ADVERTISEMENT

If UF wins CWS is....

After watching them take UL last night, in spite of 2 absolute boneheaded moves by O'Sullivan, I hope he's not a candidate. We shouldn't ever hire a coach who would leave a RF in the game for several innings with an injured shoulder and unable to throw 10 yards, or a coach who leaves pitchers in long after they're gassed and are lobbing grapefruits to hitters .... oh, wait, lol.

Had all his eggs in the Herman basket. You really think Muschamp was at the top of any major schools list? Now, I do think he will work out but at the time no one would touch him
But you don't know that for a fact. That's just what was repeated on message boards. Herman was never coming here to begin with.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
But you don't know that for a fact. That's just what was repeated on message boards. Herman was never coming here to begin with.

I know he had to hire some outside firm to help find a football coach. I know he interviewed Elliott lmao. We need and deserve a proven head coach

I know he had to hire some outside firm to help find a football coach. I know he interviewed Elliott lmao. We need and deserve a proven head coach
Interviewing Elliott was a formality, and is what any a.d would do. Using a search firm is also what all athletic departments have done for years.

Reactions: atl-cock
Interviewing Elliott was a formality, and is what any a.d would do. Using a search firm is also what all athletic departments have done for years.

True. But im guessing most search firms would have came up with more folks than Muschamp

What would the benefit of this be? If he does not hire someone form Omaha at this point, I would assume he was not getting the candidate he wanted

Each team in the CWS has been there multiple times, not sure about the current coaches. But if our guy is not in Omaha, I think we are sucking air. And boy do I hope I'm wrong because Carolina baseball has been a source of pride for all Gamecock fans for years.

Last edited:
Each team in the CWS has been there multiple times, not sure about the current coaches. But if our guy is not in Omaha, I think we are sucking air. And boy do I hope I'm wrong because Carolina baseball has been a source of pride for all Gamecocks fans for years.
The coaches in Omaha are not the only good coaches. I don't know why people think we have to have one of the current Omaha coaches.

Because those are the only coaches (not named Ray Tanner) who are worthy of being in our dugout, as far as they're concerned.
I would like to see the TCU coach interview but I absolutely agree there are good coaches out there for the taking not in Omaha. I personally think our next coach did not go to Omaha this year.

Because those are the only coaches (not named Ray Tanner) who are worthy of being in our dugout, as far as they're concerned.

But my point is simply this; all of the teams that made it Omaha this year have been to the CWS multiple times. In order to make it to Omaha multiple times it takes great coaches to get their teams there year after year.

And yes, you are right there are good coaches that did not make it to Omaha. But as someone else stated, "we are SC and have the best facilities and fans in the country, therefore it should not be that difficult to get a top notch coach to come to Carolina".

But my point is simply this; all of the teams that made it Omaha this year have been to the CWS multiple times. In order to make it to Omaha multiple times it takes great coaches to get their teams there year after year.

And yes, you are right there are good coaches that did not make it to Omaha. But as someone else stated, "we are SC and have the best facilities and fans in the country, therefore it should not be that difficult to get a top notch coach to come to Carolina".

Our job also comes with a lot more pressure and expectations than their current positions. That alone could turn a lot of people off.

I think the family situation would be hard to ignore. If it was me, I would be columbia bound. Let me think about it... more time with my kids and USC coach for a million or UF coach and a million. Easy

Our job also comes with a lot more pressure and expectations than their current positions. That alone could turn a lot of people off.

I agree. And when Bama finally got Nick Saban a number of coaches turned the Tide down but then Bama up the anti with an exorbitant salary.

Not to be argumentative, but if a coach can't handle the pressure, do we want him at Carolina? Because as you said there will be high expectations and a lot of pressure to win.

Bottom line is I just hope we don't have to go to our 2nd or 3rd choices or even 4th choices. We deserve better than that!

I agree. And when Bama finally got Nick Saban a number of coaches turned the Tide down but then Bama up the anti with an exorbitant salary.

Not to be argumentative, but if a coach can't handle the pressure, do we want him at Carolina? Because as you said there will be high expectations and a lot of pressure to win.

I think it's more that they don't want to have to deal with the pressure, not that they couldn't handle it. Most of the media's/fan's choices have a basically pressure free situation, making serious $$ already. Why would they give that up?

I think it's more that they don't want to have to deal with the pressure, not that they couldn't handle it. Most of the media's/fan's choices have a basically pressure free situation, making serious $$ already. Why would they give that up?
Exactly.

That's why I think the next coach will be an up and comer from a mid-major program or from a P5 school where baseball is lukewarm at best. Again, that's not "settling". Ray will hire the best that's interested and available.

Reactions: Kitchenlabs
The announcers said the the UF coach just got a 10 year contract extension and about to have a new stadium built.....coming off a Championship that sure doesn't sound like a recipe for leaving to me.

Rabid can interest us not necessarily the draw some of you think it is. We are fanatical about baseball the way almost no other fan base in the nation is and with that comes scruitiny that other fan base applies to every call and comment the coach makes! Tanner dealt with it, Hell he CREATED it, Holbrook was FIRED because of it after a run that would not have gotten him fired almost anywhere else... out fanaticism over baseball is misguided in my opinion and for many coaches may not be the bright shiny positive attribute so many seem to think it will be.

These guys are competitors, coaches.. but they are also people, and unrealistic expectations coupled with fanatic attention to every move made by a coach leads to poor JOB SECURITY for any coach who comes here. Chad is example one... Hell there were idiots on this forum bitching about TANNER before he became AD!! (Candy for example)

I think we can and will get a good coach to come but don't assume these factors people are touting will be the draw some think they are..

All the folks talking about how our fans expectations would scare off a coach, is that the same with Bama football? How do they ever hire a coach with their expectations of their football program?

The announcers said the the UF coach just got a 10 year contract extension and about to have a new stadium built.....coming off a Championship that sure doesn't sound like a recipe for leaving to me.

Not sure why they're wasting money on a new stadium their fans don't even show up for perennial winning teams, now NC, don't think a new stadium will change that. Did ya'll see the championships series the last few days? LSU fans WAY out numbered gators, you think that would have happened had it been USC there?

Not sure why they're wasting money on a new stadium their fans don't even show up for perennial winning teams, now NC, don't think a new stadium will change that. Did ya'll see the championships series the last few days? LSU fans WAY out numbered gators, you think that would have happened had it been USC there?
Actually, yes. We enjoy a great deal of the local fan support, as does LSU.

All the folks talking about how our fans expectations would scare off a coach, is that the same with Bama football? How do they ever hire a coach with their expectations of their football program?

They pay the $$$$. If we dropped enough cash we could get any coach

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT