ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting article on the USC-Dook game..

I was there and saw it differently. Driesell came up behind Ribock and tried to pull him off of a Maryland player Ribock was fighting with. Ribock looked to see who had grabbed him from behind, looked backed toward the player he was fighting with then turned back toward Driesell and punched him in the jaw. He knew it was Driesell. McGuire's defense of Ribock the next day on TV was, "Lefty probably hit himself."
I saw what I saw.

Leaving the ACC hurt us but had to be done. Integrity was far more important. Keep in mind, UNC was all for raising the minimum requirement in the league. We're the most vocal about it. This from a program that created fake classes to play ineligible players. For 30 years. Had to be done.
I must disagree. Why did we have to leave because of the stance of another school any more than the other six institutions?

I was on campus during those years and the electricity in the air before a big ACC game ......well it was like nothing I've known before or since. If you weren't there you can't comprehend what it felt like. For those who were there you know exactly what I'm talking about.

I would have loved to been old enough to see some of these great games. Great stories from the past. I love McGuire coming out in the 1971 ACC champs warm ups in 1972 vs UNC.

"McGuire’s team won the ACC title (as South Carolina guard Kevin Joyce out-jumped UNC’s center Lee Dedmon for a crucial jump ball) and earned a trip to Raleigh for the East Regionals.

It’s impossible to recapture the ugliness in Reynolds Coliseum that weekend. Penn couldn’t not have had more of a homecourt advantage had the game been played in the Palestra as Tobacco Road fans packed the arena to pull against the hated Gamecocks.

The Gamecocks ended their association with the ACC by losing to the Quakers, then to Fordham in the consolation game.

A year later, newly independent South Carolina faced ACC champion North Carolina in the East Regional semifinals in Morganton, W. Va. McGuire tried to stir things up by having his team come out for warm-ups wearing jackets that proclaimed “1971 ACC Champions”.

UNC blew them out as South Carolina entered more than 40 years in the basketball wilderness."

"McGuire was especially bitter in 1970 when his best South Carolina team, undefeated in the ACC regular season, was upset by N.C. State in the ACC championship game.

Compounding the bad feelings was the belligerent nature of McGuire’s great team. His players brawled around the league. In a fight with Maryland, John Ribock coldcocked Coach Lefty Driesell, while another Gamecock player pinned Driesell’s arms to his side. John Roche kicked Duke’s Dick DeVenzio in the balls when the Blue Devil guard was lying on the floor. Kevin Joyce kicked UNC’s George Karl."

They should make a movie about all of this...I guess Disgrayson tripping people now is not so bad after all.....

I know when the Legend becomes truth, print the legend. I was a senior at SC and in those days and seniors sat right behind the players in the old Carolina Colisium. The fight broke out and Ribock was fighting with another Maryland player. Driesell stepped into the middle of it and Ribock hit him. Lefty was trying to break it up, or keep his player from getting killed. It happened right in front of me. Hitting Lefty was accidential. I have heard that story interpreted incorrectly, so many times. Then Lefty said "South Carolina has to come play us at Cole Field House. If we don't have a fight break out, I will start one."

old 800 sat rule.....paul was losin 2 many recruits to jawja, etc.......as a rule of thumb basketball players didn't have, how do i put this "academic challenges". .....think of baseball 2day.....

as a matter of fact frank got a recruit the first yr out of acc that wanted n2 Moou but could not crack 800 rule.

Who was that?

We lived in Augusta, and my Dad got cable so we could pick up WIS and watch the games. He was a huge Gamecock fan. We buried him in June, 2002, the same day Carolina eliminated Clemson from the CWS. Fitting sendoff. He taught me we where Carolina and NC was the University of Chapel Hill.

Reactions: vacock#
This is true:

In a fight with Maryland, John Ribock coldcocked Coach Lefty Driesell,

This is a f'ing lie:

while another Gamecock player pinned Driesell’s arms to his side.

I was there. Lefty tried to pull Ribock off a MD player. Ribock turned around and hit him. He didn't take the time to see who it was and nobody held Lefty.

EXACTLY! But, the legend is much more fun to print! It happened right in front of me. There was nobody between me and the court.

Who is lowering standards? Your comment is not clear to me. The ACC was raising academic standards. Dietzel and probably McGuire didn't want that. Freddie Solomon could not enroll at USC under these ACC requirements. Dietzel wanted Freddie Solomon to enroll.

All the ACC schools' alums like to think their institutions of higher learning are higher than everybody else's. What most don't understand is that the University Of SC has a purpose that is mandated by SC law to educate the people (masses) of SC. After the end of the Cival War as Reconstruction began, political, social, and economical change came slowly, and education had to be a key component if the South was ever going to climb out of the aftermath of the war. Educating the masses means we are charged with educating people from all backgrounds. The range of educational/degree programs offered by the USC has always dwarfed those offered by other schools that were established with a much narrower mission like agriculture and military. I imagine The U of GA has a similar mandate. So, ACC schools wanting to raise (or not lower) their admission standards to comply with the national standards was an attempt to exclude a certain class of people. You can read between the lines that this was nothing more than racism. I won't say that The USC was corrageous in their stance and ultimately their action to leave the ACC, but we did not dig our heels in obstinacy to join the rest of the nation in adopting the same entry requirements like the ACC, who later followed once they rid themselves of The USC, the red-headed step-child of their conference.

I could write an entire essay on the subject, but I'll stop here. This post is long enough.

Reactions: boatingsportscock
Bottom line- The ACC was controlled by Tobacco Road Cronyism we would always be playing by their rules and with their officials. They would not have allowed what was happening with Carolina Basketball to continue no matter what they had to do.

I remember well growing up in the 80s the hatred for the ACC and repeatedly being screwed by the refs when we played up there on tobacco rd.

It's a shame it set our bb program and football to a degree back so many years but it had to be done. We're now where we always belonged in the SEC. It's our home now and more of a home than the crappy ACC ever was.

All the ACC schools' alums like to think their institutions of higher learning are higher than everybody else's. What most don't understand is that the University Of SC has a purpose that is mandated by SC law to educate the people (masses) of SC. After the end of the Cival War as Reconstruction began, political, social, and economical change came slowly, and education had to be a key component if the South was ever going to climb out of the aftermath of the war. Educating the masses means we are charged with educating people from all backgrounds. The range of educational/degree programs offered by the USC has always dwarfed those offered by other schools that were established with a much narrower mission like agriculture and military. I imagine The U of GA has a similar mandate. So, ACC schools wanting to raise (or not lower) their admission standards to comply with the national standards was an attempt to exclude a certain class of people. You can read between the lines that this was nothing more than racism. I won't say that The USC was corrageous in their stance and ultimately their action to leave the ACC, but we did not dig our heels in obstinacy to join the rest of the nation in adopting the same entry requirements like the ACC, who later followed once they rid themselves of The USC, the red-headed step-child of their conference.

I could write an entire essay on the subject, but I'll stop here. This post is long enough.

Racism? That is pretty strong. I agree, it was there and somewhat understand, having lived in that era. It might have been one reason but not the only one. I also think that most of the NC, ACC schools recruited most of their basketball players from the north. There were simply more of them who could qualify, and making 800 on the SAT was usually not a problem. It stands to reason that the rule favored the NC schools in recruiting for Basketball and it kept the SC schools from developing better football. Basketball, being the more important sport to them, The 800 rule created a win/win for them in sports. They also liked the way it sounded, that their schools had higher academic standards.

I know when the Legend becomes truth, print the legend. I was a senior at SC and in those days and seniors sat right behind the players in the old Carolina Colisium. The fight broke out and Ribock was fighting with another Maryland player. Driesell stepped into the middle of it and Ribock hit him. Lefty was trying to break it up, or keep his player from getting killed. It happened right in front of me. Hitting Lefty was accidential. I have heard that story interpreted incorrectly, so many times. Then Lefty said "South Carolina has to come play us at Cole Field House. If we don't have a fight break out, I will start one."

I was there as well. You are correct.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT