ADVERTISEMENT

Is Bentley the only QB to throw for over 500 yds vs Taters?

I just thought of the game. Weinke threw for 521 yards against them in 2000. Kingsbury threw for about 470 in '02 Tangerine Bowl and Gino Smith threw for right over 400 in '12 Orange Bowl.

Reactions: gamecockblack
Believe Jake is only one. Kingsbury threw for about 470 in '02 Tangerine Bowl and Gino Smith threw for right over 400 in '12 Orange Bowl.

Mond threw for 430 this past season as well. I know Clemson beat Alabama...destroyed them. But I don’t think it’s a coincidence the two worst defensive performances they had were against teams with a pulse.

Mond threw for 430 this past season as well. I know Clemson beat Alabama...destroyed them. But I don’t think it’s a coincidence the two worst defensive performances they had were against teams with a pulse.
I revised it. Weinke threw for 521 against them.

Reactions: Carolina4
It was a USC single game record, and with NO DEFENSE, we lost by 21. However, Blabo did put his offensive starters back in on their last drive to pad the score. Everyone knows that game was closer than the 21 point margin indicates. Clempsun fans included.

We still lost. And by 21 points whether that last TD came at the end or not, the clock was still running. It is what it is. Yeah we looked like all-stars that game, but I honestly just think it was a fluke on their part. I watched when they played A$M, Mond did put up some numbers but you can't watch that game and not notice that A$M got some lucky breaks (except for that goal-post call). Venerable's was Tua's daddy in the championship...and that was for an offense that was setting records. Pretty sure ND only scored a field goal on them as well. Like I said, I think we just caught them off-guard and it was a fluke game for the most part. I absolutely agree with your statement though, I think the score was a LOT closer than what the taters expected LOL

USC was able to exploit their below average safeties. The O-line did a great job giving him time.

Last edited:
USC was able to exploit their below average safeties. The O-line did a great job giving him time.

Both excellent points. Our OL pass blocking was outstanding that game, and their safeties got crossed up the whole game. They allowed TD after TD because our receivers got behind them all night. Finally, to THEIR CREDIT, CU's defense held us TWICE when we had first and goal situations during the game. Came away with zilch. FG's weren't an option with SIX TRUE FRESHMEN on the field at times defensively for us.

We still lost. And by 21 points whether that last TD came at the end or not, the clock was still running. It is what it is. Yeah we looked like all-stars that game, but I honestly just think it was a fluke on their part. I watched when they played A$M, Mond did put up some numbers but you can't watch that game and not notice that A$M got some lucky breaks (except for that goal-post call). Venerable's was Tua's daddy in the championship...and that was for an offense that was setting records. Pretty sure ND only scored a field goal on them as well. Like I said, I think we just caught them off-guard and it was a fluke game for the most part. I absolutely agree with your statement though, I think the score was a LOT closer than what the taters expected LOL
I believe Clemson didn't allow any points in the 2nd half of their last 3 games after playing the Gamecocks. Speaks volumes of how well we played against them that night.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT