ADVERTISEMENT

If we win the Bowl and finish 8-5 ...

BobbyB1975

Sep 9, 2018
If we win the bowl I’m curious are you ...

A We are about where we are expected to be after a Massive rebuild . Muschamp has us moving in the right direction . In two or three more years we will be playing for East Titles and back in the Top 10 .

B Can’t get this guy out of here quick enough . Stick him and his staff on the first bus out of Columbia with a full tank and hope to never see him again .

C This is what Carolina Football has always been . Hovering around .500 with a few great seasons every 5 or 6 years . Muschamp is a football coach not a Wizard . 2010-2013 was an aberration.

D Don’t care either way . Gameday is just an excuse to get away from the wife , to drink way to much and not feel like an alcoholic and stare at girls in the stands half my age ( i’m 44) and not feel like a creeper .

Curious

You should/could remake this into a real poll......

Of course, then I couldn't make my pick; because my answer is that we're somehwere between A and C.

We are what we are to a degree. However, 'Champ has us moving in the right direction - building from the ground up. I have guarded optimism that he will build us into a solid, sustainable, successful program over the long haul.

Last edited:
Carolina Football has always been about potential. We rarely reach our ceiling IMO. Maybe Muschamp gets us to be a steady 8-10 win program. That would be progress. Who knows, get a special QB like Clemson has gotten twice recently and he could carry us to even greater heights. Could be Joyner, Helinski or Doty. I'm convinced that is what it will take.

This makes for an interesting discussion. After UF loss, I was pretty down, but I was impressed with how we played vs. CU (expected it to be over in 1st quarter). And yesterday's win gets us to 7-5, which is not great, but it's certainly not terrible. Win or lose the Bowl game, Muschamp does have feather in his cap of winning most games in 1st three seasons as USC head coach (22 right now).

Personally, unless we get the "perfect hire/fit", I think our program is one that is a perennial 7 or 8 game winner (Bowl team), with occasional 9 or 10 win seasons. There's no shame in that, as only a few programs have the history, geography, conf. competition, etc. to be perennial CFP contenders. Again, there is caveat of hiring the perfect fit to take you to the next level, but you never find out who that coach is until you're in the midst of such a run.

(Also, I'm thankful our geography helps us at least be a perennial 7-8 win Bowl team, compared to some "old powers" outside the South, like Nebraska, struggling in today's environment. Even with fighting UGA, CU, etc. for recruits, we have a big talent pool in the Carolinas/Southeast.)

This makes for an interesting discussion. After UF loss, I was pretty down, but I was impressed with how we played vs. CU (expected it to be over in 1st quarter). And yesterday's win gets us to 7-5, which is not great, but it's certainly not terrible. Win or lose the Bowl game, Muschamp does have feather in his cap of winning most games in 1st three seasons as USC head coach (22 right now).

Personally, unless we get the "perfect hire/fit", I think our program is one that is a perennial 7 or 8 game winner (Bowl team), with occasional 9 or 10 win seasons. There's no shame in that, as only a few programs have the history, geography, conf. competition, etc. to be perennial CFP contenders. Again, there is caveat of hiring the perfect fit to take you to the next level, but you never find out who that coach is until you're in the midst of such a run.

(Also, I'm thankful our geography helps us at least be a perennial 7-8 win Bowl team, compared to some "old powers" outside the South, like Nebraska, struggling in today's environment. Even with fighting UGA, CU, etc. for recruits, we have a big talent pool in the Carolinas/Southeast.)

Wow you hit it right on the head . Honestly after the UF game I was solidly in Camp B . In my 40+ years of watching Gamecock Football that was as mad as I have ever been after UF . After the Clemson game I’m now pretty firmly in Camp C . He showed something in the Clemson game that I had not seen in him . I agree it takes a special coach and a lot of breaks to go your way with recruiting . Having guys like Latt and Clowney fall in your lap doesn’t happen very often and when it does you gotta have a coach that can fully take advantage. Not many Spurrier’s left in the world . With two of the top 5 teams in America in your backyard , he’s got a tough road no doubt . I think he will catching lightening in a bottle a few years and jump up and challenge for a two or three year stretch much like Spurrier if the perfect situation occurs . I think your history is a pretty good indication of your future and our history is a decent but never elite program no matter who wears the headset .

C

Our recruiting class still lacks the “quantity “ of quality players. And I don’t think the staff is good ENOUGH to compensate for that lack.

2010-2013 was a high mark to the norm. But the historical performance of this program will now not be good enough because of 10-13.

but we've never even been that until Spurrier got here. The most wins we had as an SEC team before Holtz was 7. We were a perennial 5 to 6 wins a season. Holtz had 2(what we considered great at the time) decent seasons where we won 8 and 9 games(what we seem to be scoffing at now). After those 2 seasons he followed up with back to back 5 win seasons and a 6 win season his last here. Along comes Spurrier who pulls us out of the basement of the SEC but even he struggled to get us to win more than 7 games with one 8 win season in his first 5 years. Everything changed for us in 2010 when we won the East and won 9 games. We were spoiled from 2010 to 2014. We felt we had finally arrived where we should have been all along. Now expectations have changed and we have become critical over seasons we would have once been ecstatic about. I remember when the Carquest Bowl win was the pinnacle of our success. I even had a t-shirt. How embarrassing does that now seem? Muschamp has accomplished more in his first 3 seasons than any other coach. He's recruiting decently. Lets give him some time before we get down on him for only winning 7 or 8 games. He's in his 3rd year of a complete overhaul. The team has improved each year even if the win total hasn't. I think we're headed in the right direction but we'll never know if we pull the plug too soon.

A
DEFINITELY not C.
This is not what Carolina has always been. Before Lou and Spurrier this would be one of the all time great years.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
but we've never even been that until Spurrier got here. The most wins we had as an SEC team before Holtz was 7. We were a perennial 5 to 6 wins a season. Holtz had 2(what we considered great at the time) decent seasons where we won 8 and 9 games(what we seem to be scoffing at now). After those 2 seasons he followed up with back to back 5 win seasons and a 6 win season his last here. Along comes Spurrier who pulls us out of the basement of the SEC but even he struggled to get us to win more than 7 games with one 8 win season in his first 5 years. Everything changed for us in 2010 when we won the East and won 9 games. We were spoiled from 2010 to 2014. We felt we had finally arrived where we should have been all along. Now expectations have changed and we have become critical over seasons we would have once been ecstatic about. I remember when the Carquest Bowl win was the pinnacle of our success. I even had a t-shirt. How embarrassing does that now seem? Muschamp has accomplished more in his first 3 seasons than any other coach. He's recruiting decently. Lets give him some time before we get down on him for only winning 7 or 8 games. He's in his 3rd year of a complete overhaul. The team has improved each year even if the win total hasn't. I think we're headed in the right direction but we'll never know if we pull the plug too soon.

Yeah a constant clash that I’ve seen on this board and everywhere else is old school fans vs new school fans. Like you said I remember watching the Carquest bowl and thinking it was the greatest thing ever . I remember getting Thrashed by LSU in the Gator Bowl and being thrilled just to get invited . Newer fans watched Spurrier consistently beat UGA , UT , Clemson , UF and now they expect it . Truth is .. love him or hate him Spurrier was a freak of nature . I think the old school guys are perfectly happy with 8-5 , 7-5 and the new school guys scoff at it . What makes it tough for the New school guys to swallow is , Dabo has created a football Dynasty 100 miles up the road in a cow pasture . If they can do it why can’t we . Not sure what the answer is .

Yeah a constant clash that I’ve seen on this board and everywhere else is old school fans vs new school fans. Like you said I remember watching the Carquest bowl and thinking it was the greatest thing ever . I remember getting Thrashed by LSU in the Gator Bowl and being thrilled just to get invited . Newer fans watched Spurrier consistently beat UGA , UT , Clemson , UF and now they expect it . Truth is .. love him or hate him Spurrier was a freak of nature . I think the old school guys are perfectly happy with 8-5 , 7-5 and the new school guys scoff at it . What makes it tough for the New school guys to swallow is , Dabo has created a football Dynasty 100 miles up the road in a cow pasture . If they can do it why can’t we . Not sure what the answer is .
I don't think any of us will ever again be content with 7 win seasons but we can get through them as long as they're not the norm and we see progress. The key is to have patience as long as we're moving in the right direction. I didn't expect to be competing for the SEC Championship in Champ's 3rd season. As great as Spurrier was we only made it to 1 Championship game and it wasn't even in his best year. It's going to be tougher for Muschamp than it was for Spurrier because we now appear to have a juggernaut in the East that is going to be hard to get passed. Florida is another team that scares me down the road. I like Dan Mullen as a coach and I hated to see him go to UF.

Count me in the 'New School' crowd . . . . and I turned 74 last Wednesday!

I don't think any of us will ever again be content with 7 win seasons but we can get through them as long as they're not the norm and we see progress. The key is to have patience as long as we're moving in the right direction. I didn't expect to be competing for the SEC Championship in Champ's 3rd season. As great as Spurrier was we only made it to 1 Championship game and it wasn't even in his best year. It's going to be tougher for Muschamp than it was for Spurrier because we now appear to have a juggernaut in the East that is going to be hard to get passed. Florida is another team that scares me down the road. I like Dan Mullen as a coach and I hated to see him go to UF.

Yeah UF will be a powerhouse again in a few years . I think what we need to be very careful of is spinning the “Excuse Wheel” that to me is what separates the Bama’s from the Missouri’s. It’s an easy thing to do . 2016- No Talent/ lack of depth, 2017 - Bad OC , 2018 - Rash of injuries , 2019- Schedule , 2020 - Inexperience at QB and Skill positions . All of these things are perfectly legit but the big time programs don’t care what the excuses are ... if the stadium falls into a sink hole you still gotta win . One thing I admire about Muschamp is he’s NEVER made excuses . At UF he had every legit thing go wrong that could go wrong and he owned it . On the flip side Jim Mcelwain made every excuse in the book and they canned him without a thought . The top programs find a way to overcome these issues but it helps when you have three fives stars on the bench to replace the one five star you lost to injury , suspension or draft . Honestly there are probably 5 to 6 Elite programs year after year and everybody else is playing for respectability.

A We are about where we are expected to be after a Massive rebuild . Muschamp has us moving in the right direction . In two or three more years we will be playing for East Titles and back in the Top 10 .

B Can’t get this guy out of here quick enough . Stick him and his staff on the first bus out of Columbia with a full tank and hope to never see him again .

C This is what Carolina Football has always been . Hovering around .500 with a few great seasons every 5 or 6 years . Muschamp is a football coach not a Wizard . 2010-2013 was an aberration.

D Don’t care either way . Gameday is just an excuse to get away from the wife , to drink way to much and not feel like an alcoholic and stare at girls in the stands half my age ( i’m 44) and not feel like a creeper .

Curious

As a person who isn't happy with Muschamp this year, I do care...

8-5 looks better than 7-6... I'm just still pissed off that we can't beat KY, TAM this year and blowing a 17 point lead to Fla in the 4th quarter...

And alway, pissed the way we lost to Clemson in 2016, 2017 & 2018... Then again, I'm pissed how we lost to Clemson in 1977, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2014 and 2015... A lot to be pissed off...

But seeing how we were 3-9 in 2015, 6-7 in 2016 and 9-4 in 2017; I'll be happy what we can get with a 8-5 and hope Muschamp and build on that and do a better job of coach and not blow big lead like the Fla game...

Under Spurrier, I always felt we had a 75% of better winning a game... Still under Muschamp more like a 55% chance.... Rank it near Lou about a 55%-60...

Another thing I look at is the record with SEC games... 3-5 in 2016, 5-3 in 2017, 4-4 in 2018 records... That's not bad compared to Spurrier when he went 5-3 in 2005, 3-5 in 2006, 3-5 in 2007 in the SEC...

Over all, I'll take what I can get in good news front...

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Count me in the 'New School' crowd . . . . and I turned 74 last Wednesday!

God bless ya Brother !!! You reserve a Purple Heart !! Never gave up on my team but gotta admit the last few years of the Scott and even Holtz era I was spending way more time on the water and in a tree stand on Saturday’s during the fall . I didn’t find out about the brawl in Death Valley until the next night !!

Reactions: 67gamecock
I think somewhere between A and C... We've been mediocre, and there may be no pulling us out of that by Muschamp. I don't know. But his recruiting has been building a solid program if he gets a decent S&C guy in here.

Reactions: jonesz21
Going to the Belk Bowl as expected, USC will get a beatable opponent, but not a win that would impress anyone. And while going 8-5 this year is about as good as expected. Many will lament the couple of games that got away, while forgetting a couple that went our way when they easily could have gone the other (the heaven sent rain storm against Mizzou comes to mind). And of course there will be the never ending complaints about Bentley, and the dreams that Joyner, or Hilinski, will be replacing him soon.
But let's be very honest about USC football. Had a magical three year run under Sourrier that was aided by two things. A great run of in state talent that chose USC, and the major players in the East having issues during that stretch. Even though the talent was always there, UGA seems to have taken things up a notch with Kirby. With their recruiting advantages, I don't think anyone doubts that it is only a matter of time until Mullen has Florida contending to be in the nation's elite. UT can't help but get better under Pruitt, and Kentucky has elevated their program during the Stoops era. Outside of the conference, no matter how much we hate it, Clemson is still almost selecting players as opposed to recruiting, and I don't see that ending. USC could be very improved talent wise next year, but because of the schedule, the record will be about the same, at best. USC football is what it is. Going to be a 7-8 win program when things are going well. Maybe a 9-10 win season when the schedule and circumstances fall into our lap. Scrambling to be bowl eligible when things go south a bit. Realistically, just the way I see it. History doesn't indicate anything else

Reactions: street larry
After the Florida game, I was down. We dropped from 5-3 to 4-4 in SEC play. After thinking about it, I realized that EVERY team on our conference schedule was improved over last year, and we had to improve to keep pace. We won 3 games by a total of 9 points and lost 2 by a total of 7. A few bounces going differently and we could have been 1-7 or 6-2.
The East is definitely improving. Spurrier benefited from the SEC East (and Clemson) being at low points during his tenure.

During the first few offensive drives against Florida I realized that, for the first time in several years, I was watching a complete offense that knew what it was doing and was executing. The same against Clemson.
On an unrelated note, the uniform combination against Akron was undoubtedly the ugliest I have ever seen us wear.

I think what made this year such a tough pill to swallow is we had massive expectations this year . I heard multiple media sources saying we had a legitimate shot at UGA in the East . Most experienced QB in the SEC , Deebo and Edwards coming back , toughest games at home , defense bound to improve under Muschamp , East is way down , etc etc . Then the pick 6 happened against UGA and the lights went out . Seems like after that the wheels fell off . Honestly those expectations are out of whack . We are improving but to compare us to UGA and Clemson at this point is comparing Koalas to Grizzlies. Not that we can’t get there but it is a LONG road to haul . If he goes 7-5 or worse the next two years are we gonna keep grinding or cut the chord . Not saying either answer is right .

Somewhere between A and B. If we had beat UF, which should have happened, this conversation likely feels much different.

Next year should be very telling on the direction of the program. The offense really found it's rhythm the second half of the season. Hopefully that carries over into next season. The defense is obviously of great concern - tackling specifically. Time after time, "his guys" were in position to make a tackle and couldn't do it. Hopefully, we'll see them heal and improve but the spotlight is squarely on Muschamp b/c that's why we hired him.

He's compiled enough info as a Head Coach to draw trends and he's getting paid alot of money and he should be held accountable. The bottom line is that we had a very easy schedule this year and didn't be anyone of significance for the 3rd straight year. The 6-27 versus ranked teams is relevant. The fact he failed at one of the top places in the country to coach is relevant. The fact Auburn's defense actually got significantly worse during his year there is relevant.

Curious
Part A and part C. Hopefully, closer to A but it remains to be seen.

The ‘knock’ on Muschamp has been the inability to recruit a great QB, and subsequent lack of offense. The strength of this team down the stretch has been the offense. The defense gets somewhat of a pass with the loss of five to six starters.

If Carolina can retain Kinlaw, Stanley and a few others that could depart for the NFL, or chances at the NFL, next year’s team looks like it may be his most talented and experienced since he’s been here.

Debo and Bailey will be very difficult to replace. The downside of injuries on defense is having to play true freshmen, the plus side to that issue, is gaining experience that will pay off in 2019.

#10, #52, #90, #24, #7 and others will play plenty in 2019 on defense.

Experienced and proven Sr QB, four Sr RB’s, experienced WR’s/TE’s, and three starting OL possibly returning as well.

I see a lot of potential to be better next season, but the schedule is daunting as well!

Carolina today is lightyears ahead of where it has been historically. From 1892-1999, we had almost no history. That one ACC championship, Rogers' Heisman, 1984, and a few other o.k. seasons were about all we ever accomplished. Consistent bowl trips and 7-8 win seasons were NOT A THING for South Carolina. Bowl wins were NOT A THING.

Holtz and Spurrier raised the bar to the point that we expect regular bowl trips and winning seasons. How little we remember.

I note this because some of our fans act like our peak as a program is consistent 7-8 win seasons and nothing greater can be accomplished. People forget that our old "normal" was 4-6 wins and, if we were really lucky, 7-8 wins.

Curious
We are one game behind where we realistically should have been.

For me it is somewhere between A & C. No, not B. I think we are headed in the right direction... but still cautiously optimistic. And I’m close to conceding that this is who we are with the exception of a few good years and terrible years. It’s what I’ve watched my whole life.

Hoping Muschamp just knows what he’s doing and what it takes. If it works out it’ll be a genius move on Ray Tanner’s part because I don’t think many others would’ve taken the chance. But he’s done ok. Better than I expected, but nothing that has me feeling like we’ll be world beaters.

Last edited:
Very well said.

Reactions: rogue cock
I like how you worded "C" with the understanding that we, for the most part, have been a mediocre team. While I'll take an 8 win season anytime, I cannot see our program ever achieving an SEC title because there are too many perennial powerhouses that will always be in our way on the east and west side of the conference. And these perennial powerhouses, while down at times (like UF and UT) can easily become where UGA is now in only a season or two unlike us who take many more seasons if ever.

8-5 looks better than 7-6... I'm just still pissed off that we can't beat KY, TAM this year and blowing a 17 point lead to Fla in the 4th quarter...

And alway, pissed the way we lost to Clemson in 2016, 2017 & 2018... Then again, I'm pissed how we lost to Clemson in 1977, 1978, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983, 1985, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2008, 2014 and 2015... A lot to be pissed off...

But seeing how we were 3-9 in 2015, 6-7 in 2016 and 9-4 in 2017; I'll be happy what we can get with a 8-5 and hope Muschamp and build on that and do a better job of coach and not blow big lead like the Fla game...

Under Spurrier, I always felt we had a 75% of better winning a game... Still under Muschamp more like a 55% chance.... Rank it near Lou about a 55%-60...

Another thing I look at is the record with SEC games... 3-5 in 2016, 5-3 in 2017, 4-4 in 2018 records... That's not bad compared to Spurrier when he went 5-3 in 2005, 3-5 in 2006, 3-5 in 2007 in the SEC...

The first paragraph of your post says it all re: my feelings (and most of Gamecock Nation imo) concerning this season. Good grief! If we'd just beaten Kensucky OR Florida it would have really pushed Boom's momentum in his 3rd year. However, we need to buck up and show up in Charlotte and get that 8th win over UVA.

Reactions: king ward

If he doesn't learn a valuable lesson from that UF game then he's not much of a coach. Hopefully he does.

Reactions: king ward
Somewhere between A and C. I think he has made us competitive again (for the most part) and we are going to continue to get better. That being said, we couldn't win the SEC when we were winning 11 and it's difficult to imagine us doing it now.

Reactions: Jpcooper
After the Florida game, I was down. We dropped from 5-3 to 4-4 in SEC play. After thinking about it, I realized that EVERY team on our conference schedule was improved over last year, and we had to improve to keep pace. We won 3 games by a total of 9 points and lost 2 by a total of 7. A few bounces going differently and we could have been 1-7 or 6-2.
The East is definitely improving. Spurrier benefited from the SEC East (and Clemson) being at low points during his tenure.

During the first few offensive drives against Florida I realized that, for the first time in several years, I was watching a complete offense that knew what it was doing and was executing. The same against Clemson.
On an unrelated note, the uniform combination against Akron was undoubtedly the ugliest I have ever seen us wear.

Uhhh, clemp won 2 BCS bowl games and the ACC championship during that time. I wouldn't call that low points by any means. Outside of '81, that run included the best teams they've ever fielded.

Uhhh, clemp won 2 BCS bowl games and the ACC championship during that time. I wouldn't call that low points by any means. Outside of '81, that run included the best teams they've ever fielded.
Your first sentence shows how little the game means outside the fan bases. Those accomplishments are what Dabo was selling to all those recruits that are now taking them to the CFP. Us beating them didn't sell as well to recruits.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT