ADVERTISEMENT

I'm sure that Alex Murdaugh is not a flight risk

That’s such a weird family. How were they ever “prominent”?

Were they actually prominent? Before this case had anyone really heard of them? There are a lot of rich people that aren't important or famous.

Sounds to me these are just random lawyers who were greedy and thought money could get them out of anything

Random question did they support Carolina or Clemson in anyway?

Were they actually prominent? Before this case had anyone really heard of them? There are a lot of rich people that aren't important or famous.

Sounds to me these are just random lawyers who were greedy and thought money could get them out of anything

The media keeps saying they’re one of the most prominent families in SC but no ones ever heard of them that I know of lol I heard he was in the gamecock club but who knows. Probably paid dues with money he stole from daddy or something.

The media keeps saying they’re one of the most prominent families in SC but no ones ever heard of them that I know of lol I heard he was in the gamecock club but who knows. Probably paid dues with money he stole from daddy or something.

I think the media has played up the word prominent to create a better story. There are hundreds of millionaire lawyers in SC.

When I think of prominent families I think of the ones with deep political tiss that have gone on for generations in this state.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Not quite sure that Prominent is the totally correct description. But I have talked to few attorney friends and local Beaufort friends about this family and got the same information. Not really known state wide but the Murdaugh's and that law firm have had a strangle hold on many of the legal affairs of Hampton County. Meaning they could get local law enforcement to look the other way and fix the outcome of most any jury trial their clients were involved in. And this has been going on for many years.

Last edited:
I think the media has played up the word prominent to create a better story. There are hundreds of millionaire lawyers in SC.

When I think of prominent families I think of the ones with deep political tiss that have gone on for generations in this state.
The only thing that makes it a prominent family is that he's the third generation of Murdaugh's to serve as solicitor for their district. I can't imagine the crap this family has gotten away with over the years. The good ol' boy system was in effect until SLED was called and media started digging.

The only thing that makes it a prominent family is that he's the third generation of Murdaugh's to serve as solicitor for their district. I can't imagine the crap this family has gotten away with over the years. The good ol' boy system was in effect until SLED was called and media started digging.

It is always the kids who didn't have to work as hard as the first generation who screws things up. The first generation probably were ok, but spoiled kids who didn't have to work for much or struggle can't react well to real life

I am from the upstate….have lots of friends in the low country….never heard of this family until the murder story broke. They were prominent in their area, and it’s an intriguing story…..but they weren’t household names before

I saw a picture of them at a Carolina game in Carolina gear

It is always the kids who didn't have to work as hard as the first generation who screws things up. The first generation probably were ok, but spoiled kids who didn't have to work for much or struggle can't react well to real life
Yes, they become entitled to the point they think they can do anything with no consequences. But their parents don't do them any favors as they're bailed out of every situation. Like Ted Kennedy.

I have relatives in Hampton County. For almost 100 years nothing happened in Hampton County in the legal system without the Murdaugh family and/or law firm being involved somehow. If you were going against that law firm, it was near impossible to win, especially when a jury was involved. Definitely big fish in a small pond though ...

I have relatives in Hampton County. For almost 100 years nothing happened in Hampton County in the legal system without the Murdaugh family and/or law firm being involved somehow. If you were going against that law firm, it was near impossible to win, especially when a jury was involved. Definitely big fish in a small pond though ...
I grew up in Hampton county (and I'm pretty much the same age as Alex). I understand that people outside the Lowcountry had never heard of the Murdaughs. Most lawyer-types aren't exactly celebrities. But, its entirely accurate to describe them as a prominent family in S.C. legal circles. The influence and power they have wielded in their corner of the world is astounding.

I think powerful instead of prominent might be the correct term.They are so well connected in the legal community that when the boat crash occurred they had to go all the way to Horry county to find a judge that didn't recuse themselves.Read the 2002 Forbes article to see how the law firm and family got so powerful.

I grew up in Hampton county (and I'm pretty much the same age as Alex). I understand that people outside the Lowcountry had never heard of the Murdaughs. Most lawyer-types aren't exactly celebrities. But, its entirely accurate to describe them as a prominent family in S.C. legal circles. The influence and power they have wielded in their corner of the world is astounding.
Don't know anyone who knows them personally and socializes with them, but through word of mouth (small town with a good many CSX employees) I've definitely heard about them previous to all of this. When one of the guys got hurt here, every one of them used PMPED. It's a slam dunk. Know several guys that have gotten large settlements. They've got everyone in the bag (or did in years past) in Hampton county.

• Wow
Reactions: LakewoodCock

I saw a picture of them at a Carolina game in Carolina gear
Dude, Alex Murdaugh was a walk-on at Carolina back when I was there! He was #27, and there is actually a copy of the 88 team photo over at TBS. If I have time I'll post a link to that very photo in reference, and of wich he is blatantly obvious!!

Dude, Alex Murdaugh was a walk-on at Carolina back when I was there! He was #27, and there is actually a copy of the 88 team photo over at TBS. If I have time I'll post a link to that very photo in reference, and of wich he is blatantly obvious!!
Oh that’s cool

Not quite sure that Prominent is the totally correct description. But I have talked to few attorney friends and local Beaufort friends about this family and got the same information. Not really known state wide but the Murdaugh's and that law firm have had a strangle hold on many of the legal affairs of Hampton County. Meaning they could get local law enforcement to look the other way and fix the outcome of most any jury trial their clients were involved in. And this has been going on for many years.
Hampton....and Jasper, Beaufort, and Colleton.

Don't know anyone who knows them personally and socializes with them, but through word of mouth (small town with a good many CSX employees) I've definitely heard about them previous to all of this. When one of the guys got hurt here, every one of them used PMPED. It's a slam dunk. Know several guys that have gotten large settlements. They've got everyone in the bag (or did in years past) in Hampton county.
The lawyer that primarily handles those CSX claims is very good and represents clients up and down the eastern seaboard.

If you don't know the family don't you think it's unfair and reckless to run them down? I get the one who's been charged, but the whole family? I guess all y'all's families have no sketchy characters.

If you don't know the family don't you think it's unfair and reckless to run them down? I get the one who's been charged, but the whole family? I guess all y'all's families have no sketchy characters.
Ive never heard anything bad about Randolph IV ("Rusty") or his family at all. Randolph II (the original "Buster") was a good judge and prosecutor, from everything I've heard. He had an article posted on the outside of his judge's chamber regarding the collegial nature of the Charleston and Spartanburg bars with his hand written note at the bottom stating something along the lines of "Why can't the Beaufort County bar be the same."

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: LakewoodCock

They are very well known here in the lowcountry, definitely big Gamecock supporters. I’ve seen them at plenty of football games and actually saw Alex his wife and son Paul together at a Carolina baseball game two days before they were shot.

...actually saw Alex his wife and son Paul together at a Carolina baseball game two days before they were shot.
WADR, but what with what all has occurred since that specific date, that's a fairly morbid statement right there now!!

Oh, and nothin' personal, mind you. By no means do I mean to judge you, rather just an observation from an outside perspective!!

I just read that the insurance paid $4million on the dead housekeeper, Alex kept the money himself and convinced the sons to sue him. Had his buddy represent them. He settled the wrongful death with them for $500K. His buddy got $100k in fees. The two sons never got a penny. This cat is pretty slick. I wonder what else he has done?

I just read that the insurance paid $4million on the dead housekeeper, Alex kept the money himself and convinced the sons to sue him. Had his buddy represent them. He settled the wrongful death with them for $500K. His buddy got $100k in fees. The two sons never got a penny. This cat is pretty slick. I wonder what else he has done?
WTF? He took out a $4M policy on his housekeeper? How the heck did the insurance company not investigate this? That should've raised red flags all over the place.

WTF? He took out a $4M policy on his housekeeper? How the heck did the insurance company not investigate this? That should've raised red flags all over the place.
I mean really!!! The ONLY WAY that could've happened would be if SEVERAL within the insurance company, and I do mean several WAY UP the chain of command, several within the "managerial" area of the chain of command would have HAD TO HAVE BEEN SILENT BENEFICIARIES of the payout as-well!!

I mean there just ain't no other way!!

Opine anyone?? Anyone?? Beuller? Beuller?? Beuller???

Reactions: rogue cock
Insurance is going to pay out to the beneficiary. The company isnt going to give the money to someone and trust they’ll pay them. They give it to the beneficiary themselves.

I mean really!!! The ONLY WAY that could've happened would be if SEVERAL within the insurance company, and I do mean several WAY UP the chain of command, several within the "managerial" area of the chain of command would have HAD TO HAVE BEEN SILENT BENEFICIARIES of the payout as-well!!

I mean there just ain't no other way!!

Opine anyone?? Anyone?? Beuller? Beuller?? Beuller???
Not on her, he had an umbrella policy that paid the $4 million To him.

And speaking of insurance money..... I've wondered if there was an insurance claim involved with his wife and son's deaths. Surely, it has been looked into, but I have not seen where anyone has addressed this. Anyone know?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT