ADVERTISEMENT

I'm neither for nor against...

michaeltsims

Oct 10, 2002
Lexington, SC
promoting from within. I honestly do not know the capabilities of our current staff enough to know whether or not they should be trusted with such a position. But to hear so many people instantly knock the potential promotion of one of our own simply because they've never held the OC title before is silly. The current national champs promoted a WR coach to head coach and have done quite well with him I think. How many of these rock star coordinators whose names are being tossed around right now were simply position coaches promoted within their schools a couple of years ago?

I understand some people preferring not to gamble and rather would go make a hire of someone with a track record. I might even agree, especially if we have a chance with a homerun type candidate.

But you can't just say with certainty that hiring from within will be the wrong move and will be the end of Muschamp's head coaching career. I'd much rather promote a B'Mac or Bently and have the success the upstate team has had than go out and hire a Charlie Weiss, 'proven' commodity and flop. But I'm not in a position to know the details of each person's skill set, temperament, etc. to know if they deserve a shot. Neither are most of you. So stop talking like you know every detail and fact. We're all just giving opinions and guessing at this point.

I think the bowl game may be a temp to hire spot for BMac. If I were Boom I would be hot after a young current OC with a record of putting up yards and scores. Surely we can get one of the half dozen being bandied bout to take the job. I am afraid that hiring someone here without a proven tried and proven offensive system just gets a slightly different shade of gray. You are right though...I don't know...just an opinion.

Reactions: IPOC369
It’s interesting. And the bowl game is hard to gauge success because you get a month to scheme and plan who you’re playing but also Michigan is probably gonna be one of the best defenses we’ve played so scoring say two touchdowns would be an improvement from this year. In a bowl season they won’t be able to change the playbook by no means but is McClendon if hired as OC will he do a Read RPO thing or is he more of a up tempo. What’s his philosophy? Guessing being at UGA for a while you would think more pro style? But we don’t have the lineman or recruiting of lineman for that offense.

I do like McClendon and he might turn into the world's best OC eventually, but he's obviously unproven. So at the end of the day I'm with you guys; I have no idea and can see some potential pitfalls with going either direction.

But I did just want to say this: lots of folks seemed OK with Whammy right after the Capital One Bowl. "Just like Ellis Johnson but a bit more aggressive!" Ugh :eek:

promoting from within. I honestly do not know the capabilities of our current staff enough to know whether or not they should be trusted with such a position. But to hear so many people instantly knock the potential promotion of one of our own simply because they've never held the OC title before is silly. The current national champs promoted a WR coach to head coach and have done quite well with him I think. How many of these rock star coordinators whose names are being tossed around right now were simply position coaches promoted within their schools a couple of years ago?

I understand some people preferring not to gamble and rather would go make a hire of someone with a track record. I might even agree, especially if we have a chance with a homerun type candidate.

But you can't just say with certainty that hiring from within will be the wrong move and will be the end of Muschamp's head coaching career. I'd much rather promote a B'Mac or Bently and have the success the upstate team has had than go out and hire a Charlie Weiss, 'proven' commodity and flop. But I'm not in a position to know the details of each person's skill set, temperament, etc. to know if they deserve a shot. Neither are most of you. So stop talking like you know every detail and fact. We're all just giving opinions and guessing at this point.

If you can't see the inherent problems of promoting Bentley to that position then you're not .......I don't know how to phase this without being rude so I'll stop there.

As for B'mac, you're right we , the fans, don't know enough about him to know whether that would be a good move. What we do know is that he was an integral part of one of the worst offenses most of us have ever seen and the last time we moved a position coach to a coordinator position, it turn out awful. Remember Whammy. From the outside looking in, it appears that a fresh start is needed. Jmho

Btw, who here is talking like they know every details. I thought you post sounded very pragmatic to that point. You kind of went off the rails there.

Simple let him do it...On a tentative type format.If he rips it...Let him do it...The bowl game is a very bad gauge but if we win 65-3 Then that is telling enough.

If you can't see the inherent problems of promoting Bentley to that position then you're not .......I don't know how to phase this without being rude so I'll stop there.

As for B'mac, you're right we , the fans, don't know enough about him to know whether that would be a good move. What we do know is that he was an integral part of one of the worst offenses most of us have ever seen and the last time we moved a position coach to a coordinator position, it turn out awful. Remember Whammy. From the outside looking in, it appears that a fresh start is needed. Jmho

Btw, who here is talking like they know every details. I thought you post sounded very pragmatic to that point. You kind of went off the rails there.

Oh, i could definitely see some potential father/son issues. I'm not denying that their wouldn't be. But there are other coaches on college staffs today whose sons are a part of the team, and they manage them with integrity and responsibility. Is Bently mature enough to handle that? I don't know. I do not know him like that.

Has a successful coordinator ever been on a less-than-impressive staff, and then gone on to go amazing things? Yep. Could B-Mac do that as well? I don't know. I do not know him like that.

My point was simply, when i posted this morning there were a number of posts, and comments under posts, that were very 'absolute'. People were sure of the direction the program needs to move and were unable to see from the other perspective on why someone's opinion differed from their own. That happens a lot on this board. But we, being of the meeting rooms and without personally knowing these people, can't 'know' what's best for this program. We can only share our opinions. So lets not jump down someone's throat for not seeing things exactly the way we see them.

BTW, I agree with you. If it were up to me, which it's not, I would prefer to go outside the program for our new OC. I think we need a new set of eyes, new leadership, and new direction. I think we need someone that can get offensive recruits to get excited to play in their system.

But I am not going to insult someone for not agreeing with my stance when I do not have all the info that our head coach and admin does.

Reactions: Brooster

Mumbles was promoted from within the same year Veneables was hired at Clemson. Nuff said.

Reactions: NetworkX
The question i have about Bentley is has any other college or university ever been interested in him other than the one his son is playing at? Also you would think that even though he is not the offcial q.b. coach, he would have said,tried or done something to slow down or stop Jakes regression at sum point over the last year if he knew a way to help him.I dont know much about him so i cant say if he is a asset or not but based on what lil ive seen or read im not overly impressed

The question i have about Bentley is has any other college or university ever been interested in him other than the one his son is playing at? Also you would think that even though he is not the offcial q.b. coach, he would have said,tried or done something to slow down or stop Jakes regression at sum point over the last year if he knew a way to help him.I dont know much about him so i cant say if he is a asset or not but based on what lil ive seen or read im not overly impressed
Clemson didn't hire him as QB coach when he applied for the position 10+ years ago.

Reactions: joplin gamecock1
Clemson didn't hire him as QB coach when he applied for the position 10+ years ago.
While it may not seems as important, you guys need a top notch quarterback coach. Even though Morris recruited Watson, his departure was probably the best thing that ever happened to Watson. Clemson hired a dedicated QB coach when he left. No more OC/QB stuff. The position is just too important in today' offenses.

While it may not seems as important, you guys need a top notch quarterback coach. Even though Morris recruited Watson, his departure was probably the best thing that ever happened to Watson. Clemson hired a dedicated QB coach when he left. No more OC/QB stuff. The position is just too important in today' offenses.
Problem is that it seems most OCs are also QB coaches. With the new 10th coach, that may be more likely than it used to be.

Problem is that it seems most OCs are also QB coaches. With the new 10th coach, that may be more likely than it used to be.
True. But that' where the HC has to dictate what' going to happen. I was listening to Tajh Boyd today talk about how he wished he had had a dedicated QB coach. Said he missed out on important development because Morris was both OC/QB coach. Pointed to how even Cole (three and out) Stoudt) improved in just one month between the last game of the year and the Russel Ath bowl

Simple let him do it...On a tentative type format.If he rips it...Let him do it...The bowl game is a very bad gauge but if we win 65-3 Then that is telling enough.

If we win by that margin, I'll offer to bear McClendon's children.

The interesting thing is, Muschamp knows the reality that he is putting his future as a P5 head coach on the line with this hire. If he hits a home run (even a stand-up triple) the Florida debacle and the "Roper Experiment" will be long forgotten. Another swing and a miss with his 4th OC (or is it 5th?) and I don't see him lasting more than 3 years. At that point, I doubt he will be able to get another P5 gig for quite some time.

Reactions: king ward
Oh, i could definitely see some potential father/son issues. I'm not denying that their wouldn't be. But there are other coaches on college staffs today whose sons are a part of the team, and they manage them with integrity and responsibility. Is Bently mature enough to handle that? I don't know. I do not know him like that.

Has a successful coordinator ever been on a less-than-impressive staff, and then gone on to go amazing things? Yep. Could B-Mac do that as well? I don't know. I do not know him like that.

My point was simply, when i posted this morning there were a number of posts, and comments under posts, that were very 'absolute'. People were sure of the direction the program needs to move and were unable to see from the other perspective on why someone's opinion differed from their own. That happens a lot on this board. But we, being of the meeting rooms and without personally knowing these people, can't 'know' what's best for this program. We can only share our opinions. So lets not jump down someone's throat for not seeing things exactly the way we see them.
Is that you Champ/Bmac/Bentley?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT