, but easily could have won 49-7. Spurrier called off the dogs about midway through the 3rd quarter. Had we won that game in a rout like we should have, I doubt Dabo would have survived it (the natives in Pickens were getting restless after stumbling to a 6-6 record).

“If there was one loss, in any sport, that you could change into a win, what would be?”

The next one

1986 NCSU game. The officials were determined not to let South Carolina win that game. I think with official replay and coaches challenging calls. what happened on that day would not be possible now.

The loss to Nebraska in 1986. The tie against clemson in 1986.

The loss to Georgia Tech in 1988.

2013 Tennessee. I still say that was our strongest team ever. Losing to an unranked Tennessee team who finished 5-7 on the year was brutal. And watching Marcus get injured again really brings a whole new meaning to the saying 'adding insult to injury.'

Beat Tennessee, finish 11-1 and win the SEC East. Play Auburn in the SEC championship game. A rematch of the 2010 SEC Championship game. And then who knows, we may have won. Win that, and we're playing Florida St for the National Championship. A rematch of the 2010 Chick Fil-A bowl. FSU fans love to post that gif of Marcus getting knocked out. Talk about the ultimate revenge.

Ugh, I'm getting salty just thinking about what could have been if it wasn't for that 2-point loss to Tennessee.

My first thought was the 2013 Tennessee game, because if we win that we play in the SEC championship game. Win that and we play FSU for the national title. But thinking about it, it has to be Navy. Win that, we're in the Orange Bowl playing for the national title, and I just don't think that '84 team would lose that game. I know we lost to OK State in the Gator, but I just think the team was let down after what could have been.
Damn'it, I just read this after I posted the same thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT