ADVERTISEMENT

Is Beamer the smokescreen?

Lurker123

May 4, 2020
Dangle a candidate that gets the fanbase riled up, then pull the real candidate out?

Even the negative fans will be excited because "at least it wasn't that first guy".

Nope. Most of the fan base is not riled up by this option, just a vocal minority on this forum.

Reactions: section907
That's not how SC rolls.

If that's who they pick then I am going to feel like:

a) It was a short-sighted search that never went beyond 3-4 names;
b) He was picked because of former players and media hype;
c) It is an attempt to copy Clemson's route to success and harken back to Spurrier;
d) A money saving move - especially if Beamer retains more than 2 coaches from this staff.
e) I will have to trust the hire and see what happens over the next few years.

There have been polls which show average fan support for Beamer to be lower relative to Napier and Chadwell.

That's not how SC rolls.

c) It is an attempt to copy Clemson's route to success and harken back to Spurrier;
d) A money saving move - especially if Beamer retains more than 2 coaches from this staff.

There have been polls which show average fan support for Beamer to be lower relative to Napier and Chadwell.
I think if more people saw Beamer coach, more people would be very impressed.

Reactions: jerryusc
There's nothing to see. Right now he's an Ass't Head Coach. OU is Lincoln Riley's team. Other than that he's been a position and special teams coach?

He may turn out great. But I'd feel better about it if he had a couple of years as HC with a smaller school and was able to beat a school like Liberty, ULL or CCU.

My fear is this. Jamey Chadwell and/or Billy Napier are going to be hired by an ACC or SEC school and will spend the next decade torching our a$$es.

That's not how SC rolls.

I agree with the polls- Napier has been my top choice all along! I am glad we have plenty of good options... I also believe Beamer is about second or third on most rational fans’ list at this point though... Certainly not a choice that would “rile” most people or up cause outrage similar to what we saw from many when Muschamp was hired.

That said- would C- “ an attempt to copy Clemson's route to success and harken back to Spurrier” be such a bad thing or unwise decision? I would love it if we had a chance to get back to what Spurrier was doing and trying to copy clemsun is not unreasonable- not from the perspective of finding a Dabo clone, more from the idea of finding someone who is a character/personality fit HERE who is familiar with our program, and understands what it takes to win HERE...

There's nothing to see. Right now he's an Ass't Head Coach. OU is Lincoln Riley's team. Other than that he's been a position and special teams coach?

He may turn out great. But I'd feel better about it if he had a couple of years as HC with a smaller school and was able to beat a school like Liberty, ULL or CCU.

My fear is this. Jamey Chadwell and/or Billy Napier are going to be hired by an ACC or SEC school and will spend the next decade torching our a$$es.

Man people with Chadwell........im sure great guy, great offense, and great success .....wait for it.....South Carolina and that alone.....he has no recuiting experience or relations outside this state......this is why we are not in charge of this search

Man people with Chadwell........im sure great guy, great offense, and great success .....wait for it.....South Carolina and that alone.....he has no recuiting experience or relations outside this state......this is why we are not in charge of this search
The guy who hired the recently fired coach of Florida and then paid him 13 million to leave is in charge.

Look at the CCU roster.

Every head coach in the country worth his salt knows who the best players are and where they play.

The problem is getting in the door to talk to them. What you've got to do is win games to make these players notice.

Unless we hire Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops or Hugh Freeze that is going to be true for everyone who comes here to coach. You are talking about a program that will have won 6 games total the last two seasons. If you go back to the end of the 2018 season we will have lost 18 of 24 games.

That's damn close to where we were at the end of Brad Scott's tenure.

That is your knock on him? Lack of experience recruiting outside of this state? We are a local/regional at best recruiting program. We need someone who can recruit here and we will not get attention from outside of this area unless we have success again. (Or unless a guy like Urban Meyer is hired... Which is not happening)

Look at the CCU roster.

Every head coach in the country worth his salt knows who the best players are and where they play.

The problem is getting in the door to talk to them. What you've got to do is win games to make these players notice.

Unless we hire Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops or Hugh Freeze that is going to be true for everyone who comes here to coach. You are talking about a program that will have won 6 games total the last two seasons. If you go back to the end of the 2018 season we will have lost 18 of 24 games.

That's damn close to where we were at the end of Brad Scott's tenure.
Chadwell has many players from SC, and all over the nation at Coastal Carolina. I like that. This program has come so far so fast. They are doing something right. I like Chadwell better than Beamer.

I agree with the polls- Napier has been my top choice all along! I am glad we have plenty of good options... I also believe Beamer is about second or third on most rational fans’ list at this point though... Certainly not a choice that would “rile” most people or up cause outrage similar to what we saw from many when Muschamp was hired.

That said- would C- “ an attempt to copy Clemson's route to success and harken back to Spurrier” be such a bad thing or unwise decision? I would love it if we had a chance to get back to what Spurrier was doing and trying to copy clemsun is not unreasonable- not from the perspective of finding a Dabo clone, more from the idea of finding someone who is a character/personality fit HERE who is familiar with our program, and understands what it takes to win HERE...
What polls? Link?%

Chadwell has many players from SC, and all over the nation at Coastal Carolina. I like that. This program has come so far so fast. They are doing something right. I like Chadwell better than Beamer.
Exactly. The poster I was responding to implied he can't recruit anywhere but SC. He's got players from all over the SE.

If you want to imitate Clemson then I read this year that they only have 2 recruits from SC in their 2021 class. If we want to compete then we need to be able to recruit at least regionally and preferably nationally.

That's not how SC rolls.

Polls? Link?

Is your last name Tanner? Beamer has never been in charge of anything but a special teams unit. Riley runs the OU offense, Beamer is just his buddy along for the ride.

Beamer is a hope and a prayer...but even more so he is the cheap option. He will work for less $ than Napier or Freeze and he will save the AD money by retaining a few assistant coaches. This is nothing more than a sham search if Beamer is selected.

If you want to imitate Clemson then I read this year that they only have 2 recruits from SC in their 2021 class. If we want to compete then we need to be able to recruit at least regionally and preferably nationally.
When we were successful we dominated SC recruiting and pulled guys from all up and down the East Coast- Florida to Jersey... That is possible. What it might take to do that is someone familiar with how we did it then... 🤔

Polls? Link?
Paid sites at GCC and TBS. I can't link them. Those sites have had polls up over the last few weeks. Also, try Spurs Up on Twitter. It was up last week but it's probably 100 tweets down now.

At the time they showed Beamer as #2 or #3. That may have changed.

Is your last name Tanner? Beamer has never been in charge of anything but a special teams unit. Riley runs the OU offense, Beamer is just his buddy along for the ride.

Beamer is a hope and a prayer...but even more so he is the cheap option. He will work for less $ than Napier or Freeze and he will save the AD money by retaining a few assistant coaches. This is nothing more than a sham search if Beamer is selected.
You do realize that even assistant coaches do some coaching.

He was coordinator of STs and recruiting here at the same time AND coached various positions along with it... Has been RC other places too, currently coaches two positions in addition to AHC duties and helps with STs and recruiting at Oklahoma, he has coached positions on both sides of the ball all over the field... So how is anything you said about the man accurate? It is not. Another in quite a long list of posts that do not tell the whole story about him in an attenpt to diminish his accomplishments to further an agenda. Don’t like Beamer? Cool/fine- I get it! To each his own... But if you are going to post outlandishly wrong stuff about him people are going to call you on it. That is just not a good way to make a point..

OU poached beamer from GA just to pay him half a million and sit on his thumbs

that is logically what happened

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT