ADVERTISEMENT

If you are going to Florida for vacation beware

andersoncountycock

Nov 12, 2019
A case of a rare, brain-destroying amoeba has been confirmed in Florida.

The Florida Department of Health on Friday announced the confirmed case of Naegleria fowleri — a microscopic single-celled amoeba that can infect and destroy the brain. It's usually fatal, the DOH saiid.
Naegleria fowleri is typically found in warm freshwater like lakes, rivers and ponds. The DOH has cautioned people who swim in those freshwater sources to be aware of the amoeba's possible presence, particularly when the water is warm.
"Adverse health effects on humans can be prevented by avoiding nasal contact with the waters, since the amoeba enters through nasal passages," the DOH said.

The Florida Department of Health on Friday announced the confirmed case of Naegleria fowleri — a microscopic single-celled amoeba that can infect and destroy the brain. It's usually fatal, the DOH saiid.
Naegleria fowleri is typically found in warm freshwater like lakes, rivers and ponds. The DOH has cautioned people who swim in those freshwater sources to be aware of the amoeba's possible presence, particularly when the water is warm.
"Adverse health effects on humans can be prevented by avoiding nasal contact with the waters, since the amoeba enters through nasal passages," the DOH said.

This has been found in sc as well.. i wanna say it got a kid down at santee a few years back... also it killed a girl that got it at the whitewater center up in Charlotte as well.. some type of brain eating ameba

Florida...of course.

It’s one of those things that is so incredibly rare you can’t prepare for it. The only way would be to stay out of all body’s of water not like a pool. It’s killed people is SC. I just can’t live life being scared of everything. That’s no way to live.

It’s one of those things that is so incredibly rare you can’t prepare for it. The only way would be to stay out of all body’s of water not like a pool. It’s killed people is SC. I just can’t live life being scared of everything. That’s no way to live.
:eek::eek:

My wife and I were scheduled to fly down to Key West tomorrow, but we canceled last week.

1 case. Better shut down the borders and stop all travel. Everyone inside for another month.

STAY HOME !!!!!!!!Sick

I think about this when I see the DHEC fish consumption advisories. If eating more than one meal of fish from a body of water is bad for you how can swimming be OK? I haven't kept any fish from a major SC lake in a long time anyway.

Shouldn't we know where exactly it was discovered? I wouldn't even fish there.
Then don’t fish Santee but that’s not how the brain eating Amoeba works. It’s likely in every piece of water in the us in super small numbers. At least that’s what I remember from the old articles.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT