ADVERTISEMENT

In-state athlete Keshawn Toney commits to USC

Listed as TE/DE prospect. Most of the highlights I've seen have him at WR. He looks like a man playing against kids at that position. Very athletic.

Reactions: cockofdawn
He has offers from Georgia state and S.C. State. I guess we found him before the big schools did. I hope he turns out to be a stud.

Small rural 1A school like Williston-Elko isn't going to attract a lot of huge programs early in a kid's career .

6'3" 220#. I was impressed with his speed on defense. Quick first step. A couple more inches and 20# of good weight and he could be a force either way.

3 wins, 6 wins, 9 wins. Now preseason top 25 with a chance for the SECE. I think they know what they are doing.

You got to believe we feel pretty good about him to offer this early, if this was the 2/19 and we were scrambling to fill a spot......I be concerned. I trust the process and this staff's ability to evaluate, that was not the case with the previous staff.

He has offers from Georgia state and S.C. State. I guess we found him before the big schools did. I hope he turns out to be a stud.

b86491a76c5008c5618a4b6e02e91923.jpg

You got to believe we feel pretty good about him to offer this early, if this was the 2/19 and we were scrambling to fill a spot......I be concerned. I trust the process and this staff's ability to evaluate, that was not the case with the previous staff.

Amazing how many folks on here used to scream this from the mountain tops about our prior staff.

Reactions: gawpensfl

Amazing how many folks on here used to scream this from the mountain tops about our prior staff.

And for 8 out of 11 of those years they were right.
You can say 7 out of the 11 if you want to stay focused on the negatives and failures.
Regardless, you gotta let a coach build his own ropes. Maybe they become nets that catch big fish, maybe they become a noose and he hangs himself.

Either way, I continue to be surprised by the number people who relish to opportunity for "I told you the sky was falling, but you didn't want to believe me."

I believe this staff is much better at evaluating talent than the previous one. Just look at the number of guys contributing in their freshman year as compared to the guys of the previous staff that never amounted to much. I don't listen to 107.5 much but happened to for a few minutes this morning. One thing was said that I think is very telling. They said that when Muschamp first came to USC, he attended an NFL game in Atlanta. He noted there were quite a few guys playing in that game that were from the state of SC, but only one of them, Patrick DeMarco, came from USC. Many had gone to smaller schools but ended up in the NFL. There is an abundance of talent in this state that is overlooked. I think this staff is finding them. I think this kid is a sterling example of that. He is a very talented player from a very small school in SC, so he doesn't get much attention. I think this staff works extremely hard on evaluating recruits. Muschamp recently made another very telling comment on signing day. He said that every player they signed had attended one of their camps and they evaluated them in person. They did not rely on others evaluation. They did not rely on Highlights films. They evaluated each one individually - in person.

I know he plays at a small school but he has a lot of what coaches look for in a prospective athlete. He's 6'3", 230 and appears to run like a deer in those highlights.

Let the coaches work out the rest.

6'3 220, hell try him on the basketball team

We already have one of those on the basketball team. I hope Frank can recruit enough basketball players so we don't have to rely on football players for minutes next year

We already have one of those on the basketball team.
Yeah that's the joke I was going for. FGF needs a sarcasm font. And although I realize it wasn't ideal, I will admit it was fun watching Hinson get out there and run with the bball team this year

Reactions: Gaimcock
I believe this staff is much better at evaluating talent than the previous one. Just look at the number of guys contributing in their freshman year as compared to the guys of the previous staff that never amounted to much. I don't listen to 107.5 much but happened to for a few minutes this morning. One thing was said that I think is very telling. They said that when Muschamp first came to USC, he attended an NFL game in Atlanta. He noted there were quite a few guys playing in that game that were from the state of SC, but only one of them, Patrick DeMarco, came from USC. Many had gone to smaller schools but ended up in the NFL. There is an abundance of talent in this state that is overlooked. I think this staff is finding them. I think this kid is a sterling example of that. He is a very talented player from a very small school in SC, so he doesn't get much attention. I think this staff works extremely hard on evaluating recruits. Muschamp recently made another very telling comment on signing day. He said that every player they signed had attended one of their camps and they evaluated them in person. They did not rely on others evaluation. They did not rely on Highlights films. They evaluated each one individually - in person.

Demarco is from Florida.

I agree with the post above that I would be more worried if this was a last second pick up. Let’s see if he gets more offers and makes the Shrine Bowl. There is another in state TE (don’t recall the name) that is getting some big time offers and neither us or sCUm seem too interested.

Talent in SC has always slipped through the cracks. We have never had a staff that was willing to put in the work to sift it out. We have a ton of kids playing at rural small schools that never are seen by college scouts. Glad this staff is beating the bushes and the HS coaches in this state will appreciate it too.

think he mean't players in the NFL from smaller schools in SC. Just guessing

WM never mentioned Demarco as being from SC, the quote was about players who were from the state, here is the quote.

South Carolina head coach Will Muschamp noticed something interesting while watching his old defensive coordinator Dan Quinn and his Atlanta Falcons beat the Carolina Panthers in the Georgia Dome a couple of Sundays ago.

“There were six players on the field from the state of South Carolina,” Muschamp told the Greenville News. “One went to Clemson. None went to South Carolina... I’m not trying to throw stones at anyone, but let’s evaluate and take care of our own state.”

The interesting thing about this is we are the only major offer for Toney while we have shown limited interest in Tight End Luke Deal out of Emerald (Greenwood), we have not offered Deal who I hear ran poorly at our camp but had a growth spurt and is 6-5 with offers from everyone but us. Clemson, UGA, Auburn, Michigan, Notre Dame, Southern Cal, Florida, seem to be all real commitable offers.

Deal is a 3 star by most services but has a 4 star offer list and pursuit/hype at this point.

Toney vs Deal will take some time to play out but will be something to watch and evaluate this staff on.

We said the same thing the last 3 years of the spurrier era...
Somebody has to be a backup and play on ST's. If he doesn't get any other DI offers we'll know. It could be that he hasn't been to camps and is an "athlete", meaning his CFB position isn't known at this time.

The last recruiting staff had a proven ability to find 2* players disguised as 4* players. Junior and Whammy could find some real flops. Or maybe it was development. Not sure.

WM seems to find guys that nobody wanted initially and then their stock soars. He just needs to hold onto those guys when it happens.

High character kid that works his butt off. Super athletic. Has been All-State in football and basketball the last two seasons.

Why in the world would you make up such a story??? He was NOT All-State in football or basketball in either 2016 or 2017.

DEFENSE
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE YEAR
: Channing Tindall, Spring Valley (Columbia)
This senior linebacker was all over the field in leading the Vikings to an 11-2 season and a trip to the Class 5A quarterfinals. A recent Georgia commit, Tindall made 132 tackles (14 for loss) with nine sacks.

First Team
DL Kelijiha Brown (6-3, 305, Sr.), Saluda
DL Tonka Hemingway (6-2, 250, So.), Conway
DL Shamar McCollum (6-4, 200, Jr.), Dillon
DL Zacch Pickens (6-3, 244, Jr.), T.L. Hanna (Anderson)
LB Quack Cohen (6-1, 230, Jr.), Greer
LB Channing Tindall (6-2, 213, Sr.), Spring Valley (Columbia)
LB Jake Venables (6-2, 229, Sr.), D.W. Daniel (Central)
DB Steven Gilmore Jr. (5-11, 155, Sr.), South Pointe (Rock Hill)
DB D’Angelo Knight (6-2, 215, Sr.), Fort Dorchester (North Charleston)
DB Elijah Rodgers (6-1, 170, Sr.), Blacksburg
DB Quavian White (5-9, 182, Sr.), Greer

Second Team

DL Eli Adams (5-11, 230, Sr.), South Pointe (Rock Hill)
DL Damion Daley (6-4, 260, Sr.), Ridge View (Columbia)
DL Trajan Jeffcoat (6-3, 220, Sr.), Irmo (Columbia)
DL Torrion Stevenson (6-2, 310, Sr.), Branchville
LB Nathan Walker (5-10, 185, Sr.), Cross
LB Khalid Jones II (6-1, 225, Sr.), Byrnes (Greenville)
LB Kyle Wright (6-1, 220, Sr.), Ben Lippen (Columbia)
DB Jeremiah Green (5-8, 190, Jr.), Aiken
DB Tyler Gore (5-10, 170, Sr.), North Myrtle Beach (Little River)
DB Zion Keith (6-1, 190, Sr.), Wilson (Florence)
DB Braylon Peterson (5-11, 160, Sr.), T.L. Hanna (Anderson)

SPECIAL TEAMS

P Skyler DeLong (6-4, 180, Sr.), Nation Ford (Fort Mill)

First Team
QB Derion Kendrick (6-1, 198, Sr.), South Pointe (Rock Hill)
RB Michel Dukes (5-10, 191, Jr.), First Baptist (Charleston)
RB Bryce Thompson (6-0, 180, Sr.), Dutch Fork (Irmo)
WR Jacoby Pinckney (6-3, 192, Jr.), Dorman (Roebuck)
WR Justin Williams (6-1, 190, Sr.), Fort Dorchester (North Charleston)
TE Patrick Reedy (6-7, 238, Sr.), Cardinal Newman (Columbia)
OL Alec Blackmon (6-2, 270, Sr.), Newberry
OL Wyatt Campbell (6-7, 290, Sr.), Lugoff-Elgin (Lugoff)
OL Hank Manos (6-4, 275, Sr.), Chapin
OL Jordan McFadden (6-4, 290, Sr.), Dorman (Roebuck)
OL Raiqwon O’Neal (6-5, 270, Sr.), Conway

Second Team

QB Dakereon Joyner (6-2, 206, Sr.), Fort Dorchester (North Charleston)
RB James Gainyard (5-9, 175, Sr.), Bamberg-Ehrhardt (Bamberg)
RB Chris Roberts (5-8, 206, Sr.), South Aiken
WR Jamario Holley (5-10, 180, Jr.), Northwestern (Rock Hill)
WR Dennis Smith (6-2, 185, Sr.), Gaffney
TE Tommy Washington (6-2, 220, Sr.), Spartanburg
OL Gunner Britton (6-6, 275, Sr.), Conway
OL K.D. Canaty (6-4, 280, Sr.), Northwestern (Rock Hill)
OL Alex Deel (6-1, 305, Sr.), Boiling Springs (Spartanburg)
OL Jackson Hutto (6-2, 290, Sr.), Summerville
OL Kavesz Sherard (6-4, 310, Sr.), T.L. Hanna (Anderson)

Last edited:
I know he plays at a small school but he has a lot of what coaches look for in a prospective athlete. He's 6'3", 230 and appears to run like a deer in those highlights.

Let the coaches work out the rest.

Speed at combine last year was 4.95

The interesting thing about this is we are the only major offer for Toney while we have shown limited interest in Tight End Luke Deal out of Emerald (Greenwood), we have not offered Deal who I hear ran poorly at our camp but had a growth spurt and is 6-5 with offers from everyone but us. Clemson, UGA, Auburn, Michigan, Notre Dame, Southern Cal, Florida, seem to be all real commitable offers.

Deal is a 3 star by most services but has a 4 star offer list and pursuit/hype at this point.

Toney vs Deal will take some time to play out but will be something to watch and evaluate this staff on.
The staff knows about Deal... An offer would be waste of time.. Deal is a lifelong tater... If Clemons wants him, that's where he will go... Like that silly kid from Hanna last year, he'll leave the state before choosing USC

Reactions: Gradstudent
Demarco is from Florida.
Yes he is. He was one of the last players to sign that year. He has/had a relative on the Pro Golf circuit.

of course, some the board experts posted the only reason he got signed by us(USC) was because Spurrier knew his relative and it was all about golf. Turns out they were wrong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT