ADVERTISEMENT

I'm predicting Josh Belk will get waiver

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
Mr. Belk will get his waiver and play ball for the Gamecocks this season!!! My prediction is based on all the other waivers granted this summer by the NCAA

Having him for D line depth would be huge. If what Dabo said about him this spring is true, then we could definitely use him this year. I believe we really have a chance to be real good this year and it always starts at the line of scrimmage.

I didn't even know this waiver had been requested. I haven't seen anything about this being a possibility. Perhaps I've just missed it. But are you sure this is even a thing?

NCAA is historicaly against us. We have never gotten a favorable decision from them and don't expect ever to do so. This establishment needs an overhaul period. We don't have anyone who works there like many of our rivals do.

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. The rules on immediate eligibility seem to be a bit befuddled with the recent changes and they aren't spending any time explaining their most recent decisions. Seems like it would be easier for the student-athletes to at least have an idea on the decision making process.
I wouldn't be surprised if Belk could play next year but certainly wouldn't bet any money on it.

The RB from Ohio St. Williams that transferred to UNC was just cleared to play this year. Be interesting to see how the Belk situation works out.

The RB from Ohio St. Williams that transferred to UNC was just cleared to play this year. Be interesting to see how the Belk situation works out.
Didn't he transfer mid-year? I think the Belk situation will be handled more like the Demitris Robertson transfer to Georgia from Cal. That's the one I'm looking at to get an indication.

Chester's News and reported, had a nice update on 7/24

https://www.onlinechester.com/content/belk-will-file-immediate-eligibility-petition-next-month

Belk files on 8/2,

Belk will file immediate eligibility petition next month

By Travis Jenkins
Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 10:43 pm (Updated: July 25, 12:40 am)

Josh Belk will definitely be a student at the University of South Carolina this fall. He’ll have to wait to find out whether or not he will also be on the active roster of the Gamecocks football team.

Belk made national news in May when he announced his intentions to transfer out of Clemson University. The highly touted defensive line prospect had graduated early from Lewisville and enrolled at classes in Clemson in January. He had a good first semester academically and was turning heads with his play in spring practice. The decision to leave the Tigers was prompted by a family illness that left him wanting to be closer to home. Clemson Coach Dabo Swinney granted him an unconditional release, meaning he could transfer to any other school. That is a rare occurrence, particularly for players of Belk’s stature. Typically, the school a player is transferring from puts restrictions on where the player can go, usually limiting it to locations out-of-state and out-of-conference. Belk thanked Swinney and Clemson for that decision and said he had nothing bad to say about the program. He visited the University of Georgia because of an existing relationship with a coach there, but ultimately did the expected and announced his intention to enroll at the University of South Carolina. The Gamecocks coaching staff had recruited him hard before his January 2017 commitment to Clemson.

Once Belk made that decision, the next order of business was to attempt to become eligible to play this season. Transfers normally have to sit out a year, but Belk and attorney Everett Stubbs, who has helped Belk with the transfer process, said they planned to pursue a hardship waiver. On Monday, the News & Reporter inquired about the status of that process. Stubbs said the plan is for Belk to enroll in school on August 2. He will file a petition for immediate eligibility then.

“My understanding is that he has to enroll before he can request immediate eligibility,” Stubbs said.

There is no definitive timeline on when the NCAA might rule on Belk’s petition.

After battling injuries his first three years at Lewisville, Belk had a dominant senior campaign. Playing defensive tackle he recorded 115 tackles, 34 tackles-for-loss, 11 sacks and seven forced fumbles. He also played on the offensive line and was an occasional power back at Lewisville, where he also competed in track and field and basketball. He was an Army All-American selection.

Mr. Belk will get his waiver and play ball for the Gamecocks this season!!! My prediction is based on all the other waivers granted this summer by the NCAA

I bet you’re right, I also bet we get it on Dec.1, 2018. (There is a process that takes time if you’re not UNC or Norte Dame)

Last edited:
If Belk gets to play this year, the 2018 "FGF attorney of the year award" should go to Everett Stubbs

tenor.gif

I think his visit to UGA and discussions with UT hurt his chances on getting this waiver under the grounds for which he applied. Had he come in and directly enrolled at USC, he might have had a better chance.
Did he actually visit any other schools or did he just speak to coaches? It's one thing to take a phone call, its another to hop in a car and go visit. The calls he can just say were other schools asking him to visit. If he told them no then that strengthens his case.

Did he actually visit any other schools or did he just speak to coaches? It's one thing to take a phone call, its another to hop in a car and go visit. The calls he can just say were other schools asking him to visit. If he told them no then that strengthens his case.

Pretty sure he visited UGA. I think Tennessee was just phone conversations.

Clem I will give you my serious take and prediction, and very sound logic, I don't know if you had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Everett Stubbs, but he is a dead ringer for one Penn Jillette better known as Penn from Penn & Teller.

I understand from friends in the Chester area, Mr. Stubbs does not take No for an answer

Thus I Expect a little magic here, and Belk plays:

The real Everett Stubbs, Gamecocks please use his practice if you are in need of legal services in the Chester area, tell him Gradstudent referred you, he will have no clue who you are talking about

Everett-Stubbs-819x1024.jpg

Penn Jillette
giphy.gif

Last edited:
Pretty sure he visited UGA. I think Tennessee was just phone conversations.

Seems like I read an article about the reason for the UGA visit. I'll share it if I can find it.

Heck, it was in @Gradstudent 's post above.

Here's another story about it. Doesn't sound like he was serious about going there but who knows. These kids aren't always 100% honest or 100% sure.

"As for the Georgia visit, Belk said the Bulldogs' defensive line coach Tray Scott recruited him when he was at North Carolina and they developed a close relationship.

"It's just because he reached out to me," Belk said. "Even if I don't end up coming there, he wants me to come there and show me the facilities and talk to me."

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...-kornblut/article211729384.html#storylink=cpy

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the Josh Belk article again, and something really stood out. He said he had a closet full of Carolina stuff, and he was 100% USC ... right up to the week he committed to Clemson. So, what was offered by Clemson to get him to betray his own heart, and sign with Clemson?

Now I know everybody that knows nothing will say cash, lakefront living, car, etc... , but do any of you seriously know what was offered to change his intention to commit to us?

I read the Josh Belk article again, and something really stood out. He said he had a closet full of Carolina stuff, and he was 100% USC ... right up to the week he committed to Clemson. So, what was offered by Clemson to get him to betray his own heart, and sign with Clemson?

Now I know everybody that knows nothing will say cash, lakefront living, car, etc... , but do any of you seriously know what was offered to change his intention to commit to us?

Chance to play for a championship, surrounded by future NFL linemen? He used his head instead of his heart.

Or sold him on two top notch DL coaches that ended up leaving and weren't replaced by coaches of equal caliber.

When he committed, everybody knew the DL coach was retiring. The DE coach left for the NFL shortly after. He was a 3* DT from a small town when he committed, and a team with that level of talent on DL wanted him. No mystery there.

Anyone who thinks Clemson isn't rolling and doesn't have specific angles in its pitch to get a commitment from a player intended to go to Carolina, has really thick garnet glasses on right now, LOL

There is a definite pitch they can use, just as we have one, called playing time and not sitting on the bench and yes you can play your desired position when we go head to head with them the past few years, and you can play with a bunch of players you know vs a bunch of strangers from around country

Ok I added the last part

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks Clemson isn't rolling and doesn't have specific angles in its pitch to get a commitment from a player intended to go to Carolina, has really thick garnet glasses on right now, LOL

There is a definite pitch they can use, just as we have one, called playing time and not sitting on the bench and yes you can play your desired position when we go head to head with them the past few years, and you can play with a bunch of players you know vs a bunch of strangers from around country

Ok I added the last part

all you said is true!! But they still cheat!! They are very good at it!!!

Reactions: NetworkX
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT