ADVERTISEMENT

If you were AD at USC. What would you do with Holbrooke if...

jeff2001

Apr 5, 2003
No tourney = fire him
Regional = 1 more year.
Supers = 1 more year.
Omaha = new contract.
Agree ?

Reactions: tailgatecock
You gotta let the scene play out now. If by some chance the team can catch fire down the stretch fine but don't extend his contract. I believe if things continue on this path Chad will resign anyway. I would like to see things get better but there's something missing. I'm not a Chad basher just a Gamecock baseball lover. It could be up to the team now to decide if they want Holbrook by getting their heads in the game or not.

Yeah, unless we have a miraculous finish, I just can't see the contract being extended. Question is, does/can that (negatively) affect recruiting the way a short remaining contract may for a fb or basketball coach? Or, is the USC Baseball brand big enough that it doesn't matter?

Yeah, unless we have a miraculous finish, I just can't see the contract being extended. Question is, does/can that (negatively) affect recruiting the way a short remaining contract may for a fb or basketball coach?
Since baseball classes aren't even ranked for a particular year until the guys are actually on campus, the draft hurts recruiting more. We'll still get guys because we're Carolina. We just need some kind of definitive decision made at the end of the season so these kids know what to expect over the next couple years.

Reactions: Anna_Nimmitty
I'm a little tougher about it, but only because he's had 5 years here and has one super regional and not a single trip to Omaha.

I'm inclined to say it's Omaha or bust just given his overall tenure here. However if he makes the super regionals, it would be hard to let him go. Anything less than Supers and he should be sent packing.

Although, all of this should be dependent on Tanner being confident he has at least two good options as replacements. As disappointing as Holbrook has been, he's not the worst coach in the world. It would be ridiculous to let a coach go if you didn't feel confident you can bring in a guy that is better.

No tourney = fire him
Regional = 1 more year.
Supers = 1 more year.
Omaha = new contract.
Agree ?
No Tourny = Gone
Regional = Gone
Supers = He can come back next year
Omaha = He can come back next year with a lot less scrutiny

Actually, the more I think about it, my response is incorrect. Surely, after 4.5 seasons, the AD should have seen enough of a coach's work to decide if he believes this coach can accomplish what is expected.
If I were Tanner, right now I DON"T think Holbrook can do it. I'm not doing anything until after the season is over, though. I know he can get us to regionals and super regionals. He has done that twice. But, I haven't seen anything to make me think he is capable of accomplishing more.
So, my new answer is: since we at USC expect to regularly compete for SEC Championships and trips to Omaha (notice, I didn't say we expect to win the SEC every year or go to Omaha every year), if Chad can't show me now that he can do these things, I need to make a change. Omaha or bust.

Last edited:
Reactions: USCAndy
I'm a little tougher about it, but only because he's had 5 years here and has one super regional and not a single trip to Omaha.

I'm inclined to say it's Omaha or bust just given his overall tenure here. However if he makes the super regionals, it would be hard to let him go. Anything less than Supers and he should be sent packing.

Although, all of this should be dependent on Tanner being confident he has at least two good options as replacements. As disappointing as Holbrook has been, he's not the worst coach in the world. It would be ridiculous to let a coach go if you didn't feel confident you can bring in a guy that is better.

Really surprised that people on this board can't count. It has only been four years; year five is not completed. There have been two (2) super regionals in those four years. Not one.

Reactions: jon#
Really surprised that people on this board can't count. It has only been four years; year five is not completed. There have been two (2) super regionals in those four years. Not one.

At this point anything short of Omaha and the guy will never win over this fanbase. if you want to see empty seats next year then keep him on

I think we end up being sent to someone else's regional. Lose that, and he will not be back next year.

Reactions: 67gamecock

Oh Nooooo! Not SilverSpur02: You're one of my favorite posters...You can't be defending Holbrook...What the heck is the world coming to? You are right of course...But the facts don't tell all...His first season super regional is because he inherited a great battle tested team from Tanner...Obviously Holbrook helped recruit and develop that squad...So he deserves some credit...But i will remind you how they lost the Super to UNC on some very shady management choices by Holbrook..Also, last season we were much more talented than OKSt...But Holliday coached circles around Holbrook...We punked out vs an inferior Maryland team that trash talked us before they got here...It's been only 4 years...We have to let this season play out...But it seems to me the once best program in the nation is spiraling down fast...Maybe they will prove me wrong and turn this thing around..But i see no evidence this team can play sound baseball with great focus and intensity...They seem to lull around and fold in the late innings in most big games

No one has even mentioned losing 3 straight series to Clemson... Just unacceptable

Consider the disgraceful fashion in which Holbrook gift wrapped this seasons tilt to the taters in what should have been a Gamecock sweep...Completely incompetent coaching...

Reactions: jon#
Oh Nooooo! Not SilverSpur02: You're one of my favorite posters...You can't be defending Holbrook...What the heck is the world coming to? You are right of course...But the facts don't tell all...His first season super regional is because he inherited a great battle tested team from Tanner...Obviously Holbrook helped recruit and develop that squad...So he deserves some credit...But i will remind you how they lost the Super to UNC on some very shady management choices by Holbrook..Also, last season we were much more talented than OKSt...But Holliday coached circles around Holbrook...We punked out vs an inferior Maryland team that trash talked us before they got here...It's been only 4 years...We have to let this season play out...But it seems to me the once best program in the nation is spiraling down fast...Maybe they will prove me wrong and turn this thing around..But i see no evidence this team can play sound baseball with great focus and intensity...They seem to lull around and fold in the late innings in most big games
Been a while since the UNC series. Could you refresh my memory on the management decisions you're alluding to? Biggest thing I remember was Shrock blowing up offensively and imploding defensively. For what its worth, I thought OK St. was the best team in Omaha last year, though the results obviously didn't show it. I tend to agree with everyone else though, unless something extraordenary happens and we win the East again this year, anything less than Supers make it very hard for Holbrook should he return considering the arms we are likely to lose.

No Tourny = Gone
Regional = Gone
Supers = He can come back next year
Omaha = He can come back next year with a lot less scrutiny

Actually, the more I think about it, my response is incorrect. Surely, after 4.5 seasons, the AD should have seen enough of a coach's work to decide if he believes this coach can accomplish what is expected.
If I were Tanner, right now I DON"T think Holbrook can do it. I'm not doing anything until after the season is over, though. I know he can get us to regionals and super regionals. He has done that twice. But, I haven't seen anything to make me think he is capable of accomplishing more.
So, my new answer is: since we at USC expect to regularly compete for SEC Championships and trips to Omaha (notice, I didn't say we expect to win the SEC every year or go to Omaha every year), if Chad can't show me now that he can do these things, I need to make a change. Omaha or bust.
I just dont see Tanner firing Holbrook even if we dont make tourney. It will put him in a tough spot because he knows he can't extend his contract and will frustrate the fans but he will use the injury excuse and the fact we were In the Supers last year. Like I've said, Ray is praying we make the tourney because it makes his life easier. If we do I say Chad gets an extension. This is all my personal opinion of Ray-not how I would necessarily do things.

Tanner won't fire him but he should.

While we're at it, Tanner himself needs to be under scrutiny.

I just dont see Tanner firing Holbrook even if we dont make tourney. It will put him in a tough spot because he knows he can't extend his contract and will frustrate the fans but he will use the injury excuse and the fact we were In the Supers last year. Like I've said, Ray is praying we make the tourney because it makes his life easier. If we do I say Chad gets an extension. This is all my personal opinion of Ray-not how I would necessarily do things.
You are probably correct. Though I wish he would hold the extension part.

I understand your perspective...You seem to think Ray doesn't know the team will be diminished in terms of pitching talent for 2018...If they fail to make the tourney this season, which is the likely scenario based on quality of play, they will not be improved in 2018...I doubt Tanner will place his own ass on the rack for Holbrook ...Tanner loves Gamecock baseball...I refuse to believe he will allow it to slide into the crapper, to keep from firing an incompetent friend..Maybe i am hoping beyond hope..But there is no doubt the program is sliding fast...If we were holding to a standard with a lot of young talent, i could see a patient approach...

You may very well be correct. I would hate to see it happen (keeping Chad, not winning games) and would be confused and irritated if Chad receives an extension for simply making it to a regional. I personally would most likely ditch Chad at the end of this season, but that doesn't mean I think Ray will.
Now, JMO, but if Chad misses the post-season and is retained, or makes the post-season and exits in mediocre fashion and receives and extension...I would expect a lot of new threads questioning the decision to place a life-long baseball coach in charge of a Power 5 athletic department.

Reactions: sclawman77
I understand your perspective...You seem to think Ray doesn't know the team will be diminished in terms of pitching talent for 2018...If they fail to make the tourney this season, which is the likely scenario based on quality of play, they will not be improved in 2018...I doubt Tanner will place his own ass on the rack for Holbrook ...Tanner loves Gamecock baseball...I refuse to believe he will allow it to slide into the crapper, to keep from firing an incompetent friend..Maybe i am hoping beyond hope..But there is no doubt the program is sliding fast...If we were holding to a standard with a lot of young talent, i could see a patient approach...
I'm with you. Next year could be much much worse.

Lawcalcock... thanks for the "you are one of my favorite posters". Not necessarily defending Holbrook. My thing is just let the season play out and then decide. People keep coming on here and making inaccurate statements because they hate him and other minions just jump right in. People keep comparing his four years to Ray's best ever three year stretch, and that's just not a realistic comparison (all though we all knew that would happen).
I don't like bashing any coaches on a message board. Look how silly the people who wanted Frank gone in February look now. If Holbrook makes a Super Regional, that will be three in five years. He's not going anywhere. If he doesn't make a regional, then that will be twice in three years. That's a huge problem and Ray will make the call.

Lawcalcock... thanks for the "you are one of my favorite posters". Not necessarily defending Holbrook. My thing is just let the season play out and then decide. People keep coming on here and making inaccurate statements because they hate him and other minions just jump right in. People keep comparing his four years to Ray's best ever three year stretch, and that's just not a realistic comparison (all though we all knew that would happen).
I don't like bashing any coaches on a message board. Look how silly the people who wanted Frank gone in February look now. If Holbrook makes a Super Regional, that will be three in five years. He's not going anywhere. If he doesn't make a regional, then that will be twice in three years. That's a huge problem and Ray will make the call.

Your argument is very rational and spot on..I am just frustrated beyond belief with Holbrook..It's more game management than anything else...Also our hitters lack of an effective approach at the plate has been bothersome the past few years...Holbrook has been winning...But the standards of our program are very high and must be maintained...I certainly hope things get turned around...I thought this team had the talent to get to Omaha..Hopefully they still will

No Omaha and he's out. The team has done nothing but got worse under Holbrook and he's lost the fans. He's just not ready for this kind of job

See...you say he's done nothing bot gotten worse...yet, he was in a super regional last season. No playoffs, sure, something may need to be done. Still...let's see how the season plays out.

Reactions: Silverspur02

Words out on Muschamp, but Holbroken has been a disaster. Tanner hasn't shown yet that he's capable of making a tough decision if need-be. His job should be under just as much scrutiny as Holbroken's IMO.

Our best coaches (Dawn and Frank) weren't his hires.

Your argument is very rational and spot on..I am just frustrated beyond belief with Holbrook..It's more game management than anything else...Also our hitters lack of an effective approach at the plate has been bothersome the past few years...Holbrook has been winning...But the standards of our program are very high and must be maintained...I certainly hope things get turned around...I thought this team had the talent to get to Omaha..Hopefully they still will

And I am right there with you. I am NOT a good loser, and the last few weeks has been very frustrating. Can't stand to watch a hitter take a strike three call. SWING the bat. PROTECT the plate. And for goodness sakes get a f#$&^%g bunt down.
This team needs something good to happen to them and get the bats turned around. They can do a lot of damage if they could create their own good luck and get on a roll. If not, I will be sitting in Cherry Grove the first couple of weeks in June instead of Founders Park.

Agree. An AD that wouldn't fire Martin when posters asked for his head late season should be under serious scrutiny.

Only a few trolls were asking for his head. It isn't hard not to fire a guy that is consistently improving a team year after year.

Nice try though

Only a few trolls were asking for his head. It isn't hard not to fire a guy that is consistently improving a team year after year.

Nice try though
We are agreeing with each other. Tanner should be on the hot seat for all his terrible hires / non-fires.

Please somebody explain to me how there is going to be any excitement going into next year whoever the coach is we are rebuilding look at who we will lose off this years team!!

Tanner won't fire him but he should.

While we're at it, Tanner himself needs to be under scrutiny.
Bullshit
Some of y'all have NO idea what you what you are talking about.

An AD whose women's BB wins a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, MBB goes to the Final Four, Football goes to a bowl game and baseball Hosts a Super in their previous seasons IS NOT UNDER SCRUITINY. ANYWHERE. They deserve, and just received, a contract extension. Glad morons don't run our school...

ADVERTISEMENT