ADVERTISEMENT

In his annual State of the University speech today Dr. Pastidis announced that . . .

67gamecock

Oct 3, 2000
Lexington, SC
the remodeling (actually, gutting and reconfiguring of the interior and exterior) of the Coliseum as a top level goal of the university's physical facilities. This project has been discussed in BOT meetings for at least the past 4 years or so. The plans I've seen (5 years or so ago) would really open up the old building and make it a shiny show place on the West Campus and Assembly Street.

the remodeling (actually, gutting and reconfiguring of the interior and exterior) of the Coliseum as a top level goal of the university's physical facilities. This project has been discussed in BOT meetings for at least the past 4 years or so. The plans I've seen (5 years or so ago) would really open up the old building and make it a shiny show place on the West Campus and Assembly Street.

leavin' it the 1st mistake

leavin' it the 1st mistake

Then you ain't gonna like this. The idea was advanced within the BOT (and certain administrative circles) to tear down the Coliseum, but due to fear for their 'safety', several senior board members quickly squashed the movement. One long serving Board member was concerned that, if he went on record as supporting such a thing, that he wouldn't get out of Columbia alive - or words to that affect.:D

It is a beautiful building....I understand that it probably would be cheaper to tear down and rebuild whatever it is that they wish to build. I doubt though...that a new building would be as nice as fully renovated Coliseum.

Can you fill us in what has been discussed as possible plans to do with it?

This is what I know from reading old BOT minutes and Daily Gamecock back issues:

The Coliseum has served as the home of the HRSM College, Criminal Justice School and the Journalism School. Only HRSM remains in the building and they're moving out as soon as renovations are completed on the Close-Hipp building (the former home of the Business College).

Plans that have been advanced include a second student union use and perhaps an expansion of the next door Darla Moore Business School - the Coliseum is massive, so the possibilities are numerous. I don't have any graphics of the architect's drawings of the renovations but Beckham posted one on this Board several years ago. The plans call for lots of windows (big windows) all around the concourse. As I recall, the estimated cost of the project was in the $40-60 million dollar range.

Reactions: cocky4
Enjoyed many games at Coliseum as an undergrad, but IMO, the building is hideous. Just pillars and concrete on the outside. With all the money they already put in to make it a practice facility for basketball, I know they won't do anything to it in the near future as far as wrecking it, but it's an outdated eyesore to me.

Enjoyed many games at Coliseum as an undergrad, but IMO, the building is hideous. Just pillars and concrete on the outside. With all the money they already put in to make it a practice facility for basketball, I know they won't do anything to it in the near future as far as wrecking it, but it's an outdated eyesore to me.

I agree. Had it not been for certain school leaders (and politicians) demanding large amounts of classroom space in the building, I think more attention could have been given to exterior aesthetics. Maybe this time. We'll see.

Reactions: cocky4
It is sentimental for me and if it goes it will just be another thing that I don't recognize anymore. Graduated in 1998 and the area has changed drastically.

i agree the exterior of the building has always looked ugly to me- reminded me of a giant pizza hut -but i do not agree with tearing it down. The exterior of the building can be changed and turned into a modern looking building. There is a lot of space to work with and a lot of nice features can be added.You can get the benefits of a new building but retain the heritage of the structure which can not be duplicated. i also think the idea of having your basketball practice facility in the building where you can emphasis the schools basketball's history and have it surrounded by a student union, class space, ect. would be a very unique venue.

I guess there must be a plan to build another practice facility for the basketball teams, then. If the Coliseum is re-purposed, the basketball teams will need a place to practice.

i agree the exterior of the building has always looked ugly to me- reminded me of a giant pizza hut -but i do not agree with tearing it down. The exterior of the building can be changed and turned into a modern looking building. There is a lot of space to work with and a lot of nice features can be added.You can get the benefits of a new building but retain the heritage of the structure which can not be duplicated. i also think the idea of having your basketball practice facility in the building where you can emphasis the schools basketball's history and have it surrounded by a student union, class space, ect. would be a very unique venue.
I don't have the same opinion about how the exterior looks. I like it. The practicality of this project is another matter. I say tear it down and build something all new. If Darla Moore, who advocated removal, is out in left field, I want to be out there with her.

IMO the new Moore School tipped off the fact that Coliseum would stay. The building was designed to match the Coliseum next to it with the pillars and such.

This is great news IMO. You don't want to be like the city of Atlanta and build stuff and tear it down every 20 years. Carolina Coliseum was a marvel when it was built in 1968. Glad to see we are going to find a new use for it

Reactions: wcocat and cocky4
I don't have the same opinion about how the exterior looks. I like it. The practicality of this project is another matter. I say tear it down and build something all new. If Darla Moore, who advocated removal, is out in left field, I want to be out there with her.

I agree with you and so does Darla Moore. The building is just out-of-scale with the other buildings in the area. However, some of the plans I've seen would open up the structure and bring it more into the theme of surrounding buildings.

I agree with you and so does Darla Moore. The building is just out-of-scale with the other buildings in the area. However, some of the plans I've seen would open up the structure and bring it more into the theme of surrounding buildings.
I hope the outcome will be good, whatever it is. Moore should have never been removed from the BOT, but that's another discussion.

To be fair, nothing really matches down there. Strom. Koger Center. 650 Lincoln/Innovista buildings. Not like there's some integrated look like the Horseshoe going on

I guess there must be a plan to build another practice facility for the basketball teams, then. If the Coliseum is re-purposed, the basketball teams will need a place to practice.
i think the money they have spent on the coliseum as a basketball practice facility tells me that any future plans would leave the practice facility parts of the building intact. There is a good deal of space from where the present seating is that was left intact out to the columns outside. i could see how they could tear out all the rest of the seating and build two or three levels up to the ceiling leaving the basketball practice area as a courtyard of sorts.

Reactions: 67gamecock
We sure could use new science buildings, especially need to replace Jones.
Good news, the old law school building across the street from Jones will be converted for use by the sciences. Bad news, that building is the same 70s era look/design as the current science buildings. At least it gives them more lab space and such.

I agree with you that our science buildings could use an upgrade but they added that Palms Graduate Research Center in the late 90s and several of the new Innovista buildings get used for science stuff

Good news, the old law school building across the street from Jones will be converted for use by the sciences. Bad news, that building is the same 70s era look/design as the current science buildings. At least it gives them more lab space and such.

I agree with you that our science buildings could use an upgrade but they added that Palms Graduate Research Center in the late 90s and several of the new Innovista buildings get used for science stuff

Thanks for the update. The old law school should be imploded. Start fresh and make it pop. If USC and the city go through with plans to revitalize that portion of Main Street, it could really be a nice part of campus

It is sentimental for me and if it goes it will just be another thing that I don't recognize anymore. Graduated in 1998 and the area has changed drastically.

Im glad the area doesnt look like it did in the late 90s. It was a dump. Nothing but abandoned warehouses and open fields. That area is blossoming into a nice metropolitan space.

I worked at Carolina Coliseum (and a number of other venues) for many years and the Coliseum was one of the best places in the country to see a concert or a basketball game. The building included many accoustical features that are never part of today's arenas and the steep sloop gave the sense of being right on top of the floor or the stage. Many famous rock and rollers said it was one of their favorite halls because of the proximity of the audience and the accoustics. I hope it will be re-purposed because I'd sure hate to see it torn down. So many great memories associated with the Coliseum from registering for classes back in the day to the heydays of Gamecocks basketball to PRINCE to Springsteen to Guns 'n Roses to Dolly Parton and the list goes on and on. In my opinion, Gamecock basketball made a mistake leaving the Coliseum. The Colonial Center was built on the cheap (and it shows) and its too big for basketball and for almost anything touring these days. But it has luxury boxes for the affluent few, which is the must have in today's sports venues.

I worked at Carolina Coliseum (and a number of other venues) for many years and the Coliseum was one of the best places in the country to see a concert or a basketball game. The building included many accoustical features that are never part of today's arenas and the steep sloop gave the sense of being right on top of the floor or the stage. Many famous rock and rollers said it was one of their favorite halls because of the proximity of the audience and the accoustics. I hope it will be re-purposed because I'd sure hate to see it torn down. So many great memories associated with the Coliseum from registering for classes back in the day to the heydays of Gamecocks basketball to PRINCE to Springsteen to Guns 'n Roses to Dolly Parton and the list goes on and on. In my opinion, Gamecock basketball made a mistake leaving the Coliseum. The Colonial Center was built on the cheap (and it shows) and its too big for basketball and for almost anything touring these days. But it has luxury boxes for the affluent few, which is the must have in today's sports venues.

Don't forget the Halloween Grateful Dead show! ;-)

Reactions: wcocat

Do you happen to know if the engineering department managed to steal any space in that building? I know that around the time I graduated Dr. McCants was trying to snag some space to use for senior design, since the machine shop is so woefully small.

Speaking of which, that's a major facilities upgrade that the department desperately needs. The CEC has been undergoing explosive growth in the last ten years or so, and the existing shop and 300 Main just plain aren't enough to service all the MEs we have coming through now.

I couldn't even have dreamed of registering for classes online while I stood in line at the Elephant Room (I think that was the name). That first experience told me I was no longer in high school and it was a different world. Standing in line with several thousand other people scrapping to get a needed class was something. Journey in '82(?) was awesome. Perry came out in a garnet tux with tails and had a Gamecock Football shirt on! Lot of memories of that building and hope they can put it to good use.

Do you happen to know if the engineering department managed to steal any space in that building? I know that around the time I graduated Dr. McCants was trying to snag some space to use for senior design, since the machine shop is so woefully small.
Haven't heard anything about that. I know CEC has benefited from the new spaces in the Innovista some like the sciences have, even though those aren't "their" buildings. Biomedical engineering for example. I also read about some laser we own that no one in the state has and scientists from other schools have to come here to get time on it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT