ADVERTISEMENT

Is a 'spot' reviewable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SportsSuites1

Oct 17, 2007
We stopped Florida on 4th down that 1st TD drive but the ref marked with his left foot adding about 2-feet - on measurement they made it by < 2-inches and scored 4 plays later. It wasn't a TERRIBLE call but it was obvious after running several replays that the runner didn't get near the 40, more like the 40 1/2 but they marked it 3-inches from the yard marker. Our guys stood the runner STRAIGHT UP ... clearly showing the ball's 'progress' point.

Could we have asked for 'review'? That call really hurt.

Reactions: GamecockTripp
Yes it's reviewable, but it wouldn't have been smart there because there wasn't any indisputable evidence.

Right, but you just answered your own question... 'it seemed' is not the definition of indisputable. There has to be absolutely no doubt for a call to be overturned.

We noticed that at the game. It's right down the line from where we sit. It's sickening watching the refs screw up week after week, game after game(and I'm not just talking about our games).

But they aren't going to adjust a spot for less than a half yard from what I've seen. Even when a TD gets called back by barely not making it to the goal line the spot is always the half yard line, even it really should be 8 inches.

Reactions: fightingcock103
Frustrating ... little things, when it rains it pours. That call, going for the pick on 3rd and a mile giving up a 41-yard TD pass and going 3 and out after recovering the fumble on Florida's 42 ... then getting tricked on that long TD run to put it away for Florida after getting close enough to win with a stop.
Orth is decent but we need that kid coming in to be a dynamo if we're going to have any consistent offense. GREAT catch by that Freshman who got clocked immediately afterwards, but then he made a stupid illegal block after the return man was already PAST the defender he hit. Frustrating.
We had 100+ potential recruits there ... I HOPE they were saying "I can make a difference here" ... we're only a few studs from being very good once again. God knows we need another Alshon, Sidney or somebody 6'4"+ who can go up and get it ... and we need somebody who can throw it DOWN the field instead of sideways. GREAT game by #44.

Frustrating ... little things, when it rains it pours. That call, going for the pick on 3rd and a mile giving up a 41-yard TD pass and going 3 and out after recovering the fumble on Florida's 42 ... then getting tricked on that long TD run to put it away for Florida after getting close enough to win with a stop.
Orth is decent but we need that kid coming in to be a dynamo if we're going to have any consistent offense. GREAT catch by that Freshman who got clocked immediately afterwards, but then he made a stupid illegal block after the return man was already PAST the defender he hit. Frustrating.
We had 100+ potential recruits there ... I HOPE they were saying "I can make a difference here" ... we're only a few studs from being very good once again. God knows we need another Alshon, Sidney or somebody 6'4"+ who can go up and get it ... and we need somebody who can throw it DOWN the field instead of sideways. GREAT game by #44.
'
Dixon had a heckuva game. Hayden Hurst did too...he's going to be a good one....and he's 6'5"

I could be wrong, but to get a review, he would have had to use his challenge flag and might not have wanted to do it on that play. Probably less than 50-50 to get an overturn.

Reactions: Clevercock3
Yes it's reviewable, but it wouldn't have been smart there because there wasn't any indisputable evidence.

Indisputable evidence is BS. They may as well do away with replay. The miamia game recently. The spot when we played mich in the bowl. Refs should be fired for some of the decisions made

Of course it's in hindsight, but seeing that we took all 3 TO's to the locker room in the 1st half I think it would have been worth it. It was a 4th down play and would have given us the ball if they overruled the ref. Could have had a large effect on the outcome of the game.
With Elliott trying everything he can to prove he deserves a shot, I thought for sure he was going to challenge it. I was shocked when he didn't.

Not wanting to 'waste' a TO doesn't make sense. Florida had kept our D on the field in that drive for almost 7-minutes, the game was still scoreless, at WORST our guys would get a pretty-good breather (instead of giving up a 23-yard reception 8-seconds later on the VERY NEXT play) and at-best WE'D 'get the stop' get the ball, go the OTHER way and live to fight another day.
It really wasn't 'close' and the replays clearly showed the spot was wrong. JMHO. I thought that call and going for the pick instead of knocking the ball down on 3rd and a mile were the 'killer' mistakes for the day. There were 'others' ... but those two were HUGE.

Not wanting to 'waste' a TO doesn't make sense. Florida had kept our D on the field in that drive for almost 7-minutes, the game was still scoreless, at WORST our guys would get a pretty-good breather (instead of giving up a 23-yard reception 8-seconds later on the VERY NEXT play) and at-best WE'D 'get the stop' get the ball, go the OTHER way and live to fight another day.
It really wasn't 'close' and the replays clearly showed the spot was wrong. JMHO. I thought that call and going for the pick instead of knocking the ball down on 3rd and a mile were the 'killer' mistakes for the day. There were 'others' ... but those two were HUGE.

I hope Tanner doesn't bother with a courtesy interview... After 4 games, his interview is done at 1-3..

Maybe Tanner should step in a coach... Can't do any worse and may end up with a 3-run homer...;)

Reactions: jonesz21
Pepsi, if he appeals and loses, he not only loses the time out, but also his one appeal (team only gets one appeal per game if you lose on the first one}.
Remind me what other play we used or needed a review on?

Like SS1 stated, it was a scoreless game, the defense had been on the field a long time and they apparently got the stop but the refs made the wrong call. I don't know if the reviewing official would've overturned it but at that stage of the game, in a game where you are the underdog, it was worth taking the chance.

I'm still surprised SE didn't.

Reactions: Lakecock1
One of the TV announcers even said they thought he was short and it could be reviewed but went on to say, likely would not be reversed and then you loose your challenge for the rest of the gsme. He went on to say it was really early to make a challenge. He was was short, no doubt.

I could be wrong, but to get a review, he would have had to use his challenge flag and might not have wanted to do it on that play. Probably less than 50-50 to get an overturn.
There is no challenge flag in college. That is in professional football. And there is no consequence if the ruling is not in your favor. Last year Georgia challenged the spot near the end of the game when we went for it on 4th down. The play was upheld and we got a first down and won the game.

One of the TV announcers even said they thought he was short and it could be reviewed but went on to say, likely would not be reversed and then you loose your challenge for the rest of the gsme. He went on to say it was really early to make a challenge. He was was short, no doubt.
Not challenging that spot is like folding a poker hand with a royal flush because the pot's not big enough.

Seriously, how many plays does a team have to merit challenging a spot in an entire season, much less one game?
He should have challenged it. I know it's in hindsight now, but it could've been overturned and kept them from scoring. Or at the very least give our defense a well deserved rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT