ADVERTISEMENT

I'm ashamed to ask this, but what is do do ice?****

Don't be ashamed, Freddie, I don't know, either. I assume it has something to do with foul odors coming from melting ice in fountain drinks sold at W-B, but that's just a guess.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
It was rumored at one time that rat poop was found in some ice at WB. That's where it got its name I believe

I've been so hot at some games I'd drink the ice if the rat was still in it. Maybe that statement was a bit of a stretch but I've never noticed a smell other when we play Clemson but I don't think it was the ice.
I concur, I live next to some of the most rabid taters on the planet...the stench is overpowering......nice people though.

Reactions: abw2390
Yep, some foul smelling /tasting ice was used staduim wide about 10 years ago. It was multiple games, possibly whole season, before it improved.

Yep...the machines had probably not been cleaned. Pink &/or black mold & "slime" will grow/ build-up on the surfaces in the machine bins...particularly around the opening located in the top where the ice comes through the chute from the "ice maker" situated aboe the storage bin. Surfaces inside are always moist & plenty of warm air enters these machine cabinets. Plus, if you lift the door on the bin, there is a guide plate that comes down at about a 45 degree angle. It is designed so that as the ice falls onto it after coming through the chute, it (the plate) causes the ice to store in the bin by filling from back-to-front. The problem is that this plate obstructs the view of the chute opening & the other areas that make up the "ceiling" inside the bin. Out of sight, out of mind. This nasty, slimy mold just keeps growing until you have what amounts to stalactites hanging down & some get quite "impressive". If the proper & thorough cleaning of these machines is not maintained, you get some really BAD looking & smelling residue in the ice!!

Last edited:
Yep...the machines had probably not been cleaned. Pink &/or black mold & "slime" will grow/ build-up on the surfaces in the machine bins...particularly around the opening located in the top where the ice comes through the chute from the "ice maker" situated aboe the storage bin. Surfaces inside are always moist & plenty of warm air enters these machine cabinets. Plus, if you lift the door on the bin, there is a guide plate that comes down at about a 45 degree angle. It is designed so that as the ice falls onto it after coming through the chute, it (the plate) causes the ice to store in the bin by filling from back-to-front. The problem is that this plate obstructs the view of the chute opening & the other areas that make up the "ceiling" inside the bin. Out of sight, out of mind. This nasty, slimy mold just keeps growing until you have what amounts to stalactites hanging down & some get quite "impressive". If the proper & thorough cleaning of these machines is not maintained, you get some really BAD looking & smelling residue in the ice!!

After all these years....we've found the culprit/master mind.

Yep, some foul smelling /tasting ice was used staduim wide about 10 years ago. It was multiple games, possibly whole season, before it improved.

For several years the ice in the south end zone smelt and tasted like feces - hence doo doo ice. I stopped buying drinks with ice because they were not drinkable.

ADVERTISEMENT