ADVERTISEMENT

If we're not discussing a victory 7 days from this very moment

It's not gonna happen so don't worry about it.

It means Quinshad Davis torched us for 150 yards and 2 td's and everyone will be wondering why we filled up on Jody Fuller and Kwinton Smith in 2012 at WR vs doing correct evaluations

Reactions: usc4ever15
I will be upset....but that game will have little bearing on the rest of the season. The first game for any team is not a true indication as to how good or how bad they will be. It will give you some insights as to what you need to work on but little else. We could win big and have a bad season or lose and have a good season. It's just not that damn simple !!!!

USC will make that school look like a glorified HS trying to impress the parents. Hoke will kick their tarheel butts. He has a lot to prove and he will do it.

Reactions: QC Cock
Look no further than Ohio State -Va Tech last year to see what the first game promises as far as the season. That being said, beat that bunch of cheaters by a hundred. If UNC wins, they immediately put themselves in the national championship hunt (or so the North Carolina media will tell us)

I will be upset....but that game will have little bearing on the rest of the season. The first game for any team is not a true indication as to how good or how bad they will be. It will give you some insights as to what you need to work on but little else. We could win big and have a bad season or lose and have a good season. It's just not that damn simple !!!!

Meh. Tell all that to the 2014 Gamecocks. Specifically the D and its coaches.

Reactions: Gamecock2015
I decided after the Mizzou game last year that I would no longer allow a bunch of kids playing a game, dictate my happiness and attitude. I am 56 years old, I have been to hundreds of South Carolina football games. It used to eat at me for days after a loss. No more, I will enjoy the wins and ignore the loses. If the game gets ugly now days, or starts to piss me off, I turn it off. Trust me, you guys will be a lot happier a lot sooner if you learn that now instead of 30 years from now.

Meh. Tell all that to the 2014 Gamecocks. Specifically the D and its coaches.
It really didn't tell the whole story. The Georgia and East Carolina games put us back in the spotlight and we and the rest of the country thought the Texas A&M game was a fluke. We weren't the same team in any of those games.

popcorn_stephen_colbert.gif

JT4, let's talk about your meaningful and exciting opener against....um....against a noboby. OK, well surely the second game is against a meaningful team, right? Oh.
We all know you wish you were starting with someone exciting, but that's not quimpsun football. See, this is why you're here on our site. Because you have little to look forward to other than playing Big East cast offs. Run along to Bi Lo and pick up some free tickets to see the farm school play.

JT4, let's talk about your meaningful and exciting opener against....um....against a noboby. OK, well surely the second game is against a meaningful team, right? Oh.
We all know you wish you were starting with someone exciting, but that's not quimpsun football. See, this is why you're here on our site. Because you have little to look forward to other than playing Big East cast offs. Run along to Bi Lo and pick up some free tickets to see the farm school play.

Now that's funny right there! True, and hilarious!!

It really didn't tell the whole story. The Georgia and East Carolina games put us back in the spotlight and we and the rest of the country thought the Texas A&M game was a fluke. We weren't the same team in any of those games.

It told THE story of our year. Namely, our D was pathetic. Yeah sure we beat ECU and UGA, but our 5 other losses stand as testament to what an abysmal product we trotted out there last year defensively.

I decided after the Mizzou game last year that I would no longer allow a bunch of kids playing a game, dictate my happiness and attitude. I am 56 years old, I have been to hundreds of South Carolina football games. It used to eat at me for days after a loss. No more, I will enjoy the wins and ignore the loses. If the game gets ugly now days, or starts to piss me off, I turn it off. Trust me, you guys will be a lot happier a lot sooner if you learn that now instead of 30 years from now.
Amen to that one. After watching spring game gave me hope we will play press defense and be much improved. But I will wait and see. But, make no mistake an opening day loss to UNC would almost assuredly guarantee another mediocre season. I just hope we try and run the ball a whole lot.

It told THE story of our year. Namely, our D was pathetic. Yeah sure we beat ECU and UGA, but our 5 other losses stand as testament to what an abysmal product we trotted out there last year defensively.
True....but in 2011 we beat East Carolina in Charlotte after falling behind but it didn't define the season. We beat Georgia by 3 and Navy by three the next two games (didn't see that coming after the first game)....We beat Vanderbilt 17-13 in the opener in 2012....but came in and beat East Carolina, UAB, Missouri, Georgia and Kentucky by pretty solid scores (didn't see that 1st game coming). In 2013 we beat North Carolina 27-10....lost UGA and looked bad against UCF, Vanderbilt and Kentucky in the next three (didn't see that coming). Last year after the Texas A&M loss and the wins over UGA and East Carolina we really didn't see the disaster that followed. We had our concerns....The point is...you can't define the season after one game as has been proven time after time....year after year. If you look back then hind site is 20-20....but looking back it always is.....but game one never predicted what was going to happen in game two.....

Reactions: gamecockjosh
Same here, except I made that decision a few years ago. I record all USC games but skip to end to see if it's a W, if not, I don't watch the game. That's good advice to younger fans.

I'm 70 and still haven't completely learned that lesson, sadly to say.

I'm 70 and still haven't completely learned that lesson, sadly to say.
Freddie, I remember a game back in the 70s when Carlen(one of USC's best coaches)was coaching and it was a loss. I REALLY got upset but now it doesn't bother me so much. I still care but I don't get so upset. My wife never understood why it bothered me so much and she was right all along.

It isn't something you can learn. I've known this for 20 or more years but that doesn't change my passion for the Gamecocks. As I see it, you either love them or you don't. If I didn't, I wouldn't even be reading Gamecock posts on this forum.
Do I get frustrated? Absolutely. But this coming week will be the longest week of the year for me. I will be positioned to watch the game at 6:00 PM Thursday. If the Cocks lose, it will ruin my night and somewhat dampen my season. I hate losing, but most especially to an ACC school.
I'm not criticizing you. I'm just saying that "not being disappointed" isn't something I can learn.

It isn't something you can learn. I've known this for 20 or more years but that doesn't change my passion for the Gamecocks. As I see it, you either love them or you don't. If I didn't, I wouldn't even be reading Gamecock posts on this forum.
Do I get frustrated? Absolutely. But this coming week will be the longest week of the year for me. I will be positioned to watch the game at 6:00 PM Thursday. If the Cocks lose, it will ruin my night and somewhat dampen my season. I hate losing, but most especially to an ACC school.
I'm not criticizing you. I'm just saying that "not being disappointed" isn't something I can learn.

I think the key is finding perspective to the more important things in life. We all want the Gamecocks to do well. I buy season tickets and have for almost 20 years. But each year that goes on I find that I tend to put more priority on family and friends than sporting events. I think he key is finding a healthy balance.

Remember that if we win there will still be over half of the so called fans questioning everything about the season unless we decimate UNC. Even then we will have some folks that say we have not proven anything.

Remember that if we win there will still be over half of the so called fans questioning everything about the season unless we decimate UNC. Even then we will have some folks that say we have not proven anything.
I'll be happy with a one point win.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT