ADVERTISEMENT

IMO a major flaw with Rivals football evals.

Judson1

Jul 31, 2008
I was looking through the 2019 Rivals 250. Amazed the state of Georgia has 29 in that list. South Carolina..... 1.

South Carolina has long been known as a state that produces NFL talent per capita on par with any other state. I’m aware of Georgia’s population vs ours but in no way do I buy there are 28 kids in Georgia better than any kid in SC.
Along the border here I can attest that when a SC school plays one from Georgia that SC usually comes out on top. The Border Bowl in Augusta, although relatively new, has a 3-2 SC advantage even though the “city/population” is on the Ga side.
Rivals obviously has some dead zones in player evaluations in this state. I simply don’t believe the info they have out in regards to SC talent.

I agree. All I can figure is that the Georgia kids have more access to camps in Atlanta, and or there are more talent evaluators in Georgia.

Theres is absolutely no way there are 29 players better than our 2nd rated player in SC.

Isn't that to SC's advantage? If the home kids are underrated, it is easier to keep them home. Fewer Urban Meyer's showing up, etc.

Reactions: rogue cock
Well known factors that influence a Rivals ranking:
-Kids who commit later get a ratings bump
-Kids with offers from powerhouse programs get an automatic bump
-Kids being recruited by schools with large fanbases willing to pay for recruiting information get a bump
-Kids who will work with Rivals, ie time their announcement in a way that's advantageous for them, get a bump

Well known factors that influence a Rivals ranking:
-Kids who commit later get a ratings bump
-Kids with offers from powerhouse programs get an automatic bump
-Kids being recruited by schools with large fanbases willing to pay for recruiting information get a bump
-Kids who will work with Rivals, ie time their announcement in a way that's advantageous for them, get a bump

Hmmmm . . . you and the other posters above may be on to something: the reasoning behind Boom's recruiting philosophy. Makes sense to me if evaluation is truly a key factor in recruiting success.

Reactions: rogue cock
Hmmmm . . . you and the other posters above may be on to something: the reasoning behind Boom's recruiting philosophy. Makes sense to me if evaluation is truly a key factor in recruiting success.
Agreed. The part I'd like to know is how much major coaches themselves rely on these services to become initially aware of prospects. I'm sure they do their own evals but no one has time to intensively scout the whole country. I bet there are some coaches that are lazier/dumber that get suckered into the same pay recruiting sites we do. It's also well known that if youre the parent of a prospect you can pay to have him/her appear on recruiting lists and sites

Agreed. The part I'd like to know is how much major coaches themselves rely on these services to become initially aware of prospects. I'm sure they do their own evals but no one has time to intensively scout the whole country. I bet there are some coaches that are lazier/dumber that get suckered into the same pay recruiting sites we do. It's also well known that if youre the parent of a prospect you can pay to have him/her appear on recruiting lists and sites
The head coach isn't out there trying to recruit all these kids by himself. He has an entire staff devoted just to recruiting 24/7/365. Each assistant coach is responsible for an area as well. I can assure you they don't rely on Wimp Geekerly at some website to help evaluate players. They do their own evaluations and decide who they want to invite into their camps. They personally evaluate each player at their camps and only sign players from this group. Every player signed this year attended a USC football camp.

I was looking through the 2019 Rivals 250. Amazed the state of Georgia has 29 in that list. South Carolina..... 1.

South Carolina has long been known as a state that produces NFL talent per capita on par with any other state. I’m aware of Georgia’s population vs ours but in no way do I buy there are 28 kids in Georgia better than any kid in SC.
Along the border here I can attest that when a SC school plays one from Georgia that SC usually comes out on top. The Border Bowl in Augusta, although relatively new, has a 3-2 SC advantage even though the “city/population” is on the Ga side.
Rivals obviously has some dead zones in player evaluations in this state. I simply don’t believe the info they have out in regards to SC talent.

FWIW, people have been talking about the 2019 Georgia class for years. Most recruiting experts agree that 2019 might be the greatest and deepest group of talent in the history of Georgia high school football. Time will tell, if true while 2018 is considered a down year for high school talent in Georgia (except at QB and OG).

PS the experts also think that Mississippi might have one of their better classes in 2019.

Imo, Dabo has nightly wet dreams re: 4* and 5* recruits.

The same may be said for Kirby Smart at UGA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT