ADVERTISEMENT

I'm more nervous about Sling TV

shorecock

Nov 15, 2008
Upstate
Forget the game! I'm more worried about the performance of my internet and Sling TV! It's the only thing I have to watch.

I hear ya. One my 7 day free trial. So far so good, but I haven't watched anything yet that's going to have the viewers this game will.

Know what you mean!
I've had it for over a week now and so far, no real problems. I do have 60 MB down speed from my ISP.
I think if your down speed is sufficient, you should be good. If for some reason it goes out, there are always many web sites that you can find that will be streaming the game.
Good luck!
I should add, that if you have the ability to hook up your internet with an ethernet cable, you should. You will usually get a much smoother and error free connection than using wifi.

Know what you mean!
I've had it for over a week now and so far, no real problems. I do have 60 MB down speed from my ISP.
I think if your down speed is sufficient, you should be good. If for some reason it goes out, there are always many web sites that you can find that will be streaming the game.
Good luck!
I should add, that if you have the ability to hook up your internet with an ethernet cable, you should. You will usually get a much smoother and error free connection than using wifi.

60???!! Wow, I've been clocking mine over the last 2 weeks and only average about 32. :(

60???!! Wow, I've been clocking mine over the last 2 weeks and only average about 32. :(

I've got Charter Spectrum in NC. It is supposed to be 60 but I average around 64 MB down and around 4 up.
Cancelled my TV service and saved over $100 a month for the Silver package with sports and SEC Network.
I will add the sports package to Sling for $5 extra a month when SEC Network starts showing Gamecock sports.
Can't beat the deal and my picture is just as good or better.

You should be fine with 30 MB down.

Reactions: shorecock
I hear ya. One my 7 day free trial. So far so good, but I haven't watched anything yet that's going to have the viewers this game will.

Me too. (Tired of getting nickeled and dimed by Verizon FIOS.) The Sling TV app seems to be working okay so far (watched a little bit of the US Open through it), but we are supposed to be able to use the Watch ESPN app through the Sling TV account and that is not working for me so far.

A little tidbit for those who have cut the cord or are using Roku.
You can add a "channel" to your Roku called Channel Pear. For a free account, you can add up to 5 free channels to your Channel Pear account for Roku.
Under these free channels, you will be able to add the NFL Network. (There are 100 or so other channels.) For free.
That's how I will be watching the 49'er game tonight. :)

You can switch out the channels you want to show under Channel Pear at will on the web site, but it will only let you add 5 at one time for a free account.

https://channelpear.freshdesk.com/s...tall-the-channel-pear-private-channel-on-roku

Last edited:
Reactions: shorecock
Sling worked good last night. Had a few times where the picture quality went down, but only lasted a few seconds. I did notice that going into commercials it seemed to stop, repeat the last few seconds and then go to commercial. Anyone else see that?

Sling worked good last night. Had a few times where the picture quality went down, but only lasted a few seconds. I did notice that going into commercials it seemed to stop, repeat the last few seconds and then go to commercial. Anyone else see that?
Yes, It did the same on my TV. Over all it works fine for the price.

Yes, I noticed that too. Also, I think ESPN was having a technical difficulty or two during the game.
But for the most part, Sling worked well for me.

Forget the game! I'm more worried about the performance of my internet and Sling TV! It's the only thing I have to watch.

Sling TV worked very well for me last night during the game. I had the occasional "resets" but the picture quality was very good. We did not miss any of the game. Comparing the $25 with what I was getting ripped off in $ by Directv, it is just great in my opinion. I did install an ethernet cable between the internet router and my Roku 2 box rather that use the wifi connection. That makes it much more reliable and effective.

Last edited:
Additionally, if you are running it through a Roku box (or something similar), rather than a stick, the box has a processor that will buffer as much signal as it has memory making your playback much smoother.
I'm using a Roku 2. The only difference between the Roku 2 and 3 are voice search and head phone capability through the remote. Same processor and memory in the 2 and 3.

I may need to try using an ethernet cable as the picture quality got a little grainy and pixelated at times in the second half using my Amazon Fire Stick. Still, as others have said, it beats the heck out of paying for traditional cable TV! Now if I could just find a viable source of high speed internet, I could kick Time Warner to the curb completely....

A little tidbit for those who have cut the cord or are using Roku.
You can add a "channel" to your Roku called Channel Pear. For a free account, you can add up to 5 free channels to your Channel Pear account for Roku.
Under these free channels, you will be able to add the NFL Network. (There are 100 or so other channels.) For free.
That's how I will be watching the 49'er game tonight. :)

You can switch out the channels you want to show under Channel Pear at will on the web site, but it will only let you add 5 at one time for a free account.

https://channelpear.freshdesk.com/s...tall-the-channel-pear-private-channel-on-roku
Hey whirledps1, I don't understand the "working URL" so I can media to my library...any help?

Hey whirledps1, I don't understand the "working URL" so I can media to my library...any help?

Sure.
I was confused by that at first also.
With you being logged into the Channel Pear page, at the top of the page, look for "Media DB". This will show you a list of all things available to add to your library. Just click on a "channel" you want to add and the link will open giving you the option to click on "Add to my library". That's it.
You are allowed to pair 2 different devices (Roku's) and have 5 different channels in your library for a free account. Just switch them out if you want to add others.
Good luck!

I should explain about the URL part.
If you go into the "Community" link, and "Sources", people post links to other channels. These you can copy and paste into the "Add Media" pop-up. for channels not listed in the Media DB.
The most current and working links can usually be found on the Media DB page. Sometimes the links die quickly and the ones on that page are updated, usually daily.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT