ADVERTISEMENT

If we don't make a bowl game this year, does Spurrier retire?

sclawman77

Jun 27, 2011
I'm not saying I think it will happen or that I hope it happens. After losing to UK and with a very tough schedule ahead I just think it's a fair question to ask. I'm just curious to hear what people think.

Truly I think he was done after this year anyway.

He is 70 years old for God's sake, he needs to enjoy the rest of his life and not put himself through all this mess.

Reactions: 78 Yardcock
Yes. Orth is now the starting quarterback. The two top running backs are seniors. Adams and the left side of the O line are all seniors. Cooper is draft eligible after this season.

If Mitch and Williams had shown more promise so far this season, I might have felt differently. As it stands now, it appears the offense will be a work in progress for the next couple of seasons. Not sure SOS wants to be around for a rebuild.

It depends. If his family can get themselves set up and do it all in close proximity to the grandparents, then yes. If not, then we will continue to finance their Sunday afternoon family gatherings. Blood is thick.

Reactions: JBM123
Been saying it since the comment he made last year. This is it, regardless of the season outcome. He is walking after this year, take it to the bank. He may even announce it before the year is over and all those commitments won't mean a thing. Just like Bowden, paterno and Holtz, stayed too long.

I would say yes for sure if the team does not go bowling. Would need to contend for SEC East or better to get him to stay beyond next year I think.
I, personally, HOPE that he does think of retiring at the end of this season! He's putting Ray Tanner in a VERY difficult situation now! He's already basically turned his offense over to his son and that is NOT working as we're all witnessing (last year & this)! Certainly, he sees - and we should ALL be seeing - the handwriting on the wall! We're in for a very tough season! Is this negative? YES, it is! Is it realistic? YES, it is! Id hoped his competive juices & determination had set back after last year's disaster, but, apparently we're on the same path (losing 2 years in a row to KY and at home especially with LOUD, excited crowd like it was on Sat? - a BAD loss!) - not encouraging to say the least! I'm thinking he's already decided what he's going to do and, as I said, I hope he does the right thing and retires with grace and helps/approves who we hire as Holtz did! He doesn't care about recruiting,etc, and that's a major part of the game nowadays (and he puts his son in charge of that as well)! Anyway, bash if you like but that's my STRONG opinion! (And, also, I'm absolutely so grateful for all the wonderful things he's brought to us - wish it could've lasted much longer because it's been amazing - those 11-2 seasons are forever memorable and all the fabulous attention we've received because he's our coach - however, that is going to start turning to a negative rather than a positive before long imo - and I want him & Carolina to end on a friendly note and I think that time has come)!!

Last edited:
I'm not saying I think it will happen or that I hope it happens. After losing to UK and with a very tough schedule ahead I just think it's a fair question to ask. I'm just curious to hear what people think.

It's pathetic that we're always worried about his decision.

We employ him. I hope one day we have a coach that has to worry "If we don't make a bowl game, do I get fired?"

He is a man of his word. A few more yrs

I think he's a man of his word, but I don't think even he takes the "4 or 5 more years" thing too seriously - He says that he's always said that. What I DO think he would honor is his commitment to Mitch (that he would stay at USC for Mitch's career if he committed). I could see Mitch transferring after this season (I'm not seeing him as a quality SEC caliber QB) which would free Spurrier to head to the beach after this season. JMHO

Mentally, I think he has already retired. I really don't see the ' new dedicated to the program ' persona that he tried to sell a month ago. I honestly think he's tried to get it but it's not there. He is not a .500 coach and never will be. He will walk.....I don't blame him and we will be better off. I think 4 or 5 more .500 years with Spurrier would kill the program for a long time....I don't think he will do it !

We employ him. I hope one day we have a coach that has to worry "If we don't make a bowl game, do I get fired?"
I'm not sure everyone you think is worried really is worried. Some of them are just being polite.

Spurrier has this program as long as he wants, he will leave when he wants to, a good coach knows when to leave and how to leave the program. Does he want to have his last year a 7-6, 5-7, or a 6-6 team....NO, he wants to leave this program on a high note so whoever comes in can take over the program at a high level and continue at a high level.

I, personally, HOPE that he does think of retiring at the end of this season! He's putting Ray Tanner in a VERY difficult situation now! He's already basically turned his offense over to his son and that is NOT working as we're all witnessing (last year & this)! Certainly, he sees - and we should ALL be seeing - the handwriting on the wall! We're in for a very tough season! Is this negative? YES, it is! Is it realistic? YES, it is! Id hoped his competive juices & determination had set back after last year's disaster, but, apparently we're on the same path (losing 2 years in a row to KY and at home especially with LOUD, excited crowd like it was on Sat? - a BAD loss!) - not encouraging to say the least! I'm thinking he's already decided what he's going to do and, as I said, I hope he does the right thing and retires with grace and helps/approves who we hire as Holtz did! He doesn't care about recruiting,etc, and that's a major part of the game nowadays (and he puts his son in charge of that as well)! Anyway, bash if you like but that's my STRONG opinion! (And, also, I'm absolutely so grateful for all the wonderful things he's brought to us - wish it could've lasted much longer because it's been amazing - those 11-2 seasons are forever memorable and all the fabulous attention we've received because he's our coach - however, that is going to start turning to a negative rather than a positive before long imo - and I want him & Carolina to end on a friendly note and I think that time has come)!!

I agree with a lot of what you said. Not sure if Jr is calling the plays but if so it makes sense. I have NO faith in him at all. Not only from a recruiting standpoint but also play calling.

i think he will retire even if they make a bowl game....unless its a top tier bowl

HBC said after the Clemson loss last year he would take back over calling plays, sure doesn't look like. He's not engaged with the required energy, The last game we actually played decent was the Auburn loss last season. You could tell he was calling the plays, we haven't looked sharp since.

This will never be the case unless the culture around the fan base changes. We already have people lining up to forgive the UK loss if we beat UGA. In reality the two games have nothing to do with each other. At the power schools that game would have cost a trip to the championship game. Not here though. Doesn't matter as long as we win the next game.

The prevailing sentiment is 1. We are going to have to rebuild with or without Spurrier. 2. Spurrier might as well retire now while we are rebuilding and the fans are ready for a change. He is MUCH likely to leave on down note when his leaving wouldn't do much harm than to get us back to being a pretty good team just to ruin it with his retirement.

This will never be the case unless the culture around the fan base changes. We already have people lining up to forgive the UK loss if we beat UGA. In reality the two games have nothing to do with each other. At the power schools that game would have cost a trip to the championship game. Not here though. Doesn't matter as long as we win the next game.

Well you're right about one thing, the 2 games have nothing to do with each other.

The biggest difference being who is starting at QB. A win vs Uga won't erase the loss to UK but it will be an indicator of whether or not the offense can/will improve and possibly have a god season.

I mentally checked out after the way we lost to A&M last year. I went to the games for the social aspect and quit caring as much when we lost.

And then Spurrier spoke to use at halftime of the Kentucky basketball game. I got sucked back in and was enthusiastic. But did they not coach Mitch in practice? How is a stable program in such a fragile state?

The writing's on the wall for this year. We just lost a home opener at night. Clemson will name the score against us and they will probably be a playoff contender next year.

What part of the program do people find anything positive? I don't see it in game preparation. I don't see it in recruiting. Think back to Lou's last two years "coaching" for us.

Spurrier has this program as long as he wants, he will leave when he wants to, a good coach knows when to leave and how to leave the program. Does he want to have his last year a 7-6, 5-7, or a 6-6 team....NO, he wants to leave this program on a high note so whoever comes in can take over the program at a high level and continue at a high level.
No they don't. Latest example is Bowden at FSU, and he was one helluva coach. Many more examples besides that one.

I mentally checked out after the way we lost to A&M last year. I went to the games for the social aspect and quit caring as much when we lost.

And then Spurrier spoke to use at halftime of the Kentucky basketball game. I got sucked back in and was enthusiastic. But did they not coach Mitch in practice? How is a stable program in such a fragile state?

The writing's on the wall for this year. We just lost a home opener at night. Clemson will name the score against us and they will probably be a playoff contender next year.

What part of the program do people find anything positive? I don't see it in game preparation. I don't see it in recruiting. Think back to Lou's last two years "coaching" for us.

Football for me went from must see programming to not on that night. That night changed my fan life forever, and for the better. I don't take the game nearly as seriously as I did before that game, and never will again. One might say that I gave up, but I don't care. I actually kind of feel like a grown up now after 30 some odd years of acting like a two year old after a loss.

Unfortunately I think our chance to win an SEC/Natty has come and gone, at least for now. Those 2011-2013 teams were all capable, but just couldn't quite get it done. I think Spurrier realizes the window of opportunity has closed for the time being and he just doesn't have the time to rebuild and get to that level again. As sad as it is to say, helping us get a good coach to come in after him may be the best thing he can do for us at this point

He is gone unless he wins 8...therefore, he is gone.

Change is good.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT