ADVERTISEMENT

If you could overturn one bad referee call (or no call)...

gamecockjosh

Aug 14, 2001
What would it be? You get the chance to overturn one call or lack thereof. Any sport.

I’d pick one that hurt me the worst. Rod Gardner would get called for pass interference and we would beat Clemson in 2000. That play still makes me mad so many years later.

I can think of some other recent ones that were pretty bad even this past year, but that’s my one pick.

To me there was an even more egregious call in that 2000 tater game. At the 5:09 mark with us down 13-7, we went for it on 4th and goal from the five yard line. That blind lowlife, Mike Washington, called Jermale Kelly for offensive PI, when the tater DB literally had Jermale by the left arm. He literally couldn't get his left arm up because the tater was holding it down! It should've been 1st and goal, but the taters got the ball! I farking hate clemmons and SEC referees!

To me there was an even more egregious call in that 2000 tater game. At the 5:09 mark with us down 13-7, we went for it on 4th and goal from the five yard line. That blind lowlife, Mike Washington, called Jermale Kelly for offensive PI, when the tater DB literally had Jermale by the left arm. He literally couldn't get his left arm up because the tater was holding it down! It should've been 1st and goal, but the taters got the ball! I farking hate clemmons and SEC referees!

2000 game was awful. Brian Scott TD negated by an offensive P.I. in the endzone. “Phantom” tipped pass by our DL negated an offensive P.I. against them which would have kept them out of FG range at the end of the first have. Based on the trajectory/distance of the pass, there is no one on our DL who had the height, reach, or jumping ability to have tipped that pass. Plus, it was still in a tight spiral when it landed!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Bad seed
N.C. State’s Eddie Leftwich mugging Bobby Cremins resulting in no-call in the 2nd OT of the 1970 ACC basketball finals. Ranks right up there with others for me!!

Reactions: pepsicock
What would it be? You get the chance to overturn one call or lack thereof. Any sport.

I’d pick one that hurt me the worst. Rod Gardner would get called for pass interference and we would beat Clemson in 2000. That play still makes me mad so many years later.

I can think of some other recent ones that were pretty bad even this past year, but that’s my one pick.

No way I can top this one. ^^^ Still scarred

If we can switch to basketball it was the US being robbed in the
Olympics by Russia when the ball was thrown out of bounds by Russia in 1972 with seconds to play, but was given it from out of bounds by the refs.

UGA's blocked punt vs. Bama in the National Championship. Tyler Simmons was not offsides.

Reactions: thisisnextyr
Cowboys were destined to win that game, Staubach would have just thrown a TD on the next play.
iu

Not that it would have made a difference but the hail mary pass right before half in the SEC championship game against Auburn. We were down by 7 and that pass was a gut punch. Never recovered...really didn't have anything to do with the refs but sure would have lover for them to take a knee instead.

Like the 2000 no-call on pass interference. Also like the 1986 at NC ST clock problem and no flag in the end zone. But I'll add one more. The failure to throw a flag on Todd Ellis' being thrown to the ground by Miami player, which cleared the benches.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Not a bad call, but one that ticked me off.

2007. UT jumped out to a 21-0 lead. We stormed back to outscore them 24-0 and take a 3 point lead late. 5 seconds to go in the game and had UT with a 4th and 10 from our 26 yard line. They lined up for the tying FG and missed...but a whistle was blown for false start. They backed up 5 yards, re-kicked, and it was good to send the game to OT.

In OT they nailed a FG. Ryan missed from 41.

Gut wrenching loss.

It wasn't a bad call, but it really ticked me off that they won b/c they committed a false start.

Holding last year against Bama. The pushoff, the phantom safety bs in MS when Holtz coached us, the ...I mean we are Carolina. We have been screwed over and over. We literally go to LSU 80% of the time. We have weak leadership.

2000 Clemson game as noted by many here. Our guys played their asses off in that game- against a pretty good Clemson team- and should have won. Man that sucked.

Here is a what if.....
What if the refs had gotten the first down call right against Michigan in the Outback Bowl?

The push 100% . Back then it was such a rarity to see an Offensive PI and we got hit with two of them and the most obvious one they missed . To this day I think that ref didn’t throw that flag because he knew he wouldn’t have left Death Valley in one piece .

Here is a what if.....
What if the refs had gotten the first down call right against Michigan in the Outback Bowl?
This is a tough one that I've wondered about a few times. We get the ball either way so does it play out differently? We obviously don't have all the recognition of the play blow up, but if you look at results a few years after it, did it really make any sort of difference in recruiting anyway? All said, I think I come to the conclusion that the end result doesn't change either way it goes both in that game and long term.

South Carolina Could have lost the game... Turned out to be one of the "BEST CALLS" ever in SC hisory, IMO.... look what it led to... all the press, the Espys, etc
Over the course of a game, things even out. It’s so rare that a call decides a game, and that only happens if the teams are very close in talent. I’ve officiated hundreds of games and the better teams wins 99% of the time.

Probably the "Push Off".
The ref tackling Garcia, but I doubt that would have altered the outcome of that game.

If was a flag football game at work. The rules was if your knee touch the ground you were down. The guy caught the ball on his knees and dive into the end zone and the ref given them a TD. It was the last play of the game and they won. It was for the championship at work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT