ADVERTISEMENT

If we want a big time coach we are going to have to lay some $$$ down. How about

Freddie.B.Cocky

Jul 19, 2002
the Ole Miss coach or Saban himself? I mean aim high. Taking a chance on a young up and coming assistant has not worked for us in the past, e.g., Richard Bell or Fat Brad ring a bell? Also, up and coming young head coaches at smaller schools have not worked for us in the past, e.g., Sparky Woods ring a bell?

The thing about Spurrier leaving is one has to ask themselves who is available at this time? That is going to be the $10,000,000 question.

Last edited:
Reactions: Closer
the Ole Miss coach or Saban himself? I mean shot big. Taking a chance on a young up and coming assistant has not worked for us in the past, e.g., Richard Bell or Fat Brad ring a bell? Also, up and coming young head coaches at smaller schools have not worked for us in the past, e.g., Sparky Woods ring a bell?

The thing about Spurrier leaving is one has to ask themselves who is available at this time? That is going to be the $10,000,000 question.
I'm for spurrier leaving when he is ready, but when he does go we throw the bank at a coach. We have the tools to be great and the money to back it. If we don't make our next coach in the top 3 of salaries we are foing something wrong. If we go after a coach in the 6 million range we can make some traction. Id love to go after a Rex Ryan from buffalo.

Reactions: nikolas22
Take it for what it's worth

The focus will be on a younger coach that has good, high level experience, that has indicated interest in the job - and who has a clear and total recruiting strategy.

Let's just steer clear of big name coaches with sons who aspire to be legends like their fathers.

I'm for spurrier leaving when he is ready, but when he does go we throw the bank at a coach. We have the tools to be great and the money to back it. If we don't make our next coach in the top 3 of salaries we are foing something wrong. If we go after a coach in the 6 million range we can make some traction. Id love to go after a Rex Ryan from buffalo.
Rex Ryans son is on the football team @ Clemsux

I would take Justin Fuente from Memphis. He has turned that team around. I think they have a ten game winning streak or something and they are currently undefeated. Seems like a good candidate to rebuild the Gamecock football program.

I'm for an up and coming head coach from a smaller school, but not a 1 or 2 (year) hit wonder. We need to see that he's been a consistent winner for several years.

Let me ask you a general question about the "spurrier can leave when he's ready." What if he stays for the next 3-5 years and we win between 1-3 games a year. Would you still believe he should leave when he's ready? I guess my point is when should South Carolina start looking out for South Carolina? I agree that he should be able to retire when he wants too, but only if he can right the ship. I just don't see him doing that at this point in his career.

Let me ask you a general question about the "spurrier can leave when he's ready." What if he stays for the next 3-5 years and we win between 1-3 games a year. Would you still believe he should leave when he's ready? I guess my point is when should South Carolina start looking out for South Carolina?
The obvious answer is let him finish out his contract or retire, whichever comes first. I don't see us paying the buyout for his contract. Could establish a coach in waiting or something. Either way, start planning for the future of the Gamecock program.

I'm tired of getting coaches who are known more for what they did at their prior school than what they do here.
Why not get someone who can make a name for himself here?

And I would agree with you but picking that person that is going to be a success is the $64,000 question. It's so hard to predict.

Reactions: Closer
Let me ask you a general question about the "spurrier can leave when he's ready." What if he stays for the next 3-5 years and we win between 1-3 games a year. Would you still believe he should leave when he's ready? I guess my point is when should South Carolina start looking out for South Carolina? I agree that he should be able to retire when he wants too, but only if he can right the ship. I just don't see him doing that at this point in his career.

I believe the answer is we owe him just over 4 mil per year and he has I think 3 if not 4 years left. Unless he decides to call it quits that's between 12 and 16 million you gotta cough up to make a HOF coach go away.

Ain't gonna happen!

I'm tired of getting coaches who are known more for what they did at their prior school than what they do here.

Not to be funny but most Major schools (which we would be) generally go after someone based on what they did somewhere else!

I think UF tried an up and coming coordinator that by all accounts should have done well....We all know now how that worked out....

My honest opinion is we make it work with what we have if we can. By what we have the HBC is the face of the program and there is nothing wrong with that.

Where I draw a difference now is you hire an Asst HC in charge of operations that is actually running the day to day things.

Its obviously not a secret at this point that no one apparently is managing this program. But you can't afford to kick SOS out the door as it will cost you about 12 mil to do so then you have to pony up if you want someone elite to make you what you want to be....

So the other choice is what I said...Hire someone to manage it, making the coaching decisions necessary to bring in the best assistants we possibly can, run off this mess we have and set about rebuilding this program.

In all honestly that person does not need to be a HCIW or anything of the sort! He needs to be someone working with SOS but reporting directly to Ray Tanner at this point!

If SOS doesn't like that he can always quit.......That's harsh and I hate to say that but changes have to be made and not just for now but for 3, 4, 5 years from now when SOS does decide he is done....

Reactions: GamecockIndia
the Ole Miss coach or Saban himself? I mean aim high. Taking a chance on a young up and coming assistant has not worked for us in the past, e.g., Richard Bell or Fat Brad ring a bell? Also, up and coming young head coaches at smaller schools have not worked for us in the past, e.g., Sparky Woods ring a bell?

Saban ain't coming here. Please people, post intelligent things.

I don't know, but we damn sure need a big name coach in the fold when its all said & done with.

I believe the answer is we owe him just over 4 mil per year and he has I think 3 if not 4 years left. Unless he decides to call it quits that's between 12 and 16 million you gotta cough up to make a HOF coach go away.

Ain't gonna happen!
If USC does not have a Performance Clause in SOS contract then everyone associated with drawing up the contract should be fired. With his current record there is NO way we should owe him any buyout. He needs to refund a good piece of what he has already been paid.

Reactions: bmhood1984
If USC does not have a Performance Clause in SOS contract then everyone associated with drawing up the contract should be fired. With his current record there is NO way we should owe him any buyout. He needs to refund a good piece of what he has already been paid.

LOL I seriously doubt his, or any other coach's contract, requires a certain number of games be won in a given period of time.

Might there be certain benchmarks? Graduation rates etc tied to it? Sure as he gets a bonus for that stuff just as he does for wining 9, 10, 11 or more games in a season or playing in this bowl or that bowl or even making it to a playoff game but I very seriously doubt there is ANYTHING in there requiring him to meet any threshold with regard to wins.......

Given the fact he is represented by one of the best agents there is in the business I doubt you will be getting rid of him by using any type of contractual obligation.....

Freddie B.,

We need a coach who is hungry to make himself a national brand "name" coach. We do not need someone who has already reached that status and has nothing to prove. We need a Head Coach who is young, has proven, successful Head Coach experience, has beaten or played the socks off the bigger Power 5 conference programs and has successfully recruited near the top of his conference. I submit 4 names in no particular order:

1. Tom Herman, Houston
2. Matt Campbell, Toledo
3. Matt Rhule, Temple
4. Brian Harsin, Boise State.

Freddie B.,

We need a coach who is hungry to make himself a national brand "name" coach. We do not need someone who has already reached that status and has nothing to prove. We need a Head Coach who is young, has proven, successful Head Coach experience, has beaten or played the socks off the bigger Power 5 conference programs and has successfully recruited near the top of his conference. I submit 4 names in no particular order:

1. Tom Herman, Houston
2. Matt Campbell, Toledo
3. Matt Rhule, Temple

Would you look at Stoops in Kentucky?

Freddie B.,

1. Tom Herman, Houston
2. Matt Campbell, Toledo
3. Matt Rhule, Temple

This is exactly what I mean by my post. I am tired of hiring HOF coaches who made their names somewhere else who, as you point out, have nothing to prove here. It is obviously not working out for us. And no, 3rd time is NOT the charm.

Freddie B.,

1. Tom Herman, Houston
2. Matt Campbell, Toledo
3. Matt Rhule, Temple
This would be my list. And for those who say they don't want a one-hit wonder from a smaller school may want to look a Urban Meyer, had one-year at Bowling Green and one-year at Utah before taking the Florida job. UF searched well....very well. And hiring an A-List coach at a P5 school guarantees no more success than hiring an up-and-comer.

LOL I seriously doubt his, or any other coach's contract, requires a certain number of games be won in a given period of time.

Might there be certain benchmarks? Graduation rates etc tied to it? Sure as he gets a bonus for that stuff just as he does for wining 9, 10, 11 or more games in a season or playing in this bowl or that bowl or even making it to a playoff game but I very seriously doubt there is ANYTHING in there requiring him to meet any threshold with regard to wins.......

Given the fact he is represented by one of the best agents there is in the business I doubt you will be getting rid of him by using any type of contractual obligation.....
I am not arguing with you personally, just stating some basic business practices that should have been done contractually.
Unless and until we can actually See and read the contract, this is all conjecture. But, whatever the contract SAYS, is what governs, regardless of what any Agent or Any Board Member has to say.
This problem is not new at Carolina. The USC has been "took" on contracts with coaches forever. I don't know when they will learn. We have a great Law School. Don't know why they don't use it.

You do realize that Hugh Freeze only had one-year of coaching at Arky State before Ole Miss hired him. Prior to that his only other HC gig was one-year at Lambuth.

I am not arguing with you personally, just stating some basic business practices that should have been done contractually.
Unless and until we can actually See and read the contract, this is all conjecture. But, whatever the contract SAYS, is what governs, regardless of what any Agent or Any Board Member has to say.
This problem is not new at Carolina. The USC has been "took" on contracts with coaches forever. I don't know when they will learn. We have a great Law School. Don't know why they don't use it.

I understand just pointing out that a "performance clause" is not meant to include wins and/or loses. Its to perform certain functions! Its to require you to perform certain functions of your job.

Its not a guarantee of any results and there would be no way to quantify that.

At the end of the day I'm not pleased with SOS and this team....I'm not pleased with the management or lack thereof of this program. But hiring SOS has done more good than bad....

I just think there is a realistic way you manage this situation now and firing a HOF coach isn't a good idea at this point....

Changes have to be made and they have to include the future and not just our immediate needs. Its not an easy fix and never is or likely will be here or anywhere....

Right now the question is what does SOS want to do? Does he want to stay around 2, 3, 4 or 5 more years? That's the kind of info that Ray Tanner needs to know so he can sit down and develop a plan with everyone involved to get the help here we have to have.

This current set of assistant coach's is a joke......I blame SOS for that as he ultimately hired them or let them be hired. That's on him and I suspect he would tell you its on him.

The question is does he want to stay and fix it? If he does then he should get some say so in who works for him.

If he doesn't want to stay but wants to work out some sort of transition then I think Ray needs to have as much, if not more, say so in who we bring in.

Ultimately Ray will be the one who has to retain or fire a new group of coach's if he HC leaves in 2 or 3 years.......

See- people that talk about Saban actually believe it- that's what is sad.

Just like the folks last night that drove around a barricade on the road- and 2 of them are missing this morning.

A lot of folks just aren't smart.

Saban ain't coming here. Please people, post intelligent things.

I understand just pointing out that a "performance clause" is not meant to include wins and/or loses. Its to perform certain functions! Its to require you to perform certain functions of your job.

Its not a guarantee of any results and there would be no way to quantify that.

At the end of the day I'm not pleased with SOS and this team....I'm not pleased with the management or lack thereof of this program. But hiring SOS has done more good than bad....

I just think there is a realistic way you manage this situation now and firing a HOF coach isn't a good idea at this point....

Changes have to be made and they have to include the future and not just our immediate needs. Its not an easy fix and never is or likely will be here or anywhere....

Right now the question is what does SOS want to do? Does he want to stay around 2, 3, 4 or 5 more years? That's the kind of info that Ray Tanner needs to know so he can sit down and develop a plan with everyone involved to get the help here we have to have.

This current set of assistant coach's is a joke......I blame SOS for that as he ultimately hired them or let them be hired. That's on him and I suspect he would tell you its on him.

The question is does he want to stay and fix it? If he does then he should get some say so in who works for him.

If he doesn't want to stay but wants to work out some sort of transition then I think Ray needs to have as much, if not more, say so in who we bring in.

Ultimately Ray will be the one who has to retain or fire a new group of coach's if he HC leaves in 2 or 3 years.......
As you say; "It is what it is"; and that ain't good! Your first two paragraphs are debatable, IMO. I could craft a performance clause better than we are now getting afield., so I am sure a pro could do better.
As much as SOS has done for us, I don't see how we can leave it up to him as to when he leaves. That is Ray's job. He can make suggestions to him and work with him to some extent, but it is what it is, and it ain't gonna get better until there is a New Staff in place. But there are ways for him to go out gracefully, If both sides cooperate.

How long are you willing to give him... or her?

You wouldn't have a coach under contract if that was in the contract. That's like a baseball player not getting paid if he strikes out, or a pitcher giving up a game losing hit, not an agent in America who would allow their client to sign a contract with a clause in it for failed performance. Its not like the other coach isn't getting paid to win too and is on the sideline as a volunteer.

You wouldn't have a coach under contract if that was in the contract. That's like a baseball player not getting paid if he strikes out, or a pitcher giving up a game losing hit, not an agent in America who would allow their client to sign a contract with a clause in it for failed performance. Its not like the other coach isn't getting paid to win too and is on the sideline as a volunteer.
If there are no performance standards then a contract is worthless. Why have it?.
I would dearly love to see his contract.

If the eagles fire Chip Kelly I would absolutely be all for him coming to Carolina. I don't know if we could get a coach better than him

Mike Gundy at Okla.St. He is making 3.75mil,,,,offer him 5m I think he will take it. 48 years years old.

he showed interest in the Tenn and Ark jobs,,,Rich Rod left his alma mater, sometimes coaches feel that have done all they can do at a school or they are up for a new challenge

he showed interest in the Tenn and Ark jobs,,,Rich Rod left his alma mater, sometimes coaches feel that have done all they can do at a school or they are up for a new challenge
Bowden also "showed interest" in the Arky job [wink, wink]. And the fact he is not at either school probably tells you how much interest he actually had. Rich Rod left for UM....one of the most storied college football programs. That's like leaving for Bama, So Cal, Texas, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT