ADVERTISEMENT

If you could bring back one former player to join this team...

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
Which former Gamecock would you bring back to join and play with this team to help them. Give one offense and one defense.
My defense would be DJ Swearinger. This secondary needs someone pushing them and getting on them when they mess up other than the coaches. Also needs someone who other team knows is there and has to account for.
Offense would be Connor Shaw. His calm demeanor and his running ability would take this offense to another level. His throws were accurate, he never got to high or to low. His running ability made defenses have to account for him. Not knocking Bentley here, but Shaws running ability alone would make a world of difference to this team and its success and converitng third downs.

giphy.gif

So many that fit that bill from the last 8yrs.

Offense - Toss-up between Shaw and Lattimore

Defense - Obvious answer is Clowney, but MI6, DJ, and Skai were huge as well.

Clowney did cross my mind and thought about that one but I think this team is in more trouble in the secondary than they are on the d-line, especially with Wonnum back. Thats why I chose Swearinger
Same. Our DL is doing a good job getting pressure....worried a lot more about our safety play.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
So many that fit that bill from the last 8yrs.

Offense - Toss-up between Shaw and Lattimore

Defense - Obvious answer is Clowney, but MI6, DJ, and Skai were huge as well.
Went with Lattimore because we don't run the read-option anymore and Bentley can throw it. Just need an elite RB to hit the holes that our very improved OL is creating....few are more elite than Lattimore.

Conner Shaw, as elusive quarterback that could create when all other options were closed. A player that gave defense coordinators headaches when trying to add stop our offense.

Defense it's a toss up between Clowney and Swearinger.
Offense definitely Lattimore (have loved seeing him on the sidelines this season) or Ellington (because of how CLUTCH he was).

Which former Gamecock would you bring back to join and play with this team to help them. Give one offense and one defense.
My defense would be DJ Swearinger. This secondary needs someone pushing them and getting on them when they mess up other than the coaches. Also needs someone who other team knows is there and has to account for.
Offense would be Connor Shaw. His calm demeanor and his running ability would take this offense to another level. His throws were accurate, he never got to high or to low. His running ability made defenses have to account for him. Not knocking Bentley here, but Shaws running ability alone would make a world of difference to this team and its success and converitng third downs.
Ditto
Need some swagger

Lattimore had incredible vision to immediately see the holes. But didn't Big George make a hole where one didn't exist? Imagine how much more effective our passing game would be with a Heisman caliber rb in the backfield. On D, it's a toss-up between Clowney and Swearinger. Hard to not pick a freak like Clowney, but I would sure love to see some swagger on this team and NOBODY carries as much swagger as DJ.

What is big George now, 60? No way I’d bring him back at that age. And if we’re talking frozen in time George, I just don’t think it’s a good idea to make someone from 1980 have to learn about the Internet cold turkey.

Reactions: paladin181
If you bring back Big George, Bentley instantly becomes a better qb. No more pressure on him to carry the team and can you imagine how effective play action would be? On defense it has to be Clowney. No disrespect to Swearinger but Clowney is the only choice.

Spurrier! Didn't say he had to be former USC player! Bring SOS back with the same fire he had in the first 4yrs obviously not the last yr SOS! He proved it could be done!

Just for fun...Tanneyhill. Was gonna say Garcia, but that would take years off of Muschamp's coaching career.

This team, right now? Lattimore. I agree that based on this team’s needs, either a defensive back, a pass rusher, a QB or a RB are the obvious choices. I would be hoping that adding a great running back would not just make Jake’s job easier, he would make our defense better, by moving the chains and eating clock.
I understand why some would choose George. He was a dominant force. I think he would have been great in any era. However, I really think Marcus plays in a far more difficult era for bigger backs. D linemen, linebackers, and d backs are way bigger and stronger now. I think both backs running in this era would be close, but I take Marcus by a nose.

Connor Shaw. Didn’t throw int’s. Just won games.
Never could win the big game to get us into the SEC championship. Came up small on the road vs LSU and Florida in 2012 when just one win would have won the East and again in 2013 at Tennessee.

Lattimore for offense and Clowney for defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT