ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting stats on RPO

lowcountry_cock13

Oct 12, 2017
I was listening to the “Get Cocky” podcast by Rivals and they had some interesting numbers. Apparently RH threw out of the RPO much more frequently than Jake. They attributed 1 TD pass last year by Jake to an RPO, and RH first TD pass was on an RPO. Similar numbers were found by Scarnechia in the Missouri game, with throwing almost 60% of the time out of RPO.

Couple things you could draw from this. RH May be better and more comfortable reading a defense in the RPO with more confidence in himself, and may be able to execute BMacs offense more efficiently.

The long TD pass to Edwards was an RPO play. Hilinski saw single coverage and took a shot. I just don't think Bentley ever really figured out how to read the defense, which is awful because usually in an RPO offense you're either counting defenders in the box or looking for a mismatch in coverage.

Very small sample size from RH.

I do know Champ said last year that run plays were called out of the RPO more often than they should have been. Which led me at the time to ask "why don't you fix it?!?!?"

He can't stand up to the Bentleys... they must have caught him on Two Notch!

I was listening to the “Get Cocky” podcast by Rivals and they had some interesting numbers. Apparently RH threw out of the RPO much more frequently than Jake. They attributed 1 TD pass last year by Jake to an RPO, and RH first TD pass was on an RPO. Similar numbers were found by Scarnechia in the Missouri game, with throwing almost 60% of the time out of RPO.

Couple things you could draw from this. RH May be better and more comfortable reading a defense in the RPO with more confidence in himself, and may be able to execute BMacs offense more efficiently.

I read the OP's thread title and it instantly hit me and I chuckled.......

RPO = run, pass, option. Right? Right.

Question? WTF else would you do? Punt? Attempt a field goal? It almost has to be a RPO. Every play.

Anyway, carry on......

Reactions: Proudcock
Neither TD was on an RPO, they were both play action passes. The O-line was not run blocking on either, one of the guards did pull on the deep ball, but he wasn't it was part of the PA blocking scheme (I think it was the same call on the earlier deep ball that Hilinski under threw).

Reactions: Brace1
So RPO is actually run-run-pass option.

That was a very Urban style offense explanation...he usually had QB who was at least somewhat of a threat to run. It looked like most of the plays we called during Joyner's drive in the 2nd half had the option for him to run it in addition to give it to the RB or throw it.

With a QB like Hilinski you probably wouldn't want to call plays like that. Instead you going to block the DE and leave a LBer unblocked and make your read (give it to the RB or throw it) off of him, if he comes forward to play the run you throw it to a receiver that is usually attacking the area the LBer vacated. If he stays put or plays the receiver you give it to the RB.

of course you can add it specific things like box counts (like if there are only 5 defenders in the box you give the ball to the RB no matter what) or "gift" routes on the front side of the ball (if the receiver on the front side has a 5 yard hitch and the corner is lined up 10 yards off the QB should just take the snap and throw the hitch and not even mess with the RB).

It all depends on the offense a team is running and what they are trying to accomplish by running RPOs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT