ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting info on Sylvia Hatchell

Hatchell's alleged racist remarks may have been misinterpreted, but she's shown herself to be homophobic in past recruitment of prospects. Many prospects who chose to go elsewhere have made mention of her commenting to them and their parents not to go to certain programs because of lesbian coaches, etc. So I can see how she made the comments she did about Parsons.

And, let's face it, even though the player that Parsons had the relationship with - that ultimately led to her being fired and never coaching again - was to be her "partner" in their private lives for decades afterward, it still dealt a huge blow to not only our own WBB program, but in how collegiate women sports have dealt with lesbian coaches and players ever since...

It sounds like the lawyer is playing the “you heard BUT she actually said” game.

But come on, when you use the words; rope, tree, string us up..... and you are YELLING AT your players.....the image you are evoking for me is either from a western (murdering horse thief) or violence against African Americans. Not hard to imagine how African American young women would hear that.

Coarse vulgarity should have sufficed
They are going to rip our heads off and sh_t down our necks. Laugh at your dumb asses because you don’t even go to class and still can’t beat them
They are going to eat our lunch, kick our Fing Asses, mop the floor with us, beat the crap out of us, run us out of the gym, embarrass your sorry asses in front of your parents and friend,

They already have players transferring, so it's likely true and multiple people heard her say it. Hatchell is a dinosaur and it's time to retire to Shady Pines.

They already have players transferring, so it's likely true and multiple people heard her say it. Hatchell is a dinosaur and it's time to retire to Shady Pines.

I think their house is in little river or cherry grove. She was always a little rough and sammy is so even tempered.

And to think lawcalcock was insisting she should be the top choice for UT

From what I'm hearing now it's unlikely Fulmer will do better!Laughing Word is he is trying to hire a HBC on the cheap! There is a rumor on a prominent wbb site that used back channels to offer Staley and Walz Holly Warlick salary to come to UT!:rolleyes: Both earn twice Warlicks 650k salary!

Seems to me that she's done.

She reminds me of a female version of the coach from varisity blues, if true, at the end of her career, LOL

FantasticNewFruitbat-small.gif

From what I'm hearing now it's unlikely Fulmer will do better!Laughing Word is he is trying to hire a HBC on the cheap! There is a rumor on a prominent wbb site that used back channels to offer Staley and Walz Holly Warlick salary to come to UT!:rolleyes: Both earn twice Warlicks 650k salary!
Sounds like UCLA offering John Calipari to come to LA for a paycut

I still think it ends up Cori Close of UCLA or Kellie Harper

Hatchell is probably done. She has always been a little rough around the edges from a language standpoint, but she is from the old school. And in today's society, you better win big if you are going to coach that way. Would figure they will negotiate a sweet little golden parachute for the to retire to her beach home. Mainly because there is a monkey in the ointment. And that was the afro/American studies deal from a few years ago. Did athletes get involved in those courses? Of course. But since the whole scheme wasn't designed by athletics as an easy place to put them, it was more an administrative issue on the education side. And because of the subject matter, and what was involved, all parties wanted the whole thing to just go away. That bring said, don't think they want Hatchell mad when she is shown the door. Been pretty common knowledge that if it did turn into an athletic department problem, that the majority of blame was going to be laid at the feet of the women's basketball program. While true that her players took more advantage of the circumstances than anyone else, she felt like her side of the department was going to become the sacrificial lamb if it came to the point where one was needed. So just to keep her mouth shut, pretty sure they want to make her happy as she walks away.
Must be something about the women's coaches up that way though. They had problems with the gal over at Duke that spurred an investigation. They used to have a competitive program, but have had a bunch of transfers over the last few years as evidently a ton of kids just can't play for her anymore.
Personally, I could care less if they deep sixed every woman's basketball program in the country. Can't watch it. But I am in NC all the time and it does make for some interesting talk show matter

Reactions: 1madrooster
This is from way back, but I was at FMC when she was the coach there (the WBB team won the NAIA NC) and believe me she was not a charmer by any stretch. Great coach, but very aloof.

Reactions: vacock#
Kellie Harper is likely! I doubt he can get Close to come East for $650k!
From what I could find Close only makes 446k at UCLA. 200k bump to a much more inexpensive economy plus UT Tradition. I’d leave.
UCLA lost Nikki Fargas to LSU in the same scenario and that was a step down in prestige

From what I could find Close only makes 446k at UCLA. 200k bump to a much more inexpensive economy plus UT Tradition. I’d leave.
UCLA lost Nikki Fargas to LSU in the same scenario and that was a step down in prestige

WOW! UCLA sucks when it comes to paying women's coaching!

Hatchell is probably done. She has always been a little rough around the edges from a language standpoint, but she is from the old school. And in today's society, you better win big if you are going to coach that way. Would figure they will negotiate a sweet little golden parachute for the to retire to her beach home. Mainly because there is a monkey in the ointment. And that was the afro/American studies deal from a few years ago. Did athletes get involved in those courses? Of course. But since the whole scheme wasn't designed by athletics as an easy place to put them, it was more an administrative issue on the education side. And because of the subject matter, and what was involved, all parties wanted the whole thing to just go away. That bring said, don't think they want Hatchell mad when she is shown the door. Been pretty common knowledge that if it did turn into an athletic department problem, that the majority of blame was going to be laid at the feet of the women's basketball program. While true that her players took more advantage of the circumstances than anyone else, she felt like her side of the department was going to become the sacrificial lamb if it came to the point where one was needed. So just to keep her mouth shut, pretty sure they want to make her happy as she walks away.
Must be something about the women's coaches up that way though. They had problems with the gal over at Duke that spurred an investigation. They used to have a competitive program, but have had a bunch of transfers over the last few years as evidently a ton of kids just can't play for her anymore.
Personally, I could care less if they deep sixed every woman's basketball program in the country. Can't watch it. But I am in NC all the time and it does make for some interesting talk show matter

Just about everything in this post about the UNC WBB program's involvement in the AFAM scandal is incorrect....

Reactions: winloseortie

Just about everything in this post about the UNC WBB program's involvement in the AFAM scandal is incorrect....

From a guy that continuously posts on WBB threads to tell us how much he can't stand WBB.

You just totally took the words right out of my mouth. I live right in the middle of the Triangle (Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh) and have followed all of the AFAM situation. No, the women's basketball team did not "take more advantage of the circumstances" than anyone else, not by any stretch of the imagination. The "gal" at Duke, seriously ... SMH.

It appears that in Chapel Hill, if you're a coach not named Dean Smith (who did less with more talent than any top level coach in NCAA history .... being gifted his two NC's by boneheaded mistakes), you may get tied in with the bogus class scandal when it's a convenient time for your exit. Though the circumstantial evidence clearly points to those classes being in service to UNC athletes long before 1994, Tar Heel conventional wisdom and their powers that be (and those are very powerful) demands that it started then, right after Smith's final title, of course.

Her attorney is Wade Smith. He helped represent Jeffrey MacDonald in his 1979 trial.

MacDonald is still right where he belongs.

interesting especially after she was so critical of Pam Parsons years ago. http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...442633/hatchell-probed-alleged-racist-remarks

Damn! I didn't know all this went down in Gamecocks WBB back in the day. Wow!
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19960414&slug=2324080

Sh*t! You really learn something new everyday.

I'm sure its happened many times since 1981 (but kept hush, hush), but I only know of Pokey Chatman when she was at LSU. She's since gone on to lead the Chicago Sky to WNBA's finals, and is currently rebuilding the Fever franchise. Different era's, different outcomes, and Pokey didn't lie about it.

Anyway....., of course Hatchel said it. Why would you even use such words as rope, tree, string, hang when majority of your players are black? Hopefully we can get a good transfer down here. Leah Church can shot 3's with her eyes closed.

Some say give Hatchel a nice retirement check for her longevity of service and send her away. But, just like the class/false grade scandal - this to will fade away. Or they might surprise me. I'm sure Warlick didn't think she's get fired after 40 years.

And to think lawcalcock was insisting she should be the top choice for UT
Is "insisting" stronger than "asserting"? I think that's more in line with LCC's statement. I didn't see her as being on the radar, even before this happened. I want to make it clear that I wasn't insisting.

It appears that in Chapel Hill, if you're a coach not named Dean Smith (who did less with more talent than any top level coach in NCAA history .... being gifted his two NC's by boneheaded mistakes), you may get tied in with the bogus class scandal when it's a convenient time for your exit. Though the circumstantial evidence clearly points to those classes being in service to UNC athletes long before 1994, Tar Heel conventional wisdom and their powers that be (and those are very powerful) demands that it started then, right after Smith's final title, of course.
You need to at least be honest. Michigan inbounded the ball while behind and ChrisWeber clearly travelled in the backcourt, but i was not called. Ball should have gone to Carolina. Then he called timeout which Michigan did not have. You just assume that otherwise Michigan would have scored. Says who! Stick with the facts. No way Michigan should have won that game. Stick with reality man! Same thing with Georgetown game. You automatically assumed GT, who once again trailed in the game, would have scored and tied the game sans Freddy Brown’s errant pass. Admit it, you are seeking to carry out your ABC agenda. But at least, be honest!

You need to at least be honest. Michigan inbounded the ball while behind and ChrisWeber clearly travelled in the backcourt, but i was not called. Ball should have gone to Carolina. Then he called timeout which Michigan did not have. You just assume that otherwise Michigan would have scored. Says who! Stick with the facts. No way Michigan should have won that game. Stick with reality man! Same thing with Georgetown game. You automatically assumed GT, who once again trailed in the game, would have scored and tied the game sans Freddy Brown’s errant pass. Admit it, you are seeking to carry out your ABC agenda. But at least, be honest!
You can google “weber travel unc” and Billy Packer shouts”he walked...he walked and the ref missed it”!

You just totally took the words right out of my mouth. I live right in the middle of the Triangle (Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh) and have followed all of the AFAM situation. No, the women's basketball team did not "take more advantage of the circumstances" than anyone else, not by any stretch of the imagination. The "gal" at Duke, seriously ... SMH.
“The gal” comment made me quit reading Midline’s post. As a woman, that ranks right up there with “little lady” and plenty of others that I have been called.

Reactions: cockylady50

I was being honest! But for you tar heel fans, I'll be more specific. Dean "the saint" Smith did less with more talent than any other coach in NCAA history .... look it up! As for honesty, the scandal took place during his regime also, but we need to keep that swept under the rug, don't we?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT