ADVERTISEMENT

In recruiting we are the Alabama of...

So you agree - there are kids that get into USC that don’t necessarily meet the academic standards, but get in because of a specialized skill. Perfect.

Not a good comparison as there are dance majors and not football majors.

So you agree - there are kids that get into USC that don’t necessarily meet the academic standards, but get in because of a specialized skill. Perfect. You think those dance majors all go for the “education” they’ll receive outside of dance classes?

If not, then by your account they’re taking a spot from a “deserving” student, right?

USC wants good football, so they bring in the best players they can get. They deserve to be here as much as anyone else because they were specifically invited by the school to be at USC. There are 85 scholarship football players out of over 27,000+ undergraduates. Get over yourself.

No, you get over yourself. I don't "agree". You can get a DEGREE in dance. You can get a DEGREE in music. All are part of the performing arts.

You CAN'T get a degree in football. Get back to me when you can. Until then, you are wrong. They absolutely cheat a legit student athlete from getting the chance to participate in college sports. Completely different than music and dance.

Last edited:
No, you get over yourself. I don't "agree". You can get a DEGREE in dance. You can get a DEGREE in music. All are part of the performing arts.

You CAN'T get a degree in football. Get back to me when you can. Until then, you are wrong. They absolutely cheat a legit student athlete from getting the chance to participate in college sports. Completely different than music and dance.

it seems you’re just upset that kids that don’t yet have a degree from USC can out-earn someone that has two degrees from USC merely because they play a game with a ball. That’s life. Get used to it.

These football players (and basketball players) add more value to USC than they take. Tons more. They’re great marketing tools in a way the average student isn’t (and could never be). They deserve more than they’re getting - though it seems they’re finally getting it.

it seems you’re just upset that kids that don’t yet have a degree from USC can out-earn someone that has two degrees from USC merely because they play a game with a ball. That’s life. Get used to it.

These football players (and basketball players) add more value to USC than they take. Tons more. They’re great marketing tools in a way the average student isn’t (and could never be). They deserve more than they’re getting - though it seems they’re finally getting it.

It seems you just completely made that shit up. I never said or suggested any such thing. I don't need to "get used to" anything. Professional athletes have been doing that for years. And that's what many of these kids are now. Semi-pro athletes, not student athletes.

But since you mentioned it, you make a good point. Not only are these unqualified "students" stealing the opportunity from a legit student athlete to play sports for their school, they are also stealing the opportunity to make NIL money from a legit student-athlete. People would still show up to see real student athletes play, and the NIL money would be there for them too. The value is in the school name/assocation. That would still be there even if school were required to use real student athletes. Put all these same players you claim bring so much money in a farm league, and very few would know their name or anything about the teams they play for.

Reactions: Mr.Fitzwell

Did you work an intern job during your time at USC? I'm certain there's plenty on this board who worked 25-35 a week jobs for career experience and got paid peanuts - whether that be for a big corporation or USC itself.

The NIL is not a solution to anything. Rather, it only exacerbates the issue of inequity within the both scope of the CFB hierarchy and intra-team (QB vs. Lineman). On top of the full ride, pay players {reasonable} universal flat fee and cover their insurance - both health and future potential in case of injury. Seems like a very high end internship at that stage of life.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
USC will never compete on a straight up recruiting basis with the big-time programs. But that's why Beamer was hired. If you have an eye for talent, and coaches that can actually coach (not just recruit), you can make your 3-stars into NFL-level players. It's more of the Boise State model - less of the Alabama model.

Can sustained success lead to being able to recruit on a level playing field as the big boys? Sure thing. But you have to find a way to have sustained success first.

And NIL and the portal will definitely help a school like USC. They can get difference makers (like Rattler) that want to come into a solid program, but that needs some top talent to move the needle. If USC can make sure it always has a solid O-line and a defense that can tackle - then they can pull stars in each year to make them a contender.
Whoa…that’s a lot of “If’s.”

”Rattler may or may not turn out to be the “difference” maker SC fans hope for, we’ll see.

It will probably be a slow climb to being the “contender” SC fans are looking for, especially after hanging out in the bottom three East.

Happy to see this board is off life support.

The un-American part of this deal is the fact that many "students" that couldn't sniff being accepted into a school under normal circumstances due to poor academic performance in high school are exempted from the rules that regular kids have to follow, just because they are athletes. All they do is steal an opportunity for a legit student athlete to participate in college sports.

In mean, if people want to get on their moral high horse about what people should and shouldn't be allowed to do and what is right and wrong, this is a bigger issue by far.
I don’t disagree with what you say, I’m only stating that other kids their age have opportunities to make money off of their NIL via SM influencing. And some of thise kids are dirt poor and on scholarship. They just need to reel it in somehow because they unleashed a beast.

I don’t disagree with what you say, I’m only stating that other kids their age have opportunities to make money off of their NIL via SM influencing. And some of thise kids are dirt poor and on scholarship. They just need to reel it in somehow because they unleashed a beast.

Not going to happen.

agree. I like that they are finally able to capitalize.

I guess this is this site's official Gamecock FB recruiting thread for this upcoming class (2023).

South Carolina just got a commitment from 4* in-state OL (6-3, 300) Markee Anderson, out of Roebuck. Anderson chose USC over LSU, UNC, and Clemson, his final four teams.

FZA_phmX0AIByAs

...and it also looks like he then settled in for a nice pancake meal.....

This was just after we also got a commitment from 4* DL Monteque Rhames out of Sumter. We added 3* OL Jatavius Shivers out of Villa Rica, GA earlier today. Not a shabby recruiting weekend......

Reactions: lexgamecock
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT