ADVERTISEMENT

Insider Report - June 8 (more on Horn/Wonnum/Wynn/Shough/Gwyn)

Chris Clark

Football/Recruiting Insider
Jan 3, 2005
USC cornerback target Jaycee Horn recently visited Alabama, and following that trip said things are even now in his recruitment, with neither the Crimson Tide nor the Gamecocks having the edge at this time. To a degree, that’s to be expected. Things have see-sawed here during the process, with USC capturing the lead as expected as the staff had time to continue working its pitch to the four-star defender. Alabama was able to draw even after hosting him, which is not an uncommon occurrence for a program of that magnitude. Tennessee is also in the mix, and that’s Horn’s next visit on June 17. Horn told me on Wednesday that he’s “most likely” going to return to Columbia before the summer is out and before making his decision. USC has done strong work here, having a good relationship with Jaycee’s father, Joe, as well as with the prospect himself. Horn and those around him also recognize the opportunity at South Carolina to play, with the Gamecocks set to lose multiple players in the secondary after 2017.

Also on campus for USC's initial camp date over the weekend was four-star offensive tackle Dylan Wonnum. To sound like a broken record, he does not say much publicly about his recruitment. In doing some checking, I heard he and his family had another enjoyable trip, as they always do when visiting with Wonnum's brother. There are also some bonds built now with the younger Wonnum and other current USC players, some of whom worked with a common training group in high school back in Georgia.

The other contenders for Wonnum have consistently been mentioned as a mixture of SEC programs, plus Ohio State. Interestingly, the program that appears to have been a substantial challenger in recent weeks for the Gamecocks is LSU. As I’ve noted before, it will continue to be a battle and a situation that USC’s staff will need to work very hard. The good news is that Will Muschamp and Eric Wolford have been very involved on this one and that Wonnum has gotten to know Wolford well and feels comfortable with him. In addition, multiple people connected with the recruitment still believe South Carolina is the most likely destination.

This is more of a reiteration than anything, but Charlotte offensive lineman Jovaughn Gwyn remains a major priority for the Gamecocks. USC had some ground to make up once it offered earlier in the year, but over time the staff has been able to do just that. Gwyn was very goo in the camp setting this spring with his play and demeanor, with his physical mentality really making an impression on the staff. A previous Insider mentioned that Gwyn would be on campus for USC’s lineman camp on Saturday; my understanding is that he’ll be spending the weekend in Columbia.

Former Auburn defensive back Marlon Character is a player Wes Mitchell has mentioned multiple times in reports as having USC as his most likely destination at this point. I did some more checking and he’s indeed a strong possibility, but I’m told it’s not a definite at this point. There are still some things to work through there.

From what I hear, it’s more than likely that four-star QB Tyler Shough will end up somewhere other than South Carolina, possibly remaining out west or on the west coast. As Wes previously noted, Shough was unable to make a return trip to Columbia due to a scheduling conflict.

We have not been able to catch up with IMG Academy defensive lineman Stephon Wynn since his visit to South Carolina last weekend, but understand that it was a beneficial trip for the Gamecocks. His father, who has been heavily involved in the process and has always liked the way that Will Muschamp runs things in Columbia, joined Wynn on that trip. Georgia has been the other main contender mentioned prominently in this one and the Dawgs have led at times as well. Nobody has a great feel right now one way or the other beyond than believing those two are the ones with the best chance. Some folks familiar with the process do believe that USC has the best shot to pull him, but that Georgia would certainly not be a surprise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.